Non-Christians: How do you deal with evangelists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
After I fell away, I made a promise to myself never to argue with Christians (at least in public/real life) about Christianity...I'm still open to turning back to God. And it wouldn't give me any pleasure (as opposed to when I was convincing people ot join the faith) to be the person who coaxes someone to doubt their faith.

But I always find it awkward when someone evangelizes to me and I have to fight hard not to have my eyes roll to the back of my head, because I've heard it all before and said the same things many times over before. For some of the people who are really bad at it, I almost want to take them by the hand and say, "OK, now you want to say this point and such and such" But I don't want to be rude and say "I know i know leave me a lone" and would rather not make my own faith travels a discussion. What's the best way to turn someone down?
How? Tell them its between you and God. Also, if your interested, study and read the Bible for yourself - do your own homework and research to see if the Bible is true or not. I challenge you.

You say you have "heard it all before". Is it that you don't like what you hear? Christianity isn't a popularity contest or a pop culture ordeal but its a serious commitment to Christ. Again, if your not interested tell them that your not. interested.

Upvote 0

Ead

Jun 19, 2006
Montana
✟8,117.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Good advice there Salida. Everyone should study thier religion closely. Actually, study em all, then figure out which (If any) you think is telling the truth, or which appeals to you the most. I should study a bit more on these religions, just to enhance my knowledge of them.

When people try to convert me, i get the duel feeling of creepyness and eye-rolling. I went to a party once that was chock full of converters, and it was kinda weird. One tried to get me to go to youth group with him, but my friend and i refused. He seemed pretty weird. I dont know if converters know this, but sometimes they dont even need to say anything for us to know that they are trying to convert us. And that feeling we get is creepiness, which kinda turns us off to thier subject. Dunno how to avoid that, it just happens.

Maybe just a personal preferance?

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
Are we talking about evangelists who listen or ones that just say things thinking they are being meaningful when regurgitating the things they have heard from thier pastors?

real honest people who listen tend to be better learned about the bible (for the most part)
its the wooden-headed ones that bother me, i've stopped talking to them about it both in the real world and on the internet. I do debate them, but if i find they just repeat and ignore what i say so they can claim the bible says this or that when it doesn't even after what i tell them is what the authors believed even from the text. i just stop and ignore them for willful ignorance

Upvote 0

Skillganon

Veteran
Feb 28, 2006
London
✟17,372.00
Faith
Muslim
I never had to deal with anyone evangalizing here in england. Well I suppose if they do start, I will preach back to them. I can imagine though.

Evangalist: "You are going to hell if you don't accept Jesus."!!

Me: " I do accept Jesus, but you are going to hell of you don't accept the straight way, and accept Muhammad as the last messenger."

Evangilist: "He is a false prophet, Jesus healed lot of people."

Me: "So did my doctor"

Evangilist: "Well, Jesus died for you sin, and was ressurected on the third day"

Me: "We'll what was the point of dying if he is alive? I don't like con artist."

Evangilist: He get's out the cross and point's it to my face) "Here by with the Power of the cross, believe in the name of Jesus!"

Me: "I am burning! I am burning! Arrrggghh! (Puff of smoke)

Upvote 0

glo1

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.
Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Funnily enough, it has been the time I have spent in as Islamic forum, which has made me realise just how irritating, ineffective and counter-productive evangelising/dawah really is.

There is nothing more off-putting than having other people's beliefs and views rammed down your throat at every opportunity! :mad:

Not that I was ever a heavy-handed evangelist before, but it has certainly taught me a lesson:
That much as I love to share my faith with other people, I can only ever do so at their pace, their level and with their willingness.
Anything else will just send people running ...

I think part of the problem (and I am sure some of my Muslims brothers and sisters can relate to this) is, that when you convert to a faith yourself, you are so utterly convinced of it and cannot imagine that other people won't be impacted and convinced in just the same way! Therefore it seems easy to assume that if you just share 'your truth' you will bowl everybody else over, and they will also believe!

Of course, in reality it isn't like that.
The times I hear people say 'If only you read the Bible/Qu'ran, you will see the truth ...!' :doh:

Well, it just isn't like that.
God works in people in his own timing. There is nothing any of us can say or do, to 'convert' others to our faith - it needs intervention from God himself to change people hearts and perceptions!

With that in mind I find it quite easy to relax with the evangelising. I want people to know that I am a Christian, and I want them to be able to ask me about my faith if they choose so.
No more, no less.

peace :thumbsup:

glo

Upvote 0

glo1

Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never had to deal with anyone evangalizing here in england. Well I suppose if they do start, I will preach back to them. I can imagine though.

Evangalist: "You are going to hell if you don't accept Jesus."!!

Me: " I do accept Jesus, but you are going to hell of you don't accept the straight way, and accept Muhammad as the last messenger."

Evangilist: "He is a false prophet, Jesus healed lot of people."

Me: "So did my doctor"

Evangilist: "Well, Jesus died for you sin, and was ressurected on the third day"

Me: "We'll what was the point of dying if he is alive? I don't like con artist."

Evangilist: He get's out the cross and point's it to my face) "Here by with the Power of the cross, believe in the name of Jesus!"

Me: "I am burning! I am burning! Arrrggghh! (Puff of smoke)
Tut tut, Skillgannon ...
I can see you are ready for the fight, should the day ever come!
I am trying to visualise you disppearing in a puff of smoke ... that in itself would be fairly convincing in my view! ;)

I agree with you though - I have never encountered any evangelists in my neck of the woods either.
Jehovah's witnesses sometimes canvas the streets of our town, but they have never knocked on our door. :scratch:
Strange ... perhaps we are blacklisted?! :eek:

glo

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
I always give them the time to make their point, sometimes i even hope they will come up with an argument that has not already been shot down hundreds of times.

But I always find it awkward when someone evangelizes to me and I have to fight hard not to have my eyes roll to the back of my head, because I've heard it all before

Yes this is tricky, but it is important to show you respect their beliefs i think, even if you don't agree with them.
I often try and help these people by pointing out to them where what they are saying is wrong or fallacious, given that i am sure we can find a common ground in desire for honesty. But all too often (every time) it falls on deaf ears. People will believe what they want to believe. And if it makes them happy, i guess that's not a bad thing.

How do i get rid of them?
I think a simple "i'm sorry i don't see it that way" should be enough, but i wager it won't be in many cases.

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
I have never encountered any evangelists in my neck of the woods either.

Where i am from (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) there are regular evangelists in the city centre, they can be very interesting. We even have an "the end is nigh" sandwhich board wearing guy.
A couple of years ago we had, believe it or not, a creationist preacher preaching on the street! He was, naturally, an american. And just a couple of weeks ago we had some rappers for christ rapping away over their loudspeakers. I guess evangelism is alive and well in geordieland!

Upvote 0

glo1

Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where i am from (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) there are regular evangelists in the city centre, they can be very interesting. We even have an "the end is nigh" sandwhich board wearing guy.
A couple of years ago we had, believe it or not, a creationist preacher preaching on the street! He was, naturally, an american. And just a couple of weeks ago we had some rappers for christ rapping away over their loudspeakers. I guess evangelism is alive and well in geordieland!
Wow! I've never come across that kind of thing here in the UK.
And despite all their efforts you are still not converted???!! :D

I quite like the sound of the rappers for Christ though ...:cool:

People will believe what they want to believe.
That just about sums it up, I think - for all of us!

Peace :wave:

glo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's interesting to look at how Jesus approached it. He lived in a time when roaming outdoor philosophers were more common. If someone started teaching on a street corner, passersby actually came to listen or debate. Jesus made Himself available to people.

He also spoke in the synagogues, an acceptable venue. There are very few stories that showed him approaching people on cold calls. People followed Him out of curiosity and appreciation.

Upvote 0

glo1

Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting to look at how Jesus approached it. He lived in a time when roaming outdoor philosophers were more common. If someone started teaching on a street corner, passersby actually came to listen or debate. Jesus made Himself available to people.

He also spoke in the synagogues, an acceptable venue. There are very few stories that showed him approaching people on cold calls. People followed Him out of curiosity and appreciation.
Would that be an argument for street-corner-preaching?

glo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ha ha, I guess so!

I prefer non-confrontive approaches in all of life. Listening to a speaker distances a little.... people can come and go. Visitors can be curious and learn and decide for themselves without feeling on the spot. If they want to talk after, they will.

I've heard of some success with setting up a band, a speaker, and ice cream in apartment complexes. It gives visitors something to do, makes them feel pampered, and gives them the freedom to come and go, bring friends, ask questions. It seems more culturally acceptable than one person standing on a soap box, shouting "repent."

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I saw part of a show this weekend that said that the book sales on Nostradamus shot way up the day after 9-11. The booksellers concluded that people wanted deeper explanations for what they were experiencing.

Much of my Christian life, I have sought out sermons for similar reasons. I want to find solutions, to make sense of what's going on in my life, and to get a feel for what to expect in the future.

If preachers and teachers repeated the salvation message over and over, I would get bored and tune them out. But everyone needs to make sense of their troubles.

There's so much wisdom in Jesus' messages. He addressed the hypocrisy of religious leaders of the time, He challenged people to follow the heart of the law rather than legalism, He gave a simplified version of "Getting To Yes," He taught respect for authority without victimization.

He did teach how to be born again, but included many other intriguing topics.​

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.