Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
True about bars. I often use the women's and the women often use the men's. Beer makes people have to pee... A lot. Lines get long. Restrooms get full. Sometimes you just have to go.
AND thats another reason men would rue the day they shared a bathroom with women.
They would stand in line for an infinity...really.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Everything is everywhere.
Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Probably here:

"Restrooms will be made available in each district building for students who do not want use the shared restrooms."
So, what if the transgendered person decides he doesn't want to use the shared restroom either, but wants to use the girls. It doesn't really seem to solve the problem.

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
IMHO - women and men together isnt a good idea.
Sans the attendant - it could become a hot spot for rape.
Yeah, that's why we've done the common sense thing and had two restrooms forever.

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Heck, they should just make gender neutral restrooms like in France. Our restroom system is archaic and costs more.

In France, you walk into a large restroom, where there is an attendant sitting. There are independent water closets with doors from the floor up. You can't peak in and the attendant would have you removed if you tried. Male or female goes into a water closet and does their thing. They come out, wash their hands fix their hair or whatever, and leave the attendant a little tip as they walk out. The attendant then checks the water closet to see if it needs to be clean or resupplied.

When I was in school, the boys room was always a mess with broken toilets and stalls. Also, it was where bullies harassed their victims in humiliating ways.

Jim
Aaahhh, I miss the water closet doors that actually hide what I'm doing. In America we design the doors purposely to reveal what people are doing on the inside. I've never figured out why people who landed on the moon can't figure out how to make doors.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There have been several cultures that used shared restrooms, do we have evidence that this leads to increases in rapes?

If it's actually about comfort level, then does it really matter? It's pretty clear when dealing with most modern 'gendered' issues, perception is reality. This goes for all involved, or potentially involved. The toll for using the women's bathroom if you're biologically a man is dealing with women's sadly often justified fear that biological men in women's restrooms set off some alarm bells because men rape women. None of this was ever a worry for women when biologically born men stuck to men's bathrooms, was it? So perhaps these are the birth pangs of society's increasing acceptance of transgender issues and people, in a similar way to how a lot of people (myself included) can't help but notice how different life is now re: homosexuality versus how it was just a few years ago, when DOMA was still in affect and nobody would dream that they could get into legal trouble for not issuing marriage licenses to homosexual couples. That quite simply wasn't a thing at the time. And today, transgender people are in that transition from being marginalized to gaining mainstream acceptance. That's bound to make people uncomfortable, particularly since the biologically-rooted male/female sex binary is...well, rooted in biology. So I imagine it would be hard to convince many people that a lack of increase in rapes in gender neutral bathrooms would mean that they're safe using one if they don't feel safe using one.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If it's actually about comfort level, then does it really matter? It's pretty clear when dealing with most modern 'gendered' issues, perception is reality. This goes for all involved, or potentially involved. The toll for using the women's bathroom if you're biologically a man is dealing with women's sadly often justified fear that biological men in women's restrooms set off some alarm bells because men rape women. None of this was ever a worry for women when biologically born men stuck to men's bathrooms, was it? So perhaps these are the birth pangs of society's increasing acceptance of transgender issues and people, in a similar way to how a lot of people (myself included) can't help but notice how different life is now re: homosexuality versus how it was just a few years ago, when DOMA was still in affect and nobody would dream that they could get into legal trouble for not issuing marriage licenses to homosexual couples. That quite simply wasn't a thing at the time. And today, transgender people are in that transition from being marginalized to gaining mainstream acceptance. That's bound to make people uncomfortable, particularly since the biologically-rooted male/female sex binary is...well, rooted in biology. So I imagine it would be hard to convince many people that a lack of increase in rapes in gender neutral bathrooms would mean that they're safe using one if they don't feel safe using one.

WA and PB both suggested that these bathrooms would be a hotspot for rape. I'm not talking about feelings, I am asking if there is any reason to believe those to be true.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My point is: What's the difference? Is feeling uncomfortable suddenly not admissible, when the entire reason that any of this is even an issue is that some people feel that they should be able to use the bathroom of whatever gender they feel themselves to be, even if it doesn't match what they biologically are? I don't understand why one group's feelings are to be validated and used as the reason to redesign buildings and bathrooms around and the other group's are not, no matter what basis either set of feelings have in reality.

That's my whole point: We're not dealing with an agreed-upon reality in the first place, so what does it matter at this point? If some people don't feel comfortable using gender-neutral bathrooms, that should be just as acceptable as other people feeling that they shouldn't have to use the bathroom corresponding to their biological sex. Society has both types of people, and so long as they both have options so that nobody has a reason to go on some kind of weird bathroom crusade (and it seems like they do, in the case of this Ohio school district), I don't see what the problem is.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Feelings-based legislation is a bad idea, I think. Let us pass laws and formulate our opinions on facts rather than emotions. If it can be shown that failure to segregate restrooms by gender results in more rapes, let's not do that. If rape is not a common problem in shared restrooms, I see no reason not to share them. From an efficiency standpoint, sharing has the advantage.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do like 3 bathrooms being available to make people with this mental illness comfortable though. We should try our best to make people suffering from mental illness feel safe and taken care of.

Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness.

IMHO - women and men together isnt a good idea.
Sans the attendant - it could become a hot spot for rape.

Several cities and states have these laws and some have for many years. There is no evidence of an increase of rape according to experts who have testified at meetings on these laws. This fear is unsupported by reality. See here.

Last edited:
Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/national/ohio-district-implementing-gender-neutral-bathroom/nnWLg/

Seriously?
I dont care what you identify with - there is still a difference.
C'mon - where's a girls modesty to go?
Girls have things to deal with they dont want to know about...even if they know - they dont need to 'know'.
Not to mention boys - urinals et al.
Should i just laugh - or???
Not surprising.
Also not surprising would be the excuse for this being, well they're behind stall doors so what's the harm?

We've gone down a very deep hole when officials payed by Christian tax payers and others of course believe there is something wrong with gender exclusive restroom facilities.

Reactions: TheoNewstoss
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"Brainwashing" doesn't work. Just ask David Reimer
I met a guy who is a cross dresser...? Or whatever he would be called - who lived in another state. He came to my store looking for bigger shoes and dresses. To avoid locals.

Said he 'became that way' because his mom used to dress him like a girl.
Maybe he lies...? I dont know.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've heard people say that too but there are so many that dress that way in secret with nothing like that in their past. But transgender is different. They literally feel trapped in the wrong body. The brain does not match the body.

I met a guy who is a cross dresser...? Or whatever he would be called - who lived in another state. He came to my store looking for bigger shoes and dresses. To avoid locals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Cross dresser isn't the same thing. I don't know this individual. I do, however, know plenty of trans people who weren't raised like that.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0