Seattle
✟10,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry. This is yet another thread on homosexuality. Sorry.

I'm posting this question for my own edification. I see thread after thread after thread on the topic, with lots of argument that never really goes anywhere. And I want to make sure that I really understand what I'm seeing in the way of ideas on the topic in general.

It seems to me that there are several viewpoints regarding homosexuality. As I understand it, they are, more or less (in no particular order):

A. Being gay is largely a product of nature, rather than nurture. People are born with some internal drive that makes them that way. It isn't a choice, and it isn't anything morally wrong, either to be that way or to act on those urges with consenting adults; therefore society should accept gay people and treat them with the same rights and considerations as any other human being in a civil society.

B. Being gay might or might not be a product of nature, or it might be a product of nuture, or some combo platter thereof. Having the drive or orientation isn't wrong, but acting on it is; therefore society should not reject gay people outright, but should work to limit homosexual behavior.

C. Being gay is likely a product of nurture, specifically a corrupt and fallen humanity. It is entirely a choice and entirely wrong. Therefore it should be completely rejected from society and gays should not be tolerated or accepted at all.

Note that these are personal summaries of the opinions I seem to be seeing expressed all over the forum here, every time a homosexual thread comes up. I readily acknowledge that these are very simplified summaries, and that the details of everyone's position varies quite a lot individually. But I post here because I want to know - is this a good understanding of the various positions people are bringing to the argument as a whole?

Basically I want to make sure that I understand where people are coming from. If I get responses here I may have a few more questions.

I have not included any citations with this post, as what I have put here is strictly my own interpretation of what I see here (and have seen elsewhere). As with any thread, if a discussion goes the way of full-on debate, please abide by forum rules and back any claims and assertions with cited evidence. Thanks.

B

brightmorningstar

To gwenmead,

Welcome!

One would need to remember that For example there isn’t any widely agreed definitive medical or scientific consencus to people being born ‘gay’ or a ‘gay’ gene http://www.newdirection.ca/a_biol.htm Personally I am not sure either way, I don’t see why ones sexual preference or orientation shouldn’t be the result of genetics, but if there is no actual proof that people are born ‘gay’ then one needs to equally apply being heterosexual or straight to the criteria and that doesn’t necessarily make much sense in some cases..

A. Being heterosexual is largely a product of nature, rather than nurture. People are born with some internal drive that makes them that way. It isn't a choice, and it isn't anything morally wrong, either to be that way or to act on those urges with consenting adults; therefore society should accept heterosexual people and treat them with the same rights and considerations as any other human being in a civil society.

B. Being heterosexual might or might not be a product of nature, or it might be a product of nuture, or some combo platter thereof. Having the drive or orientation isn't wrong, but acting on it is; therefore society should not reject heterosexual people outright, but should work to limit heterosexual behavior.

C. Being heterosexual is likely a product of nurture, specifically a corrupt and fallen humanity. It is entirely a choice and entirely wrong. Therefore it should be completely rejected from society and heterosexuals should not be tolerated or accepted at all.

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if you think it is entirely a choice and entirely wrong but recognize that you, yourself, also do things that are entirely a choice and entirely wrong and would like to treat others the way you would like to be treated? There are those of us who think it's all wrong but don't want to burn them at the stake, all liberal stereotyping aside.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2002
✟16,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
brightmorningstar said:
One would need to remember that For example there isn’t any widely agreed definitive medical or scientific consencus to people being born ‘gay’ or a ‘gay’ gene http://www.newdirection.ca/a_biol.htm Personally I am not sure either way, I don’t see why ones sexual preference or orientation shouldn’t be the result of genetics, but if there is no actual proof that people are born ‘gay’ then one needs to equally apply being heterosexual or straight to the criteria and that doesn’t necessarily make much sense in some cases..

Wrong. You won't find many reputable scientists claiming that it doesn't have a strong biological component.

What Causes a Person To Have a Particular Sexual Orientation?

There are numerous theories about the origins of a person's sexual orientation; most scientists today agree that sexual orientation is most likely the result of a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive and biological factors. In most people, sexual orientation is shaped at an early age. There is also considerable recent evidence to suggest that biology, including genetic or inborn hormonal factors, play a significant role in a person's sexuality. In summary, it is important to recognize that there are probably many reasons for a person's sexual orientation and the reasons may be different for different people.

Is Sexual Orientation a Choice?

No, human beings can not choose to be either gay or straight. Sexual orientation emerges for most people in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.

from the APA

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spherical Time

Reality has a well known Liberal bias.
Apr 20, 2005
New York City
Visit site
✟11,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
trunks2k said:
There used to be a sexuality section. But it got closed.
I was under the impression that the sexuality section was in the Christians only section.

I do remember when I joined though. The guy looking for prayers for a gay couple had just had his thread closed and had to go into the Philosophy and Morality section. Of course, there was a huge response, mostly of people telling him that his friends were going to hell, or some such.

Upvote 0

Q2004

Jul 13, 2005
The Great Rainy City
✟676.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Tangnefedd said:
Why is homosexuality such a BIG DEAL to some people? I couldn't care less what people get up to in bed providing it is consensual and not with someone under 16!

Or whatever the age of consent is in the respective Country/State/Province/City right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

outlaw

the frugal revolutionary
Aug 22, 2005
✟4,376.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Spherical Time said:
I was under the impression that the sexuality section was in the Christians only section.

I do remember when I joined though. The guy looking for prayers for a gay couple had just had his thread closed and had to go into the Philosophy and Morality section. Of course, there was a huge response, mostly of people telling him that his friends were going to hell, or some such.
Wow…I can feel the love…

Upvote 0