Obama support for gays (please read if you oppose homosexuality and marriage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FundiMentalist

Hey Fundi

Thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately I don't really have the time to watch it. My point is, while what the video says about marriage is how you perceive marriage, because God is real to you.

But people don't believe in God at all, so they don't view the bible as being creditable to stop them doing the things they want.

Marriage may well be a major part of Christianity, but marriage is in every human culture in society and every religion. Homosexuals just want to be able to have a ceremony to display their love and commitment to one another.

Of course you wouldn't stop a Muslim, or Jewish wedding for not being in accordance with the bible would you?

The only weddings I might "stop" are one's where I saw the one person deceptively taking advantage of the other.

You know, the whole "or forever hold your peace" spiel.

This would only be in the context of where I believed someone would not be making an informed consent in their vow-making.

Homosexual marriage is fine with me. As with the detailed verse-by-verse exegesis of the video shared. You may have presumed.

At a high level, I'd suspect God might be more concerned with the intentions of the hearts than the mechanics of the parts.

Upvote 0

Birthew

Apr 24, 2011
West London
✟15,286.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The only weddings I might "stop" are one's where I saw the one person deceptively taking advantage of the other.

You know, the whole "or forever hold your peace" spiel.

This would only be in the context of where I believed someone would not be making an informed consent in their vow-making.

Homosexual marriage is fine with me. As with the detailed verse-by-verse exegesis of the video shared. You may have presumed.

At a high level, I'd suspect God might be more concerned with the intentions of the hearts than the mechanics of the parts.

Hey Fundi

Sorry I didn't watch the video. I agree with you, if there is a god (i'm not really sure) then I think it is more about how a person feels about another. Perhaps the gay population want the right to marry to prove the Christian stereotype, (that all that consists of a same sex relationship is sex), incorrect by showing they too can have committed long term monogamous relationships.

If you don't mind me asking, are you voting and if yes would you tell me who for?

Upvote 0

Birthew

Apr 24, 2011
West London
✟15,286.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Christians are called to love their neighbor. When the Jesus speaks of love, he means doing what is objectively good (not feels good) for the group in question first, then the individual. Therefore, this obligates Christians to seek the common good of a country they are citizens of if they have the political means to do so. The state has a vested interest in marriage for the sake of the flourishing of children. A homosexual relationship, by its very nature, cannot produce children, nor can it provide the environment for their flourishing.

Homosexual relationships aren't immoral because the Bible says so. The Bible says they are because they're already immoral. Furthermore, any law is legislating morality, so the question becomes which moral rules should be legislated for the common good?

Hi Wilshire

I disagree that homosexual couples cannot provide the right environment for upbringing children. Yes they may not be able to have children without assistance, but I don't think this means they won't be able to love a child they bring up.

In terms of morality, I do no think it is immoral. It depends on what concept of morality you have. There is not one set of universal morality that the whole world follows. If its the difference between a child being stuck in an orphanage, or being brought up by two same sex couples, I think I know where my morality lies :).

If you don't mind, would you tell me who your are voting for and why?

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't, being Canadian, have any idea what Santorum's views on homosexuality are, but as a Christian I oppose it because it is an obvious perversion of a person's sexual function, because it is ultimately a choice people make, not a genetically mandated "orientation" over which they have no control, and, most of all, because God in His Word declares it an abomination.
I'm sorry but it is absolutely ridiculous how wrong this post is in every conceivable way. Sexual orientation is not a choice. That's scientifically proven. It's also found universally among nearly all animal species and is a required evolutionary mechanism for the survival of the species.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do you feel it will infringe your rights? A gay marriage obviously wouldn't be a religious one, it would just be a socially constructed one that these people wish to have to show that the way they are is not just about sex, its about love and commitment as well.
It could most certainly be a religious one. Just because this board is predominantly Fundamentalist and extremely anti-gay, Fundamentalism is a very minor but vocal subset of Christianity.

Here are 7000 gay affirming churches who will wed gay couples.

http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/find_a_church.htm

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
C A homosexual relationship, by its very nature, cannot produce children, nor can it provide the environment for their flourishing.
Proven false.

Kids with Lesbian Parents May Do Better Than Their Peers - TIME

Gay Parents Better Than Straight Parents? What Research Says

Gay parents "tend to be more motivated, more committed than heterosexual parents on average, because they chose to be parents," said Abbie Goldberg, a psychologist at Clark University in Massachusetts who researches gay and lesbian parenting. Gays and lesbians rarely become parents by accident, compared with an almost 50 percent accidental pregnancy rate among heterosexuals, Goldberg said. "That translates to greater commitment on average and more involvement."

Research has shown that the kids of same-sex couples — both adopted and biological kids — fare no worse than the kids of straight couples on mental health, social functioning, school performance and a variety of other life-success measures.

In a 2010 review of virtually every study on gay parenting, New York University sociologist Judith Stacey and University of Southern California sociologist Tim Biblarz found no differences between children raised in homes with two heterosexual parents and children raised with lesbian parents.

"There's no doubt whatsoever from the research that children with two lesbian parents are growing up to be just as well-adjusted and successful" as children with a male and a female parent," Stacey told LiveScience.

Homosexual relationships aren't immoral because the Bible says so. The Bible says they are because they're already immoral. Furthermore, any law is legislating morality, so the question becomes which moral rules should be legislated for the common good?
The Bible says nothing of the sort. Try actually learning the original meaning of Leviticus, Romans 1, and Corinthians.

Why do Fundamentalists never understand the Bible? It's baffling to me how in opposition to being informed and educated religious conservatives are.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
In socieities that treat homosexual marriages as normal and otherwise normalize that behavior, there are consequences that result.
No there aren't. Most of the nations with same-sex marriage have the highest quality of living and prosperity on Earth.

Traditional Christian marriage exists for a reason.
You mean this traditional marriage?

Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else - YouTube

biblemarriage.jpg

original.jpg

Traditional marriage is an oppressive joke of an institution.

Upvote 0

Birthew

Apr 24, 2011
West London
✟15,286.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow, thanks for sharing this, this is all from the Bible? If so, is all of it gods word?

The video and 1st pic are directly from the Bible (it cites the verses). I don't believe the Bible is inerrant, so I don't think God made all these claims. I think it stems from a barbaric, primitive society creating their own rules and using God as justification for them.

Upvote 0

Birthew

Apr 24, 2011
West London
✟15,286.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The video and 1st pic are directly from the Bible (it cites the verses). I don't believe the Bible is inerrant, so I don't think God made all these claims. I think it stems from a barbaric, primitive society creating their own rules and using God as justification for them.

Why do you think some Christian's are so against homosexuals marrying?
Compared to most of the definitions of marriage above from the bible, it would seem to be morally harmless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do you think some Christian's are so against homosexuals marrying?
Ignorance, prejudice, fear of the uncommon and misunderstood, and of course a completely misguided understanding of the original meaning of 5 vague verses in the Bible.

Compared to most of the definitions of marriage above from the bible, it would seem to be morally harmless.

It is. In fact, current studies show gays have less marital issues than straights. Lower divorce, abortion is nearly non-existant, just as capable of raising children as straights, possibly better, no 50% accidental pregnancy rates, more likely to adopt abused, unwanted children from orphanages, etc.

But for Conservatives, their hatred of gays runs so deep they'd rather destroy their lives than let them get married. Meanwhile, abortion, divorce, adultery, STDs, teen pregnancy, domestic abuse, etc. are at epidemic levels among heterosexuals, especially Christians which generally have the highest rates of all of the above.

Upvote 0

max1120

seeker
Oct 9, 2008
✟9,676.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I fully support gay rights and the rights of gays & lesbian couples to marry. I do not see how this would affect other people who choose not to do so. We live in a pluralistic democracy (allegedly) and we can respect the rights of others to live as they choose to live with out feeling threatened. No one is going to make you marry a gay guy...so let them do as they wish. Whether homosexuality is a choice or something genetic is not relevant to me, I respect the rights of others as along as they respect my rights to do as I wish. This is called mutual respect and it is something that is severely lacking in today's society.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here comes Jase to hijack the thread... You know this isn't the place for debate.

On a separate note, I did watch that video, and it was very interesting. It was the first time I've seen a sola scriptura defense for homosexuality. However, there are a few holes in his argument. I might discuss those in another thread, or here if the OP would like to discuss it.

Upvote 0

Birthew

Apr 24, 2011
West London
✟15,286.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here comes Jase to hijack the thread... You know this isn't the place for debate.

On a separate note, I did watch that video, and it was very interesting. It was the first time I've seen a sola scriptura defense for homosexuality. However, there are a few holes in his argument. I might discuss those in another thread, or here if the OP would like to discuss it.

Heya Gray

Please do :)

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Heya Gray

Please do :)

Okay, then. Of course, I won't be able to respond to anyone but you since this is not a debate thread. Someone else can give their opinions on the video, but I won't answer them.

I applaud the amount of effort Vines put into his argument. I agree with pretty much everything he says, but I don't come to the same conclusions. What he has managed to do is to prove that the issue of sexual orientation is not covered in the Bible. Such a debate was not on the minds of the authors of the Bible, who didn't seem to understand the concept of sexual orientation.

However, an argument from absence can only get you so far. It doesn't prove that homosexuality is a good thing.

He quotes God's words in Genesis 2:18: "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." First he says that it's not good for a man to be alone, and he applies this to homosexual men as well as heterosexual men. But he contradicts himself later when he says that Paul encouraged some to live a life of celibacy, and that some have such a gift. So by his own admission, there are exceptions to the rule.

Then he puts emphasis on the words "suitable for him," stating that Eve was the helper suitable for Adam personally, but that for other men another man might be a more suitable partner. This is taking the verse out of context, however, and his assertion is unsupported.

He says that gay people do not choose to be homosexual, and he argues that God made made him the way that he is. And if God loves him, then that proves that homosexuality is a good thing. But he forgets that a ton of other conditions can be God given from conception as well. Some are born with mental and/or physical abnormalities. These are not good things, but at the same time they do not reflect a moral deficiency on the part of the person born with the disease or their parents.

People can also be genetically predisposed towards negative behaviors, such as drinking to excess and smoking. There also may be a gene that makes men more likely to cheat. Their conditions do not justify their actions, but we expect them to overcome their conditions and display some self-control.

Also, while every instance of same-sex intercourse in the Bible that is shown in a negative light is gang rape or something of the sort, there is no exception clause in the Bible for two same-sex people who genuinely love one another and want to have a family. As Vines said, it may not have even occurred to people like Paul that such a thing was possible, but the writers of the Bible condemned the forms of same-sex relations that they were aware of.

Vines says that Paul proposes marriage as a remedy for passion, so that two can have relations in an honorable setting. However, the marriage seen in the Bible is defined as between a man and a woman. There is no exception in to this. In fact, the explanation for marriage goes back to Adam and Eve, when Eve was made from Adams flesh. The man and the woman come together to make one flesh again. This is what marriage is. Same-sex marriage doesn't fit.

It also doesn't fit with the relationship between the church and Christ, which is what marriage represents. The bride represents the church, and the husband represents Christ. The ways the two relate to one another, the eternal bond between two people, represents God's everlasting relationship with His people. But if you have two men or two women, how does that work? Applying the same principle to same-sex couples, we'd either have two gods together or two churches.

Vines succeeded in showing that the context of a loving relationship between two of the same sex is not specifically condemned in the Bible. However, what the Bible does give on the subject is a clear and consistent definition for marriage as being between a man and a woman, and there is no exception given for same-sex couples.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there,
I'd like to ask a question about homosexuality in america, and hopefully talk a little about it. I've recently seen Obama's statement about supporting homosexuality. I've also seen people like Santorum and Romney state their views on it.

My first question is (for people who agree with Santorum), although it is against your beliefs, why is accepting gay people's values and desires for marriage incompatible with your belief?

I know the bible says it is wrong (and i'm sure someone may quote something from it in response), but although its true and real to you, homosexual people experience life differently and see things and reality differently. Is it justifiable to force the teachings of the bible onto people who don't believe in it.

Who is forcing the bible on whom? I think you are forgetting we live in a secular society and this is part of the problem,as far as Christians are concerned. Slowly but surely satan is working his way into every aspect of our lives. 30 ago you wouldn't have heard Reagan endorsing gay marriage. Of course, it's my opinion Obama is just trying to gain more votes by his endorsement but that's another matter alltogether.....
In short,nobody is forcing the bible on anybody.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Vines succeeded in showing that the context of a loving relationship between two of the same sex is not specifically condemned in the Bible. However, what the Bible does give on the subject is a clear and consistent definition for marriage as being between a man and a woman, and there is no exception given for same-sex couples.

We don't actually see such a definition, as far as I know. If you know of a relevant passage, please say so. What we see are statements talking about a man leaving his family and joining his wife. I.e. we see lots of statements about marriage that assume it's between a man and a woman. This isn't quite the same thing as a clear definition.

To many people, the distinction doesn't matter. But to some of us it does. Because definitions can be extended to cover new situations. If Jesus had said "sorry, marriage is only for heterosexuals" I think such an extension becomes more difficult than if his statements simply assume current practice.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Legalizing homosexual marriage is just another step closer to Judgment Day. Removing prayer in schools in the early 60's, legalizing abortion in the 70's, the increasing immoral ways of life, while demanding tolerance, the infiltration of all these false religions along with the promotion of multiple filthy and disgusting shows on TV and in the movies are surely signs of the end-times. Where is the decency and Grace other than in Church and in our homes ... I've about had enough! God's is currently judging the world for its greed and we've lost 1/3 of what we had ... well, someone has it. Next we will see a war escalate in the Middle East with Israel and Iran any day now. So, it's all par for the course. Save your money, stock up, the Great Tribulation Period is on the horizon. Come Lord Jesus and straighten out this corrupt world! Amen
Oh, have a nice day -- while you can!

Upvote 0

Sir Wilshire

Jun 27, 2010
✟7,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Wilshire

I disagree that homosexual couples cannot provide the right environment for upbringing children. Yes they may not be able to have children without assistance, but I don't think this means they won't be able to love a child they bring up.

I didn't say they couldn't love the child, but they can't provide them with the optimal upbringing. I will answer the articles cited later.

In terms of morality, I do no think it is immoral. It depends on what concept of morality you have. There is not one set of universal morality that the whole world follows. If its the difference between a child being stuck in an orphanage, or being brought up by two same sex couples, I think I know where my morality lies :).

But if an argument can be made for the objective morality of it, then that is binding on everyone, whether or not everyone agrees. Also, do you cede the point that all legislation is legislating morality?

If you don't mind, would you tell me who your are voting for and why?

No idea. The president can't legislate the issue anyway.

Wow, thanks for sharing this, this is all from the Bible? If so, is all of it gods word?

All of that is answered here.

TektonTV - YouTube

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Except they are inaccurate in their interpretation of Scripture, and the message they present. Just because someone made a big graphic doesn't mean it's right.

The Bible says nothing of the sort. Try actually learning the original meaning of Leviticus, Romans 1, and Corinthians.

Why do Fundamentalists never understand the Bible? It's baffling to me how in opposition to being informed and educated religious conservatives are.

I know those original meanings. You have to do some silly mental gymnastics to bring you to the conclusion that homosexual behavior isn't sinful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.