Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You'd think I'd be joking...but no. Having been thoroughly pwnd in every aspect of the irreducible complexity of the eye, our heroes have moved onto the nose!

http://www.icr.org/article/3962/

Here's my favourite bit (emphasis mine)

lunatic fundie said:
Evolutionary thinking would have us believe that nasal conchae developed over time through natural selection. However, there is no clear progression of fossilized transitional conchae to back up this claim; only fully-formed noses are in the rock record. There is not even a theoretically realistic mechanism that nature could implement--assuming a non-intelligent, non-volitional entity like the universe could implement anything at all--to generate such complex features. When we examine the nose, we can join Job in exclaiming, "Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the Lord hath wrought this?"

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You'd think I'd be joking...but no. Having been thoroughly pwnd in every aspect of the irreducible complexity of the eye, our heroes have moved onto the nose!

http://www.icr.org/article/3962/

What good is half a nose..... HUH???????????????????????????? Tell me that evo-loopie!!!!!!

Creationism wins again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111 Yipppeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

Upvote 0

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
(Actually, come to think of it, why did faces end up the way they are? Proximity of main sensory organs to brain?)

What kind of idiot are you? Faces are like this because that's how God's sensory organs are arranged! In his own image, remember?

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
:doh:

I wonder how many fossil skulls preserve conchae at all. I remember someone tried to infer their presence/absence in dinosaurs from the size of the nasal cavity. They wouldn't have needed that if fossil skulls routinely had conchae.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What kind of idiot are you? Faces are like this because that's how God's sensory organs are arranged! In his own image, remember?

Does that mean God can't stretch his tongue up to touch the tip of his nose? Omnipotent God O RLY

Reactions: sbvera13
Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
(Actually, come to think of it, why did faces end up the way they are? Proximity of main sensory organs to brain?)
Or both the brain and the sensory organs are there because the mouth is there and that's the end that needs to find food.

Upvote 0

MasterOfKrikkit

Feb 1, 2008
USA
✟16,435.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Does that mean God can't stretch his tongue up to touch the tip of his nose? Omnipotent God O RLY
The shortening of human tongues is a result of The Fall. Duh.

And as someone who had to have the inside of his nose cauterized as a child, I can assure you that mine is not intelligently designed. Or maybe weak nasal blood vessels are a result of The Fall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bombila

Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
✟13,256.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I defy anyone to invoke Intelligent Design in the formation of my specific nose, which does not perform at all well as promised - or the case of the unfortunate Penelope, in my highschool class, who had the face of a pre-Raphaelite angel, centred by a perfect Classic nose the size of Jimmy Durante's. No one ever made fun of her, because one's sense of tragedy was invoked at every glance.

Upvote 0

MasterOfKrikkit

Feb 1, 2008
USA
✟16,435.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
But what about
Mr Thomas said:
A smooth bony constriction in the front has a smaller diameter than a human finger. This both protects the soft inner tissue from errant fingers and...

Don't forget that
He concluded that "airflow in the nose is not simply laminar or turbulent."
ZOMG! Take that, evilutionists! I hope nobody conducts an experiment to throw random crap into a wind tunnel and observe that the resulting flow is not simply laminar or turbulent... :doh:

But where would we be without some good quote mining?

Oh, and Blayz, when you quoted, you forgot to show that Mr Thomas's quote from Job isn't just fundie Bible blah -- it's genuine scientific writing! No, really, it is: it's cited!

Upvote 0

Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Apparently Mr Thomas aint so googly fu either. Here's the result of my 5 seconds of searching

http://www.nature.com/nature/links/041104/041104-7.html

Vertebrate evolution: In the nose

The origin of the internal nostril or 'choana' of land vertebrates, the opening from the nasal sac to the roof of the mouth, is the subject of heated debate. Some claim that it represents a displaced external nostril, others that this is implausible as it would imply a breaking and rejoining of the maxillary–premaxillary dental arcade. New fossil material of Kenichthys, a 395-million-year-old fish from China, finally resolves this dispute. Kenichthys has a unique nasal region intermediate between the choanate and non-choanate conditions, providing direct evidence that the choana is indeed a displaced external nostril. During a brief transitional stage illustrated by Kenichthys, the choana was in the tooth row, between maxilla and premaxilla. On a more speculative note, it's possible that a 'fossil' of this evolutionary event can be seen in tetrapod development to this day in the form of the common birth defect known as cleft lip and palate.

Upvote 0

ranmaonehalf

Nov 5, 2006
✟9,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
When do we get onto the impossibility of the evolution of the ear?
the ear has been done. the small bones in the mammalian ear are derived from the jaw. yanoconodon allini is a marvelous transition which shows these bones suspended between the lowerjaw and the skull.

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
yanoconodon allini is a marvelous transition which shows these bones suspended between the lowerjaw and the skull.
Oww, thanks for the tip. :bow: I read everyone's favourite PZ's post about Yanoconodon, and man that's a cool fossil. Here is the post, it comes with awesome pictures. I was especially amazed by the hearing bones of the platypus; I didn't know they looked like that. Way too cool.

Grr, the CF censor found a foul word in the URL. (I wonder how many languages CF censors because the only language I know of that the end of that URL is a foul word is Hungarian...) Anyway... the post is the first hit here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NOTW

Oct 8, 2004
✟1,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
the ear has been done. the small bones in the mammalian ear are derived from the jaw. yanoconodon allini is a marvelous transition which shows these bones suspended between the lowerjaw and the skull.
The irreducible complexity of our butts really astonishes me.
How did our rear-ends come to exist?

Reactions: TeddyKGB
Upvote 0