So do not fear, for I am with you Isaiah 41:10
Jul 23, 2014
Hungary
✟19,945.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have religious OCD and it is spiking now. I had issues with the numbr of the beast and asked several people, including this forum and everyone said that we should not fear it if we see it. And it helped me.

But now I am really confused.

I have issues with entertainment. I feel like playing video games, wathing movies, listening to secular music is sinful. Not the violent ones, all. It is because of the OCD, and I avoided a lot of things because of it. But yesterday I played a little game (nothing bad it was a logical game) after months. And I saw the number of the beast 3 times that day. I saw it today too. Why?

Is it a sign that playing or entertainment is bad? Or am I overthinking?

Or do we see a lot of numbers but when I see this one I get anxious? I just dont know what to do. Should I avoid games and entertainment again or more? Sorry if it soudns strange but OCD is strange. If you are not familiar with religious OCD, for me it is mainly feeling that everything is sinful. And because of this, avoiding a lot of cleans things.

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have religious OCD and it is spiking now. I had issues with the numbr of the beast and asked several people, including this forum and everyone said that we should not fear it if we see it. And it helped me.

I have issues with entertainment. I feel like playing video games, wathing movies, listening to secular music is sinful. Not the violent ones, all. It is because of the OCD, and I avoided a lot of things because of it. But yesterday I played a little game (nothing bad it was a logical game) after months. And I saw the number of the beast 3 times that day. I saw it today too. Why?

Or do we see a lot of numbers but when I see this one I get anxious? I just dont know what to do. Should I avoid games and entertainment again or more? Sorry if it soudns strange but OCD is strange. If you are not familiar with religious OCD, for me it is mainly feeling that everything is sinful. And because of this, avoiding a lot of cleans things.

I play video games too and i watch all kinds of movies. They don't bother me or change me really in anyway. Secular music however does. It changes my whole thought process. So i choose to avoid listening to it. I would give you the same advice, if something puts you in a bad place then i would avoid it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a sin to play video games or listen to music, but if it puts you in a bad place mentally then i would avoid it.

About the whole mark of the beast thing. It's just a number. Numbers are abstract objects, by that i mean they don't actually exist. The number 7 for example has a value, but the number 7 can't actually do anything. John Lennox always says this..

"One plus one is two, but that never put two dollars in my pocket."

That's because numbers are just a concept in your mind. When you see these numbers just realize they aren't actually anything. They are what ever you make them be in your mind. So what does God say about our mind?

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

And this one is from you..

So i would say to rebuke those thoughts in the name of Jesus Christ. Talk to your pastor and get some people to pray with you. Don't be afraid to share this with people who are perfectly willing to help you. Hope this helps!

Lord Jesus i command a sound mind and rebuke any thoughts of satan who has no place in us. By your stripes we are healed Lord and all things are made new. I bind any thoughts of fear because of the defeated one. We love you Lord and we depend on you alone. I thank you God for giving us all authority over satan and his devils. Give us peace in out heart, minds and souls Lord. Until the end, Amen.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I'll be honest. If the rest of us are seeing numbers every day it doesn't even register. Most people don't notice and don't care. The thoughts you are having are very much part of your scrupulosity. I would suggest you go to the healthcare provider that diagnosed you and get a referral to a counseling psychologist that specializes in a form of behavior therapy called exposure and response prevention or cognitive therapy.

Reactions: Zoleee
Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As far as movies, music, and video games go I think this verse applies:

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I watch a lot of Andy Griffith reruns on Netflix because it is a good clean show with morals. I don't play video games or listen to secular music. The old adage "Garbage in garbage out" applies. Why would you want to fill your mind with things that are not holy?

As far as seeing numbers go, they mean nothing and I would try to ignore them.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

You're overthinking. We all do it at times, but I wouldn't worry over what you describe here. If you can't stop worrying, despite your best efforts, you might do well to speak to a professional.

Reactions: Zoleee
Upvote 0

Zoleee

Jul 23, 2014
Hungary
✟19,945.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I play video games too and i watch all kinds of movies. They don't bother me or change me really in anyway. Secular music however does. It changes my whole thought process. So i choose to avoid listening to it. I would give you the same advice, if something puts you in a bad place then i would avoid it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a sin to play video games or listen to music, but if it puts you in a bad place mentally then i would avoid it.

About the whole mark of the beast thing. It's just a number. Numbers are abstract objects, by that i mean they don't actually exist. The number 7 for example has a value, but the number 7 can't actually do anything. John Lennox always says this..

"One plus one is two, but that never put two dollars in my pocket."

That's because numbers are just a concept in your mind. When you see these numbers just realize they aren't actually anything. They are what ever you make them be in your mind. So what does God say about our mind?

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

And this one is from you..

So i would say to rebuke those thoughts in the name of Jesus Christ. Talk to your pastor and get some people to pray with you. Don't be afraid to share this with people who are perfectly willing to help you. Hope this helps!

Lord Jesus i command a sound mind and rebuke any thoughts of satan who has no place in us. By your stripes we are healed Lord and all things are made new. I bind any thoughts of fear because of the defeated one. We love you Lord and we depend on you alone. I thank you God for giving us all authority over satan and his devils. Give us peace in out heart, minds and souls Lord. Until the end, Amen.

It was a huge help thank you

Reactions: jacksknight
Upvote 0

Zoleee

Jul 23, 2014
Hungary
✟19,945.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As far as movies, music, and video games go I think this verse applies:

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I watch a lot of Andy Griffith reruns on Netflix because it is a good clean show with morals. I don't play video games or listen to secular music. The old adage "Garbage in garbage out" applies. Why would you want to fill your mind with things that are not holy?

As far as seeing numbers go, they mean nothing and I would try to ignore them.

Yeah I don't play or watch anything violent because I don't think those pass this test.

But when you are on a place when you feel like crossword puzzles, playing puzzle games and watching sports are all sinful too it is not the best.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I don't play or watch anything violent because I don't think those pass this test.

But when you are on a place when you feel like crossword puzzles, playing puzzle games and watching sports are all sinful too it is not the best.

I think when it comes to things like watching sports and doing crossword puzzles this verse applies:

1 Corinthians 6:12
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

forGod1

Jul 29, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
✟9,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hope you the best. Your OCD helps you stay focused on Christ, which makes it kind of a plus. The mark of the beast is probably something not to worry about. If you're playing puzzle games, it could only be a detriment.. like.. if you avoided the Bible to play. You know? Just read your Bible. I'm starting this myself. I have schizoaffective disorder, and it makes focusing hard. I know Christ is lenient with me. I just got to stay focused. You sound like you're too focused. lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
well, have you checked out any christian movies lately?
What about jigsaw puzzles (with no numbers). Some of them have peaceful scenes, or interesting landscapes.
For music have you tried instrumental worship music.

We don't need to be entertained all the time. Sometimes its just good to be still and let God speak to you. Find some constructive past times, like maybe theres a hobby in which you can make something. If reading the bible is difficult try to get an audio version and listen to it.

I'm sorry you have OCD sounds like a big problem for many people on this forum.

Upvote 0