Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have know southern baptist to do snake handling. They don't believe in tongues? I guess they don't believe the Bible then huh. Paul speaks of this gift. Really i grow tired of battling in the world then coming here and have to justify everything I say to the same so called Christians. What you do to me you do to Jesus.

HI bluelion,

I must agree with dawn star. I've fellow-shipped with southern baptist associated fellowships for about 18 years and I have never known one to practice tongues. I've listened to a couple of messages regarding the practice of tongues in those southern baptist associated fellowships and they have always been consistent in explaining that the tongues, as they believe was practiced, was speaking in languages that were unknown to the speaker. None of them have ever supported the understanding of tongues as some practice of babbling or a cacophony of sounds made by some congregations that do practice tongues as a part of their regular worship.

Of course, I readily admit that I haven't visited all southern baptist associated fellowships, but that is my personal experience. I have also never known a southern baptist affiliated fellowship to practice snake handling, but obviously you've had different experiences.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have done nothing to you. All I did was disagree with what you stated. This is a discussion forum and it is the nature of the beast that you sometimes have to justify what you say with facts. Please do not try to equate disagreeing with you with doing something "bad" to Jesus. That is absolutely ridiculous. And by saying I am a so called Christian you are questioning my salvation and breaking the forum rules.
no its not you called your self a Christian so called means you call your self a christian. I did not give my opinion on the matter. Interesting you would say something bad to Jesus, sounds like guilt. If you did nothing wrong you have no worries. :)

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
HI bluelion,

I must agree with dawn star. I've fellow-shipped with southern baptist associated fellowships for about 18 years and I have never known one to practice tongues. I've listened to a couple of messages regarding the practice of tongues in those southern baptist associated fellowships and they have always been consistent in explaining that the tongues, as they believe was practiced, was speaking in languages that were unknown to the speaker. None of them have ever supported the understanding of tongues as some practice of babbling or a cacophony of sounds made by some congregations that do practice tongues as a part of their regular worship.

Of course, I readily admit that I haven't visited all southern baptist associated fellowships, but that is my personal experience. I have also never known a southern baptist affiliated fellowship to practice snake handling, but obviously you've had different experiences.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted
Yeah I don't know where you grew up but back in the 80's down some back road you would find a church that were baptist and handle snakes. You would also find speaking in tongues common. Now I have lived all over the country as my wife and both of us have experience this. When you go to lot of churches all over the country you see all kinds of things, just because you have not seen it does not mean it is not so. In fact the southern baptist church I grew up were know as hell fire and brimstone preachers it was so common it was a joke in movies, now you may say no it does not change the fact. So tell me why I have to justify my self to you? Oh right I said it was this and you had not experience that, so I must be wrong. Is that right? do you see the issue yet?

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
no its not you called your self a Christian so called means you call your self a christian. I did not give my opinion on the matter. Interesting you would say something bad to Jesus, sounds like guilt. If you did nothing wrong you have no worries. :)
I really do not believe you understood what I was saying.

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have know southern baptist to do snake handling. They don't believe in tongues? I guess they don't believe the Bible then huh. Paul speaks of this gift. Really i grow tired of battling in the world then coming here and have to justify everything I say to the same so called Christians. What you do to me you do to Jesus.
I am not exactly sure who this comment was aimed toward but nothing I said was meant to be disrespectful. I grew up in the Southern Baptist denomination and am still in it so I was speaking from my own experience. I apologize if you felt anything I said was rude, disrespectful, or hateful. I asked the original question for clarity, not to start a debate...which is where it seems to be going.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have done nothing to you. All I did was disagree with what you stated. This is a discussion forum and it is the nature of the beast that you sometimes have to justify what you say with facts. Please do not try to equate disagreeing with you with doing something "bad" to Jesus. That is absolutely ridiculous. And by saying I am a so called Christian you are questioning my salvation and breaking the forum rules.

Your post did not attack him or Jesus in any way. Carry on.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not exactly sure who this comment was aimed toward but nothing I said was meant to be disrespectful. I grew up in the Southern Baptist denomination and am still in it so I was speaking from my own experience. I apologize if you felt anything I said was rude, disrespectful, or hateful. I asked the original question for clarity, not to start a debate...which is where it seems to be going.

Nothing you said attacked him or Jesus in any way. Carry on.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

She said nothing to attack you or Jesus in any way. And her saying that she said nothing to attack you or Jesus in any way is not thereby an expression of guilt on her part, but an expression of fact.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
She said nothing to attack you or Jesus in any way. And her saying that she said nothing to attack you or Jesus in any way is not thereby an expression of guilt on her part, but an expression of fact.
You can't help but harass me, was I speaking to you, why is it you follow threat to threat and try to point out where i am wrong? I do not follow you, why are you following me? every where i post there you are and your group it is the same group of people, you twin hammster, same group always the Calvinist.

Ok lets straighten it out I never said she attack me or Jesus, what I said is what you do to me you do to Jesus, fact Truth, deal with it. I never gave any name until just now. No Christian harasses another Christian and is a child of God, sorry but you have to actually follow Jesus, and I don't care its true you have to follow Jesus or at least try to Be a Christian.

Fact tall I never see you on the prayer walls, I have never seen you pray for one person, but what I have seen is you cut people down over and over. To the mods how many times do I have to report people before this group of people is dealt with? How about a Calvinist section because they can not get along with other baptist. and Calvinist is a sect not the majority.

and tall if you got a problem with what I said take it up with God Jesus said it, what you do to the least of my brothers you do to me. So you want to tell more about how I am untrue when they are not even my words.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You can't help but harass me, was I speaking to you, why is it you follow threat to threat and try to point out where i am wrong? I do not follow you, why are you following me? every where i post there you are and your group it is the same group of people, you twin hammster, same group always the Calvinist.

Ok lets straighten it out I never said she attack me or Jesus, what I said is what you do to me you do to Jesus, fact Truth, deal with it. I never gave any name until just now. No Christian harasses another Christian and is a child of God, sorry but you have to actually follow Jesus, and I don't care its true you have to follow Jesus or at least try to Be a Christian.

Fact tall I never see you on the prayer walls, I have never seen you pray for one person, but what I have seen is you cut people down over and over. To the mods how many times do I have to report people before this group of people is dealt with? How about a Calvinist section because they can not get along with other baptist. and Calvinist is a sect not the majority.

and tall if you got a problem with what I said take it up with God Jesus said it, what you do to the least of my brothers you do to me. So you want to tell more about how I am untrue when they are not even my words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry its not you I have been harassed by the same group of people for over a year now The Calvinist. I am not the only one either

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am not a Calvanist. And no one attacked you or Jesus in this thread.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry its not you I have been harassed by the same group of people for over a year now The Calvinist.
I am not a Calvanist. And no one attacked you or Jesus in this thread.
is that what I said did I say they attack me and Jesus, i believe what I said was what you do to me you do to Jesus, and ask the question why I have to justify my self.

How is you say that? no one said they did attack me, can you even quote right. I tell you want I bring my case before the Judge about you, let us stand before the throne, and you plead your case and me mine and we will see who is who. Elohim My mighty God, I ask you to Judge between us. To Judge this matter who is yours and who is not. I ask your will be done and ask Jesus defend me, but I beg you God for truth to come out and you to Judge.

hows that? you probably don't even respect what I just asked but you will.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As to snake handling Baptists, I can't say as I ever met one, but that is not to say they might not exist. If Blue saw some, I have no reason to doubt that. Since the practice is often illegal you don't see a lot of folks advertising it, with the possible exception of that National Geographic program.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
is that what I said did I say they attack me and Jesus, i believe what I said was what you do to me you do to Jesus, and ask the question why I have to justify my self.

How is you say that? no one said they did attack me, can you even quote right. I tell you want I bring my case before the Judge about you, let us stand before the throne, and you plead your case and me mine and we will see who is who. Elohim My mighty God, I ask you to Judge between us. To Judge this matter who is yours and who is not. I ask your will be done and ask Jesus defend me, but I beg you God for truth to come out and you to Judge.

hows that? you probably don't even respect what I just asked but you will.

Rom 14:4 Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

Rom 14:10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God;
Rom 14:11 for it is written, "As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God."
Rom 14:12 So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.
Rom 14:13 Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.

1Co 4:5 Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.

May God bless us both Blue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I don't know where you grew up but back in the 80's down some back road you would find a church that were baptist and handle snakes. You would also find speaking in tongues common. Now I have lived all over the country as my wife and both of us have experience this. When you go to lot of churches all over the country you see all kinds of things, just because you have not seen it does not mean it is not so. In fact the southern baptist church I grew up were know as hell fire and brimstone preachers it was so common it was a joke in movies, now you may say no it does not change the fact. So tell me why I have to justify my self to you? Oh right I said it was this and you had not experience that, so I must be wrong. Is that right? do you see the issue yet?

Hi BL,

You absolutely don't have to justify yourself to me, I was just offering my experience. I do agree that baptist fellowships have been and many still are led by teachers and preachers who teach 'hellfire and brimstone' and I'm in complete agreement that the Scriptures do speak of such an eternal existence for those who have not the Christ. It is also not a matter of your being wrong, but rather what one might consider 'normative'. The OP was asking about 'old southern baptist beliefs' and while I would never say that you couldn't possibly have had the experience that you say you have had, I don't think it has ever been considered 'normative' 'old southern baptist beliefs' to handle snakes and speak in tongues. Would this then mean that there are not a dozen or even 25 baptist associated fellowships that follow such practices, I couldn't possibly answer that because I haven't been to every fellowship that puts the name 'baptist' in the identification of their fellowship.

Here's an article from a 'christian' publication that discusses the issue and portrays the practice of two pastors, who are not baptist affiliated, and one makes the claim that 'if all the people who believed in the practice came forward, the numbers of those people might rival the number of southern baptists, but doesn't seem to consider it a 'southern baptist' practice either.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/s...ainstream-as-southern-baptists-part-3-106678/

I do apologize if I offended you and hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me any transgression towards you.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.