USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if you stand by every word in this link you have posted for us all?
Have I research every single reference in this document, no, but I have researched this topic enough to satisfy my beliefs on what happened to the early Christians and how they were persecuted, and the way history has a way of repeating itself (deadly wound would heal) which would fulfill prophecy in scripture and what's to come.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There's lot of sources out there- history has a way of rewriting itself as it was thousands of years ago, but not everyone forgets

"The Papacy" is some sort of shorthand for Catholic people, including civil rulers and their armies, as well as their courts, and possibly their people when riots or other disorders are happening. The thesis that "The Papacy" killed 50,000,000 or more people seems to be a very confused agglomeration of war dead, criminal dead, crusade dead, riot dead, and whatever else the authors want to claim "the papacy" did. It is unhistorical propaganda. Your post relies on bad sources to put forward a bad thesis that is close to nothing but anti-Catholic spleen venting.

This thread is not about who killed whom and when and if any Pope ordered it or knew about it before or after the fact. But it seems to me that a good number of Seventh Day Adventists post on subjects such as this estimate of the number killed in conflicts involving Catholics. This thread is about the founding of the Church in Rome in or around the 30s AD, soon after the sermon in Acts chapter two. Please make some effort to remain relevant to the topic.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Have I research every single reference in this document, no, but I have researched this topic enough to satisfy my beliefs on what happened to the early Christians and how they were persecuted, and the way history has a way of repeating itself (deadly wound would heal) which would fulfill prophecy in scripture and what's to come.
So you DON'T endorse the whole content of the link you posted. Which parts do you endorse fully and which parts do you not endorse as absolutely true?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So you DON'T endorse the whole content of the link you posted. Which parts do you endorse fully and which parts do you not endorse as absolutely true?
Already made my statement. Take care.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Please, do not feed the propagandists.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

MOD HAT ON

1700621514326.png

This thread has gone through a large cleaning of off-topic posts.
Please stay on topic now.
Thanks.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's lot of sources out there- history has a way of rewriting itself as it was thousands of years ago, but not everyone forgets

The author of that, David A. Plaisted, is not a historian or a professor of history or anything that gives him particular credentials to try to offer any estimation. He's a computer programmer.

But the author's lack of credentials aside, let's let's talk about the problems of the essay itself. There's a lot of problems throughout it, but most of them boil down to one simple issue: David Plaisted relies very strongly, and for the most part uncritically, on assertions made in non-scholarly older works (often 19th century or earlier) that are heavily biased against Catholicism. In contrast, neutral scholarly sources from more recent years are used infrequently. It is not particularly surprising that when one primarily uses such sources, you end up with conclusions of high numbers of deaths because that's the claim so many of those sources are trying to advance to begin with. One might as well try to write an assessment of Donald Trump's presidency based on articles on Mother Jones, or an assessment of Joseph Biden's based on Breitbart articles.

Time prevents me from giving too many examples of what I'm talking about, but I'll point to a few.

Joseph McCabe's work "The Story of Religious Controversy" (McCabe was an atheist, so you can probably guess what he was arguing in the book) is cited for the claim that Spain had a population of thirty million in the tenth century, but it was only twenty two million in McCabe's time. This is used in the linked essay to posit massive loss of life. The problem is, McCabe offers no citation whatsoever for this thirty million people living in Spain claim, which seems to be completely wrong. "Atlas of World Population History" gives an estimate of four million for Spain's population at the time (if you want to include Portugal, you can add 0.6 million). Note that Atlas of World Population History is actually cited elsewhere in the essay, but instead he just took McCabe's unsourced and inaccurate number and made a bunch of calculations based on a totally inaccurate number.

Similarly asserted (without a clear citation) is the claim that "During its rise to power, the Papacy also essentially exterminated the Heruli shortly after 493 A.D., the Vandals soon after 533 A.D., and the Ostrogoths in 554 A.D, all of whom were asserted to hold to the Arian belief." It is unclear how "the Papacy" exterminated them, when the Heruli were defeated by the Lombards, while the Vandals and Ostrogoths were routed by the Byzantines. Essentially any encyclopedia will tell you this; look them up for yourself on Wikipedia or Britannica. To blame the papacy for the Heruli's destruction makes especially little sense, as the ones who actually did it (the Lombards) were themselves Arians, enemies of the Roman Catholic Church.

Perhaps the source for this inaccurate claim, even if not explicitly cited, is Taylor Bunch's work "The Book of Daniel", as almost right after the above quote the essay says:

""It is reckoned that during the reign of Justinian, Africa lost five millions of inhabitants; thus Arianism was extinguished in that region, not by any enforcement of conformity, but by the extermination of the race which had introduced and professed it. History of the Christian Church, J.C. Robertson, Vol. 1, p. 521."
-- Bunch, Taylor, The Book of Daniel, p. 101.

Of course, the Heruli and the Ostrogoths also undoubtedly numbered in the millions, and were exterminated."

I am not sure if this is trying to imply that the five million mentioned here is ascribed to the papacy or not. It doesn't explicitly say it, but it certainly seems to be implying it, even though the actual person blamed for the five million deaths is Justinian. Whether it is or not, the five million claim here is very dubious. If one looks at J.C. Robertson's work that is being cited, we see where this claim comes from. This comes from a writer named Procopius, or more accurately his work "Secret History". Secret History is an unpublished work by Procopius that is extraordinarily critical of Justinian (some have speculated it may have been written as insurance by Procopius in the possibility Justinian was overthrown, so that Procopius could show the work off to prove he was never loyal to him), and makes that five million claim. The problem is, that comes a few sentences after Procopius says Justinian killed a trillion people overall (the five million just being a small portion); see Chapter 18, entitled "How Justinian Killed a Trillion People". Perhaps it is just me, but if a source claims a man killed more people than have actually lived on Earth, I would be extremely cautious trusting any other numbers it makes. So yet again, a claim is just uncritically accepted despite there being real issues with it.

Another case of accepting a claim of a polemical source uncritically is this portion:

"There is some additional information about the number killed in Europe in the Middle Ages. For this, G. H. Orchard in A Concise History of the Baptists, 1855, chapter 2, section 11 estimates that there were over 3 million persons possessing evangelical views in northern Italy in 1260, and mentions another authority as giving an estimate twice as large. He states that the number eventually "quadrated," which may imply that it became four times as large, that is, 12 million or possibly 24 million persons, whom he calls Anabaptists. Almost all of these were presumably killed in persecutions."

Having looked at the source, Orchard arrives at his number via some dodgy math. First he says that "Perrin estimates their number in 1260, at eight hundred thousand persons." Then he engages in a bunch of speculation in supposing that this was actually just the number of "communicants" (by which I assume he means churchgoers) and the number of "adherents" (by which I assume he means the number who actually have belief but aren't necessarily active in practicing them) is higher than that, at a ratio of 3-to-1. So he multiplies the number by four and gets 3.2 million (the claim of "another authority as giving an estimate twice as large" is not quite accurate--what happens is Orchard refers to someone else who supposes a 7-to-1 ratio and therefore a multiplying of 8, which Orchard changes to 3-to-1 for the purpose of his claims). And thus the essay takes that, "quadrates" it based on Orchard saying that (why Orchard says that is unclear, but it's accepted uncritically in the essay).

Setting aside the obvious speculation used to get a bigger number out of it, what this is all based on--a population of eight hundred thousand in 1260--is false. Perrin in Chapter 2 of Book 2 of "History of the Old Waldenses" (the work cited by Orchard) does give the eight hundred thousand claim, but says it's for the year 1530. This is well after the 1260 that is claimed by G.H. Orchard and the linked essay, and 1260 date is required for the linked essay's claims on this number (i.e. that we can consider "almost all of these" to have been killed in persecutions) to work. Especially interesting is that Perrin holds up the eight hundred thousand number as evidence of the group's persistence in the face of prior persecution, but the essay (due to not bothering to verify the claim) tries to--after coming up with some ways to artificially increase it to 12-24 million--use it as evidence of many deaths afterwards by supposing that they all died. Sure, part of the problem was G.H. Orchard mixing up what his source said, but perhaps the essay's author shouldn't have uncritically accepted a claim made in a 19th century book that was pushing the now-largely-discredited theory of baptist successionism? Heck, the essay itself cites Perrin's work elsewhere, so looking it up to verify it was clearly very possible!

Yes, I know this is only a few examples (I could list many more, but this has already taken enough time), but it seems sufficient to establish the recurring problem of the essay you are linking to, it relying so heavily on old biased non-scholarly works and taking their claims as apparent fact, and engaging in its own speculations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The author of that, David A. Plaisted, is not a historian or a professor of history or anything that gives him particular credentials to try to offer any estimation. He's a computer programmer.

But the author's lack of credentials aside, let's let's talk about the problems of the essay itself. There's a lot of problems throughout it, but most of them boil down to one simple issue: The essay relies very strongly, and for the most part uncritically, on assertions made in non-scholarly older works (often 19th century or earlier) that are heavily biased against Catholicism. In contrast, neutral scholarly sources from more recent years are used infrequently. It is not particularly surprising that when one primarily uses such sources, you end up with conclusions of high numbers of deaths because that's the claim so many of those sources are trying to advance to begin with. One might as well try to write an assessment of Donald Trump's presidency based on articles on Mother Jones, or an assessment of Joseph Biden's based on Breitbart articles.

Time prevents me from giving too many examples of what I'm talking about, but I'll point to a few.

Joseph McCabe's work "The Story of Religious Controversy" (McCabe was an atheist, so you can probably guess what he was arguing in the book) is cited for the claim that Spain had a population of thirty million in the tenth century, but it was only twenty two million in McCabe's time. This is used in the essay to posit massive loss of life. The problem is, McCabe offers no citation whatsoever for this thirty million people living in Spain claim, which seems to be completely wrong. "Atlas of World Population History" gives an estimate of four million for Spain's population at the time (if you want to include Portugal, you can add 0.6 million). Note that Atlas of World Population History is actually cited elsewhere in the essay, but instead he just took McCabe's unsourced and inaccurate number and made a bunch of calculations based on a totally inaccurate number.

Similarly asserted (without a clear citation) is the claim that "During its rise to power, the Papacy also essentially exterminated the Heruli shortly after 493 A.D., the Vandals soon after 533 A.D., and the Ostrogoths in 554 A.D, all of whom were asserted to hold to the Arian belief." It is unclear how "the Papacy" exterminated them, when the Heruli were defeated by the Lombards, while the Vandals and Ostrogoths were routed by the Byzantines. Essentially any encyclopedia will tell you this; look them up for yourself on Wikipedia or Britannica. To blame the papacy for the Heruli's destruction makes especially little sense, as the ones who actually did it (the Lombards) were themselves Arians, enemies of the Roman Catholic Church.

Perhaps the source for this inaccurate claim, even if not explicitly cited, is Taylor Bunch's work "The Book of Daniel", as almost right after the above quote the essay says:

""It is reckoned that during the reign of Justinian, Africa lost five millions of inhabitants; thus Arianism was extinguished in that region, not by any enforcement of conformity, but by the extermination of the race which had introduced and professed it. History of the Christian Church, J.C. Robertson, Vol. 1, p. 521."

Of course, the Heruli and the Ostrogoths also undoubtedly numbered in the millions, and were exterminated."

I am not sure if the essay is trying to imply that the five million mentioned here is ascribed to the papacy or not. It doesn't explicitly say it, but it certainly seems to be implying it, even though the actual person blamed for the five million deaths is Justinian. Whether it is or not, the five million claim here is very dubious. If one looks at J.C. Robertson's work that is being cited, we see where this claim comes from. This comes from a writer named Procopius, or more accurately his work "Secret History". Secret History is an unpublished work by Procopius that is extraordinarily critical of Justinian (some have speculated it may have been written as insurance by Procopius in the possibility Justinian was overthrown, so that Procopius could show the work off to prove he was never loyal to him), and makes that five million claim. The problem is, that comes a few sentences after Procopius says Justinian killed a trillion people overall (the five million just being a small portion); see Chapter 18, entitled "How Justinian Killed a Trillion People". Perhaps it is just me, but if a source claims a man killed more people than have actually lived on Earth, I would be extremely cautious trusting any other numbers it makes. So yet again, a claim is just uncritically accepted despite there being real issues with it.

Another case of accepting a claim of a polemical source uncritically is this portion of the essay:

"There is some additional information about the number killed in Europe in the Middle Ages. For this, G. H. Orchard in A Concise History of the Baptists, 1855, chapter 2, section 11 estimates that there were over 3 million persons possessing evangelical views in northern Italy in 1260, and mentions another authority as giving an estimate twice as large. He states that the number eventually "quadrated," which may imply that it became four times as large, that is, 12 million or possibly 24 million persons, whom he calls Anabaptists. Almost all of these were presumably killed in persecutions."

Having looked at the source, Orchard arrives at his number via some dodgy math. First he says that "Perrin estimates their number in 1260, at eight hundred thousand persons." Then he engages in a bunch of speculation in supposing that this was actually just the number of "communicants" (by which I assume he means churchgoers) and the number of "adherents" (by which I assume he means the number who actually have belief but aren't necessarily active in practicing them) is higher than that, at a ratio of 3-to-1. So he multiplies the number by four and gets 3.2 million (the linked essay's claim of "another authority as giving an estimate twice as large" is not quite accurate--what happens is Orchard refers to someone else who supposes a 7-to-1 ratio and therefore a multiplying of 8, which Orchard changes to 3-to-1 for the purpose of his claims). And thus the essay takes that, "quadrates" it based on Orchard saying that (why Orchard says that is unclear, but it's accepted uncritically by the essay).

Setting aside the obvious speculation used to get a bigger number out of it, what this is all based on--a population of eight hundred thousand in 1260--is false. Perrin in Chapter 2 of Book 2 of "History of the Old Waldenses" (the work cited by Orchard) does give the eight hundred thousand claim, but says it's for the year 1530. This is well after the 1260 that is claimed by G.H. Orchard and the essay, and 1260 date is required for the essay's claims on this number (i.e. that we can consider "almost all of these" to have been killed in persecutions) to work. Especially interesting is that Perrin holds up the eight hundred thousand number as evidence of the group's persistence in the face of prior persecution, but the essay (due to not bothering to verify the claim) tries to--after coming up with some ways to artificially increase it to 12-24 million--use it as evidence of many deaths afterwards by supposing that they all died. Sure, part of the problem was G.H. Orchard mixing up what his source said, but perhaps the essay's author shouldn't have uncritically accepted a claim made in a 19th century book that was pushing the now-largely-discredited theory of baptist successionism? Heck, the essay itself cites Perrin's work elsewhere, so looking it up to verify it was clearly very possible!

Yes, I know this is only a few examples (I could list many more, but this has already taken enough time), but it seems sufficient to establish the recurring problem of the essay you are linking to, it relying so heavily on old biased non-scholarly works and taking their claims as apparent fact, and engaging in its own speculations.
The nonsense claim about 50 million deaths at the hand of the papacy is the stuff that Ellen White's "The Great Controversy" promotes.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

But the author's lack of credentials aside, let's let's talk about the problems of the essay itself. There's a lot of problems throughout it, but most of them boil down to one simple issue: David Plaisted relies very strongly, and for the most part uncritically, on assertions made in non-scholarly older works (often 19th century or earlier) that are heavily biased against Catholicism. In contrast, neutral scholarly sources from more recent years are used infrequently. It is not particularly surprising that when one primarily uses such sources, you end up with conclusions of high numbers of deaths because that's the claim so many of those sources are trying to advance to begin with. One might as well try to write an assessment of Donald Trump's presidency based on articles on Mother Jones, or an assessment of Joseph Biden's based on Breitbart articles.

Joseph McCabe's work "The Story of Religious Controversy" (McCabe was an atheist, so you can probably guess what he was arguing in the book) is cited for the claim that Spain had a population of thirty million in the tenth century, but it was only twenty two million in McCabe's time. This is used in the linked essay to posit massive loss of life. The problem is, McCabe offers no citation whatsoever for this thirty million people living in Spain claim, which seems to be completely wrong. "Atlas of World Population History" gives an estimate of four million for Spain's population at the time (if you want to include Portugal, you can add 0.6 million). Note that Atlas of World Population History is actually cited elsewhere in the essay, but instead he just took McCabe's unsourced and inaccurate number and made a bunch of calculations based on a totally inaccurate number.

I am not sure if this is trying to imply that the five million mentioned here is ascribed to the papacy or not. It doesn't explicitly say it, but it certainly seems to be implying it, even though the actual person blamed for the five million deaths is Justinian. Whether it is or not, the five million claim here is very dubious. If one looks at J.C. Robertson's work that is being cited, we see where this claim comes from. This comes from a writer named Procopius, or more accurately his work "Secret History". Secret History is an unpublished work by Procopius that is extraordinarily critical of Justinian (some have speculated it may have been written as insurance by Procopius in the possibility Justinian was overthrown, so that Procopius could show the work off to prove he was never loyal to him), and makes that five million claim. The problem is, that comes a few sentences after Procopius says Justinian killed a trillion people overall (the five million just being a small portion); see Chapter 18, entitled "How Justinian Killed a Trillion People". Perhaps it is just me, but if a source claims a man killed more people than have actually lived on Earth, I would be extremely cautious trusting any other numbers it makes. So yet again, a claim is just uncritically accepted despite there being real issues with it.

Another case of accepting a claim of a polemical source uncritically is this portion:

Having looked at the source, Orchard arrives at his number via some dodgy math. First he says that "Perrin estimates their number in 1260, at eight hundred thousand persons." Then he engages in a bunch of speculation in supposing that this was actually just the number of "communicants" (by which I assume he means churchgoers) and the number of "adherents" (by which I assume he means the number who actually have belief but aren't necessarily active in practicing them) is higher than that, at a ratio of 3-to-1. So he multiplies the number by four and gets 3.2 million (the claim of "another authority as giving an estimate twice as large" is not quite accurate--what happens is Orchard refers to someone else who supposes a 7-to-1 ratio and therefore a multiplying of 8, which Orchard changes to 3-to-1 for the purpose of his claims). And thus the essay takes that, "quadrates" it based on Orchard saying that (why Orchard says that is unclear, but it's accepted uncritically in the essay).

Setting aside the obvious speculation used to get a bigger number out of it, what this is all based on--a population of eight hundred thousand in 1260--is false. Perrin in Chapter 2 of Book 2 of "History of the Old Waldenses" (the work cited by Orchard) does give the eight hundred thousand claim, but says it's for the year 1530. This is well after the 1260 that is claimed by G.H. Orchard and the linked essay, and 1260 date is required for the linked essay's claims on this number (i.e. that we can consider "almost all of these" to have been killed in persecutions) to work. Especially interesting is that Perrin holds up the eight hundred thousand number as evidence of the group's persistence in the face of prior persecution, but the essay (due to not bothering to verify the claim) tries to--after coming up with some ways to artificially increase it to 12-24 million--use it as evidence of many deaths afterwards by supposing that they all died. Sure, part of the problem was G.H. Orchard mixing up what his source said, but perhaps the essay's author shouldn't have uncritically accepted a claim made in a 19th century book that was pushing the now-largely-discredited theory of baptist successionism? Heck, the essay itself cites Perrin's work elsewhere, so looking it up to verify it was clearly very possible!

I had similar misgivings, but my main issue was simply the logistics of the claimed number of deaths in such short periods of time. Plus the lack of any archaeological corroboration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I had similar misgivings, but my main issue was simply the logistics of the claimed number of deaths in such short periods of time. Plus the lack of any archaeological corroboration.
There probably were not 50,000,000 people in Europe living in the period mentioned.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The term “history has a way of rewriting itself” is a reference to how the facts can be skewed and exaggerated over time. The Middle Ages weren’t thousands of years ago and I guarantee nobody remembers what happened back then. So all you have to base your claim on is what was rewritten because you haven’t provided a single shred of evidence except for hearsay of hearsay. 50 million just in the inquisitions alone? That’s ridiculous. Why don’t you try an actual credible source like Britannica.com that is a secular source of credible information with no affiliation with any church instead of some random spurious website nobody has ever heard of with no credible reputation?

The inquisition employed two kinds of prisons, both staffed by laymen. One type was the murus largus, or open prison, which consisted of cells built around a courtyard in which the inmates enjoyed considerable freedom. The other type was the murus strictus, a high-security prison, where inmates were kept in solitary confinement, often in chains. Heretics who admitted their errors but refused to recant were handed over to the secular authorities and burned at the stake. There were usually not many cases of this kind, because the chief aim of the inquisitors was to reconcileheretics to the church. On rare occasions, however, large public executions did take place, as at Verona in 1278, when some 200 Cathars were burned.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

How exactly did you research it? Did you try any credible reputable sources?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How exactly did you research it? Did you try any credible reputable sources?
Prove the source is not credible. Your opinion is not the same as proof. Have you checked every reference and researched every data point? It's a well-known fact about what happened, but if you want to place your trust in the RCC institution we have free will.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Prove the source is not credible. Your opinion is not the same as proof. Have you checked every reference and researched every data point? It's a well-known fact about what happened, but if you want to place your trust in the RCC institution we have free will.
I quoted a credible source, Britannica.com not some random website nobody’s ever heard of. Are you familiar with Britanica? They’ve been making encyclopedias since 1768.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I quoted a credible source, Britannica.com not some random website nobody’s ever heard of. Are you familiar with Britanica? They’ve been making encyclopedias since 1768.
I have seen once reliable sources re-write history, like I said if you want to place your faith in Rome, your choice. I have seen errors in Britanica as they are written by man. The only fully reliable source is God's Word and I do not place my faith in the church who openly claims they were the ones to change times and laws and admits not on the authority of scripture.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There were indeed executions in those time for many many crimes, including heresy. The inquisitions established a formal process to benefit defendants, for example, adopting St. Paul's statement about requiring multiple witnesses. To get a handle on the numbers, the most well known Grand Inquisitor of the Medieval Inquisition, over a period of 17 years, was in charge of 920 cases of heresy. 42, or about 5 percent of his cases, ended up with executions. In the Spanish Inquisition the famous grand inquisitor Torquemada had 1 percent of his cases end in execution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was curious about the actual population number in Europe:

"Between 1500 and 1750 the European population doubled from about 65 million to around 127.5 million."

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0