Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Is this a problem for society? I read that in the uK statistics show that most actual crime is alcohol related. Yet there the idea that nights etc out are good for the economy, business and taxation as a result. Another time in the media some scientist said that in terms of actual harm, alcohol did more concrete harm that illegal drugs. Someone else argued if it was a new substance, it would be banned.

You might argue that people ought to be free to drink, but what is freedom in relation to statistics? Politicians manage statistics, and if youre born into a drinking culture youre likely enough to drink.

So freedom, from that angle, is a a political joke. Its like saying a weighted die is free to not land on a certain number. Ok theres freedom to and freedom from, ie political fredoms in terms of allowed and disallowed by statute law, but thats another issue.

Personally I think liberal democracy is disappointing. Not because of the principles people defend, but the way theyre put to use. Like.. many of these defenders of the faith are smaart, atriculate, logically minded peolpe whose talents might not be expressed in other cultures.

I cant help but think - and I dont want to be insensitive, its hard to talk and not to talk at the same time-that the likes of british drunk and the catchphrase "C'mon have a go if you think youre hard enough!!!", is the cause of some of the problems the West is facing right now in relation to its percieved character in the likes of Egypt. Old money trying to expand into new geopolitical regions, and bringing trouble with it.

Last edited:

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
True enough from a christian perspective. Thanks fo rthe answer!

I personally would like a smart bank account where I could opt out of tobacco and alcohol investments. I heard that tobacco is being pushed in the developing world, whilst "enlightended governments" are trying to reduce usage. I imagine that my account (ok its a building society) may have interest based on peddling stuff like that to the third world and developing nations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0