Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't know if this will sound presumptuous, I hope not, but I think it is worth remembering sometimes that no matter how we notionally cut the cake, there is still only one cake.

All Christians are members of the one holy catholic church, which is the bride of Christ. So schism away or not, it matters not a jot.

(Mixed metaphors are a terrible thing. But at least I kept to the wedding theme.)

Jul 11, 2008
✟15,178.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
All Christians are members of the one holy catholic church, which is the bride of Christ. So schism away or not, it matters not a jot.

[/QUOTE]

I agree to some extent, all baptised Christians are made Catholics and they are confirmed in their membership by the Bishops the descendants of the apostles! But there's something else surely, to have admittance to the Catholic Church, the Body of Christ,(Bride of Christ,) one must hold to the faith of Christ which was revealed by Christ and enshrined in Scripture. This is the purpose of the Bishop's confirmation, I would have thought? The scriptures are completed, explained and interpreted by Holy Tradition. Anglicans pursue this in the Seven Councils and the consensus of the Greek Fathers of the early church. The Councils are the site of the intervention of the Holy Ghost in to the Church. (Jude 3.)

Schism away it matters not a jot!

Well, you might be right in your interpretation of this. But scripture is full of injunctions to unity, as well from the apostles as from Christ. We are united to Christ through His Church!
By your favour!

[/B]

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I like your take on this. I tend to believe if we have belief, faith and are trying to live in HIS word, we are in HIS CHURCH.

1 Samuel 16:7 ".....For the Lord seeth not as man seeth; man looketh outward apperance, but the Lord looketh on the HEART."

I sometimes think of life as being like walking a tightrope. If you look down you will fall, so you have to have your eyes way ahead of you, to where you want to end up, and trust your feet to find the rope, and the pole you are holding onto to keep you balanced.

It is very scarey with everyone talking about the abyss and how we are all about to fall into it. Far better to think in a rather bigger picture.

I get very anxious about stuff sometimes. This is me trying not to worry about the Anglican communion.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
:thumbsup: Very true...and something that we all, unfortunately, can tend to forget when in the midst of these discussions.

I tried not to listen to the discussions, so I would not get upset. Then my priest went and read a letter from his bishop out in church, at the end of the service, and I really didn't want to listen. I go to church for communion, not for politics. I have not been back since then, and I am not sure when I will return.

I have not left the Anglican communion, but I don't want to hear about division or discord. I am not in denial, but I am unwell. I have ptsd, and have a very low tolerance for anger, violence, rejection; you name it. So I only need to commune with God, talk nicely with my friends, and not hear anyone getting aerated over nothing.

Not sure why, in that case, I come to this forum for fun. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Is there a difference though between one holy catholic church and one holy catholic apostolic church?

I would say definitely. Our identity is tied up in our apostolic nature.

Ours is, but I personally cannot presume to exclude the low churches from the Universal Church. That is why I left that bit out.

Everyone is welcome at the wedding feast of the lamb. :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is there a difference though between one holy catholic church and one holy catholic apostolic church?

I would say definitely. Our identity is tied up in our apostolic nature.

Interestingly, the Creed in the American BCP (1928) renders it the "one Catholic and Apostolic Church." No one thinks that we're saying it's unholy, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly, the Creed in the American BCP (1928) renders it the "one Catholic and Apostolic Church." No one thinks that we're saying it's unholy, though.
Why the omission of the word holy from the way it was in the original creed?

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

To Catherineanne,

Except that schism away from a church denomination is different from schism away from faith in Christ. The potential schism for most Anglicans is not about breaking from the church but breaking from the historic apostolic faith once delivered.
I suggest Jesus Christ knows His sheep whatever church or denomination they are in.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why the omission of the word holy from the way it was in the original creed?

Offhand, I don't know. However, I'll see if I can find out. The church certain affirms its belief in the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church, and the omission of the one word from the Creed now seems to members of the Church to be a slip-up.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
To Catherineanne,

Except that schism away from a church denomination is different from schism away from faith in Christ. The potential schism for most Anglicans is not about breaking from the church but breaking from the historic apostolic faith once delivered.
I suggest Jesus Christ knows His sheep whatever church or denomination they are in.

Certainly Our Lord knows his sheep.

However, no schismatic that I am aware of ever schisms away from anything. Generally they see it as remaining on the straight and narrow, and avoiding the schism of the main body away from that s&n.

Which ignores the fact that since the birth of the church, the voice of the consensus of the synod of the church (and never that of just one person, whoever that person might be) has been taken to be the voice of God.

:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.