✟47,349.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1 1/2 cups White cornmeal mix, I use Martha White
1 1/2 cups milk( most times I use half milk, half buttermilk. Either/or or a mixture of both works well. I like the mixture.)
1 egg
1/4 cup oil (Can be vegetable oil in a bottle or Crisco shortening.)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix those ingredients until well blended.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees,
At same time preheat your seasoned cast iron skillet(I use Lodge brand) that is coated with Crisco shortening until it is smoking a little.

Hint: Never coat your skillet with an oil that is a liquid oil in a bottle, like vegetable or canola oil. It has some ingredient that makes the skillet sticky and will cause the cornbread to stick to your skillet. I use Crisco shortening in a can.

When oven is preheated and skillet has started to smoke a little, pour batter into the skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven it might vary a little. Use a wooden toothpick to push into the center and when it comes out clean and the top of the bread is starting to brown just slightly, the bread is done. You can turn your skillet over on top of a plate and the cornbread will fall right out if the skillet is seasoned good.

I've tried many recipes for cornbread over the years and finally asked my sister( she has all my mom's old recipes) the secret to making cornbread that doesn't fall apart when eating, she said make sure that you use equal amounts of dry ingredients to wet. It worked perfect.

Last edited:

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Nice recipe!!

At same time preheat your seasoned cast iron skillet(I use Lodge brand)

My wife got me a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven for Father's Day this year. I've discovered that cooking in cast iron is truely the secret to great cornbread. I don't think I'll ever going back to using a bread pan.

JerryL said:
that is coated with Crisco shortening until it is smoking a little.

I have also used butter or bacon fat, and I've never had a problem with the cornbread sticking, but I think you're right about the liquid oil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums