Visit site
✟7,980.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Hmm..here I thought I'd be hearing people talking about Apogee games, or even the great Amiga..pre-PS2? That's not old school. Heheh.

My favourite old-school game:
Sidescroller: Commander Keen 4
RTS: Lords of the Realm (it was RTS and Turn Based..excellence)
TBS: Civilization I and II.
FPS: hmm..Body Count! Yeah! Woo! lol..

I could go on and on.

Favourite old school platform:
386, baby.

Upvote 0

JMRE5150

Was Lost, Now Found!
Nov 21, 2003
Levittown, PA
Visit site
✟2,617.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Atari 2600

The Blister game of all Blister games...DECATHALON

You would get a blister right in the palm of your hand because you had to put the top of the joystick smack dab in the center of your palm and as fast as humanly possible move it back and forth to simulate the silly stick figure athlete to run as fast as he could. Many tried different techiques, but this technique seemed to reign supreme.

Also, DEFENDER and KABOOM dominated.

Oh, and ColecoVision rocked too. ZAXXON and Mr. Do (Dig Dug) rocked.

Upvote 0

nadroj1985

A bittersweet truth: sum, ergo cogito
Dec 10, 2003
Lexington, KY
✟15,543.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Tetris is the greatest game of all time, and it's as old school as you can get....man, I love that game. Anybody ever play Tetris for a long time and when you stop you still picture the blocks falling in your mind and you can't stop thinking about it? Yeah I do that all the time.

Upvote 0

-Z-

Student of the Word of God
Feb 9, 2004
California
✟2,653.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My fav 'old games' are
Game Boy: Super Mario Land
N64(does that count): NHL 99
Dreamcast: Sonic Chaos
Sega Genesis: Tiny Toons Acme Allstars
Super Nintendo: TMNT(ask if you dont know what that is) Any of em.
PC: Commander Keen/ Jones

Upvote 0

CHR15T05

Christian Fundamentalist
Nov 15, 2003
✟15,602.00
Faith
Christian
"Old School" followed by "Pre PS2" makes me laugh.. and then feel old!! lol

Pre PS2 was only yesterday to me lol. Although if pushed, I'd have to say "Golden Eye" is an all time classic......

But like others here I'd have to say:

Space Invaders
Pacman
Frogger
Asteroids
Missle Command

Of course there are pleanty others but these are the all time classics.

Just finished building the menu system on an old 386 PC so now the PC boots direct into a DOS menu to play 7 old archade classics. :)

Next step? Building an arcade style cabinet ;)

Upvote 0

William Nunn

Babies enjoy living too!
Jan 10, 2004
Kentucky
✟615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love breaking out my SNES to play Chrono Trigger! It's unbelievable to me that I still haven't played a more engrossing, addictive, and beautifully crafted RPG, even with all the leaps in technology.

Older than that, I have a few NES faves that I can't put down when I get a chance to play them:

Super Contra
Super Mario Bros. 3
Mega Man 2
Tetris
....and the coup de grace - Double Dragon!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bohemian

Aspiring Musician
Oct 13, 2003
Virginia
✟10,268.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ghost_on_fire said:
Does anyone here like any old school games. Like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario, etc.

Post your favorite old system (older than PS2)
...and....
Your favorite old school game (older than PS2)

God Bless!!!:D
How 'bout Akalabeth circa 1979!:D

Upvote 0

Aggie

Soldier of Knowledge
Jan 18, 2004
United States
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
My favorite old system has to be the SNES. at least a third of the games that are now considered classics were for that system. There was Super Mario World 1 & 2, Star Fox, EarthBound, Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Chrono Trigger, The Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, The Donkey Kong Country trilogy, The first two Earthworm Jim games, The original Mario Kart, and my two favorites: A Link to the Past and Super Metroid, in that order.

It also was host to E.V.O., which I consider to have the best portrayal of dinosaurs in any video game ever. But it's hard to appreciate if you're a creationist.

Other than that, my favorite old systems are the N64, and the PS1, although I don't actually have one--all the PS1 games I've played were played on my PS2. Metal Gear Solid is my favorite PS1 game, but I also like Castlevania: Syphony of the Night and Final Fantasy VII (Which I actually only have for the PC since I didn't have a PS yet when I got it.) The N64 had Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Rayman 2, and the best 3-D game ever: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Ironically, my favorite game for the original NES isn't any of the really famous ones like Super Mario Bros. 3 or either of the first two Zelda games. It's a game called StarTropics that for some reason never got to be very well-known. I'm kind of surprised that it didn't--there's no reason why it shouldn't have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CHR15T05

Christian Fundamentalist
Nov 15, 2003
✟15,602.00
Faith
Christian
OH oh oh!!!!

I remember some classics......

Paper boy (Arcade and Spectrum 48k)
Sabatour (Spec 48k)
Outrun (Sega Arcade)
Chase HQ (Arcade and some very poor ports)
Target Renegade (Spec 48k)

....this whole "post orginal, pre modern" section seems to have been missed by everyone else :(

Of course lets also not forget the classic LCD hand helds like Donky Kong.

And does anyone remember those 3D games from Tomy that looked like a pair of space binoculars????
They were cool!!!

Upvote 0

PolymerTim

Feb 8, 2004
Connecticut
✟7,677.00
Faith
Christian
JMRE5150 said:
Atari 2600
[...snip...]

The Blister game of all Blister games...DECATHALON

You would get a blister right in the palm of your hand because you had to put the top of the joystick smack dab in the center of your palm and as fast as humanly possible move it back and forth to simulate the silly stick figure athlete to run as fast as he could. Many tried different techiques, but this technique seemed to reign supreme.
[...snip...]
Hey, I remember that game. I used to use the two finger method (index and middle finger on each side pointed straight out and shaking as fast as I could). I was still pretty young then though, and not very good at it. I remember another fun Atari 2600 game was (I think) Tankwars. You had to move your tank around an obstacle course to get a clear shot of the opponent without them shooting you.

But I think I hit my gaming adolescence with the original NES. I still remember the first Nintendo Power I got was a special issue for the first Final Fintasy. Boy, I was hooked. I've been into similar games ever since. I did Final Fantasy II and III for SNES as well as Secret of Mana and Illusion of Gaia.

Another one of my favorites was Legend of the Red Dragon (one of the first multiplayer online games). It was a text-based role-playing game that was played on bulletin boards (BBS's, anybody remember those) long before I discovered the internet. Boy those were the days.

Upvote 0