Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I never heard of this before, so I went to Wikipedia and did a quick google search for Pope Eutychian in general and his connection to beans and grapes in general

it seems VERY little is known about him, but some sources seem to claim that he allowed beans and grapes to be brought up to the alter and blessed as a sign of thanksgiving from the farmers
there does not seem to be hard history on this
latter on it was common for farmers to present their produce at the alter for as a sign of thanks giving
but Pope Eutychian died in 283 so very little is known about him

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Even if such a proclamation was bade back in the 200s, it would not be binding today aswe have a long history of blessing things at Mass and in a church, but outside Mass.

Basically, one Pope cannot bind a future Pope to do anything. So if he prohibited blessings of things other than beans and cornbread at Mass, another Pope could easily overturn it. Only on matters of faith and morals are the Popes infallible.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read somewhere that "Pope Eutychian decreed that only beans and grapes be blessed at Mass."

Has anyone heard of this, or is anyone able to comment on this ?

Is it historically plausible, and if so, can anyone comment on the background for this ?
The first clue is "I read somewhere". Doesn't sound authoritative, but somebody speculating based on iffy history. Also, Blessing the produce of the local farmers in Italy 1800 years ago does not have any bearing on what is done by other popes or clerics in other times and places. And as others have said here, there is little factual documentation of that pope, so we really have no idea of what he said or decreed. Finally, considering that the "popes" of that time had no unilateral authority over the entire church, whatever he did decree about beans and grapes would have had no impact on the rest of the church.

Upvote 0