Could the Republican Party appeal to a centre right atheist?

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You can instil human rights without the baggage of religious beliefs.
With such a globally integrated world, most countries consist of all sorts of people of various beliefs and non beliefs.
The trick is to provide a society were they can cohabitation and life peacefully and respectfully together.
You do that via antidiscrimination laws rather than trying to force a single religion onto people.
If you are creating human rights by laws, then you are enforcing human rights through government intervention, not instilling human rights into the individual. It sounds like you have more faith than I do in the ability of humans to ignore their own self interest and adopt a more universal set of values.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you are creating human rights by laws, then you are enforcing human rights through government intervention, not instilling human rights into the individual. It sounds like you have more faith than I do in the ability of humans to ignore their own self interest and adopt a more universal set of values.
I don't think bigotry is out of self interest.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps a little... I was going to ask if he liked being referred to as an Australian, then I found out NZ is just a couple of non-continental islands and not part of the Australian continent, so no dice.
Sometimes we are referred to as being part of the Australasian region. I wouldn't be promoting recalling it Australasianzealand. LOL.
Our country isn't a continent, we are about twice the size of England land mass wise and are slightly bigger than the entire UK, we are the 6th largest island country in the world. But nowhere near the size of a continent. Australia is over 28x bigger land mass wise than NZ. USA is 25% bigger than Australia.

Some USA people think NZ is part of Australia (as if they think we are a state of Australia, like New South Wales or Queensland), I rationalise that by perceiving many USA folk as being inward focusing and not really knowing much about the world outside of USA, and obviously not paying attention when the Olympics are on and seeing that both Australia and New Zealand are represented separately.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps a little... I was going to ask if he liked being referred to as an Australian, then I found out NZ is just a couple of non-continental islands and not part of the Australian continent, so no dice.
I've heard there is a difference, but being American, I'm not really sure...

Upvote 0