Nov 28, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟17,252.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was just looking around the boards...and yes I normally post in OBOB...but felt the urge to answer your question because a similar one was asked there (not sure if you were the OP or not)....But I had found the answer and thought I'd share it here..hope you all don't mind.

Taken from the transcript of Bono's appearance on Larry King Live:

KING: ... trying to be. Are you -- do you like organized religion? Are you a Catholic? Do you go to mass?

BONO: Who in Ireland could have too much respect for organized religion? We've seen it tear our country in two. My mother was a Protestant. My father was a Catholic. And I learned that religion is often the enemy of God, actually.

And religion is this sort of -- religion is the artifice, you know, the building, after God has left it sometimes, like Elvis has left the building. You hold onto religion, you know, rules, regulations, traditions. I think what God is interested in is people's hearts, and that's hard enough.
------
Taken from a CBS news interview:

He was born into a particularly Irish controversy. "I come from both traditions, Protestant and Catholic," Bono says. "My mother was a Protestant, my father was a Catholic; no big deal anywhere else in the world but here.
------
Taken from the magazine Christianity Today:

He doesn't attend church regularly. He prays frequently. He likes to say grace before meals. He tries to have a "Sabbath hour" as often as he can. His favorite Bible is Eugene Peterson's paraphrase, The Message. He hangs out with Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones, but on a recent visit to Nashville he spent the morning palling around with Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant.

"I'm a believer," Bono usually says when asked about his faith. "I don't set myself up as any kind of 'Christian,' " he said as his gleaming silver and chrome tour bus motored east from Lincoln, Nebraska, to Iowa City. "I can't live up to that. It's something I aspire to, but I don't feel comfortable with that badge."

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
JewelInHisCrown said:
I was just looking around the boards...and yes I normally post in OBOB...but felt the urge to answer your question because a similar one was asked there (not sure if you were the OP or not)....But I had found the answer and thought I'd share it here..hope you all don't mind.

Taken from the transcript of Bono's appearance on Larry King Live:

KING: ... trying to be. Are you -- do you like organized religion? Are you a Catholic? Do you go to mass?

BONO: Who in Ireland could have too much respect for organized religion? We've seen it tear our country in two. My mother was a Protestant. My father was a Catholic. And I learned that religion is often the enemy of God, actually.

And religion is this sort of -- religion is the artifice, you know, the building, after God has left it sometimes, like Elvis has left the building. You hold onto religion, you know, rules, regulations, traditions. I think what God is interested in is people's hearts, and that's hard enough.
------
Taken from a CBS news interview:

He was born into a particularly Irish controversy. "I come from both traditions, Protestant and Catholic," Bono says. "My mother was a Protestant, my father was a Catholic; no big deal anywhere else in the world but here.
------
Taken from the magazine Christianity Today:

He doesn't attend church regularly. He prays frequently. He likes to say grace before meals. He tries to have a "Sabbath hour" as often as he can. His favorite Bible is Eugene Peterson's paraphrase, The Message. He hangs out with Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones, but on a recent visit to Nashville he spent the morning palling around with Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant.

"I'm a believer," Bono usually says when asked about his faith. "I don't set myself up as any kind of 'Christian,' " he said as his gleaming silver and chrome tour bus motored east from Lincoln, Nebraska, to Iowa City. "I can't live up to that. It's something I aspire to, but I don't feel comfortable with that badge."
Yep, sounds like an Anglican to me :thumbsup: :)

Thanks for providing this info, very interesting. :)

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
higgs2 said:
Yep, sounds like an Anglican to me :thumbsup: :)

Thanks for providing this info, very interesting. :)

Sounds to me like he doesn't consider himself a Christian. Correct me if I am wrong but you must be a Christian to be Anglican right?

Upvote 0

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
He most definetly is a believer. When you see him in concert reciting a Psalm or beeseching the audience to "turn this song into a prayer", or calling on the fact that two thirds of the world living on less than a dollar a day something that God find unnacceptable in our lack of action, you can't doubt his faith. What he shies away from is the label, because being a celeb you are already automatically under the microscope. There is one member of U2 who hasn't ever warmed up to Chrisitainity and perhaps that is also a reason why the band has not ever accepted the 'label'..

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Mary of Bethany said:
I think he very much considers himself a Christian - just a struggling one who doesn't always live up to the "label" as he puts it. But he has said many times that he's a believer in Christ. And his lyrics confirm it.

Mary

I'm not debating that he's not, I just seemed that's the way his quote read. I don't really enjoy the music and have never attended one of their concerts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
rainbowprism said:
He most definetly is a believer. When you see him in concert reciting a Psalm or beeseching the audience to "turn this song into a prayer", or calling on the fact that two thirds of the world living on less than a dollar a day something that God find unnacceptable in our lack of action, you can't doubt his faith. What he shies away from is the label, because being a celeb you are already automatically under the microscope. There is one member of U2 who hasn't ever warmed up to Chrisitainity and perhaps that is also a reason why the band has not ever accepted the 'label'..

Word is that Adam has also become a Christian in the last few years. :thumbsup:

Mary

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
20h3412.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AnglicanCelt

Jul 9, 2006
Maryville, MO
Visit site
✟7,866.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
JewelInHisCrown said:
That picture is just awesome!
I totally agree.

Two of my most favourite men of faith, and two of the hardest working individuals to put forth the message of Christ.

I want that for my wallpaper!

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I take his word that he is a believer.

But I don't like the theology behind "Religion is the Enemy of God". It is a misunderstanding of what the word religion means.

Secondly, he apparently does not understand what Christian means. It simply means follower, not perfect follower.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.