Non-believers: What attracted you to a "Christian" Site?

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because having a discussion with you, very much feels like talking to a wall.

Lol, okay. Sorry about that, but I'm not willing to change my beliefs without good reason. If that makes me a wall, then so be it.

You're not willing to change your beliefs without good evidence. I consider good reasons to be evidence of truth, so maybe that's the difference between us.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is the goal to get to the truth or is the goal to interpret the evidence?

The goal is to get to the truth.
The point is that you can't get there without the evidence thereof.

On the outset, you don't know the truth, which is why one must have faith that it's even there in the first place,

I already need to stop you right there.
One doesn't require "faith" to know that there is a truth out there.

Things are how they are, even when we don't know how they are.
A god exists or he doesn't. This factual truth is "out there".

When asking a yes / no question, one doesn't require "faith" to know that the answer will be either "yes" or "no".

But to find out if the answer IS "yes" or "no"..... that takes evidence. And lots of it. In a verifiable nature. Without this, all you have is a "belief" or an "opinion".

Because truth is demonstrable.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lol, okay. Sorry about that, but I'm not willing to change my beliefs without good reason. If that makes me a wall, then so be it.

I don't buy for a second that you would be so willing to change your beliefs...

But that's not what I was talking about.
I'm more talking about your habbit of trying to tell people what they believe and how they think - eventhough those very same people explain to you how that is not what they believe and how they think.

I remember our last (frustrating) encounter where we went on and on and on... for endless pages, going back and forward on how you insisted on misrepresenting what I was saying. The topic slips my mind at the moment...

Anyhow.....

You're not willing to change your beliefs without good evidence.

Yes. Not only that, I'm not even willing to have any beliefs at all, without good evidence.

How horrible of me, right....

I consider good reasons to be evidence of truth, so maybe that's the difference between us.

Yes, that surely is the difference between us.

You see, I don't decide in advance what is true...

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't buy for a second that you would be so willing to change your beliefs...

But that's not what I was talking about.
I'm more talking about your habbit of trying to tell people what they believe and how they think - eventhough those very same people explain to you how that is not what they believe and how they think.

I remember our last (frustrating) encounter where we went on and on and on... for endless pages, going back and forward on how you insisted on misrepresenting what I was saying. The topic slips my mind at the moment...

Anyhow.....

I think it was about truth.

Yes, that surely is the difference between us.

You see, I don't decide in advance what is true...

I haven't decided what is true in advance because that would imply that I think I have control over truth. I've clearly said man(including myself) cannot control truth, but we have no choice but to accept the truth or reject it.(believe/disbelieve) Only after we've believed the truth can we then say we know the truth. We can know truth because evidence will support it. The truth was there before the evidence, but we aren't all knowing beings, which is why we require evidence to discover truth.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟250,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Do I seem like a person who doesn't value understanding others?
Honestly?

Yes, you seem like such a person. As I am not alone in such an evaluation, you might want to reconsider your approach.

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And what is your purpose here on a "Christian" site?

I used to be Christian when I first joined the site. I found I enjoyed talking with people in what is now called the Outreach section. Why would I leave just because I'm no longer a Christian? Someone needs to keep you people in check since you obviously don't do it among yourselves, anyway.

In any case this site is supposed to "witness" to non-Christians, so I dunno why you'd even ask this question. Kudos for putting quotes around Christian though.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Honestly?

Yes, you seem like such a person. As I am not alone in such an evaluation, you might want to reconsider your approach.

I can imagine that one would not like for another to tell them what they believe.

I try to first listen to what you believe and then try to explain my understanding of your beliefs so you can see that I've listened, then I can give reasons as to why I agree or disagree. Can you think of a better way to understand someone, while also holding to your own values?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also loving all the Christian responses of why they came to this site when the title clearly is asking "non-believers", not Christians.

Understanding the motivations behind any action is vitally important to understanding why people do what they do. I decided to comment on this thread because I wanted to see how people react to my reasoning for joining this site. It's important to me that my reasoning comes across as honest reasons for my actions. Gaining understanding is always a good thing :)

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Understanding the motivations behind any action is vitally important to understanding why people do what they do. I decided to comment on this thread because I wanted to see how people react to my reasoning for joining this site. It's important to me that my reasoning comes across as honest reasons for my actions. Gaining understanding is always a good thing :)

Yes but Christians have a hand in like, everything on this site. Is it so hard to believe I'd want something that is clearly meant for non-believers to stay for non-believers, as far as the topic goes? Not saying Christians can't comment but it's not Show and Tell for them right now. Expanding on that idea, when Christians also give their reason for joining this site in this thread, it's like shoving aside the kid that was about to present their Show and Tell item and then bragging about their own thing and having no one call him out on it. Meanwhile the kid that was shoved aside is forced to, yet again, nurse his resentment of the mistreatment.

Not saying they're doing this on purpose, of course. But you have to understand how it looks to those of us who don't identify as Christian. Those who don't believe in it. Unless you're a non-believer yourself, don't share why you joined. You can always make a new thread for that, can't you?

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes but Christians have a hand in like, everything on this site. Is it so hard to believe I'd want something that is clearly meant for non-believers to stay for non-believers, as far as the topic goes? Not saying Christians can't comment but it's not Show and Tell for them right now. Expanding on that idea, when Christians also give their reason for joining this site in this thread, it's like shoving aside the kid that was about to present their Show and Tell item and then bragging about their own thing and having no one call him out on it. Meanwhile the kid that was shoved aside is forced to, yet again, nurse his resentment of the mistreatment.

Not saying they're doing this on purpose, of course. But you have to understand how it looks to those of us who don't identify as Christian. Those who don't believe in it. Unless you're a non-believer yourself, don't share why you joined. You can always make a new thread for that, can't you?

That's fair. Sorry if I've made anyone feel like they can't present their reasoning for joining the site. I do find all your reasons interesting.

Reactions: AntoineL
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟250,264.00
Faith
Atheist
I try to first listen to what you believe and then try to explain my understanding of your beliefs so you can see that I've listened, then I can give reasons as to why I agree or disagree. Can you think of a better way to understand someone, while also holding to your own values?
Based on my previous conversations with you, I think that you either are, err, bending the truth here a little... or you are simply really really bad at listening and understanding.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but most of your posts / responses just scream "I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'll tell you why you are doing it wrong."

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Based on my previous conversations with you, I think that you either are, err, bending the truth here a little... or you are simply really really bad at listening and understanding.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but most of your posts / responses just scream "I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'll tell you why you are doing it wrong."

Don't be sorry about your honest opinion, as long as it's honest. That's the problem we have today, too many people are afraid to express their honest beliefs for fear of offending others. I don't believe you have that problem, which is good because it helps flesh out the truth, but the truth may not be what you want it to be.

The truth will offend those who are not open to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HerCrazierHalf

closet atheist
Aug 11, 2014
SoCal, US
✟29,273.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'm here to better understand the thought process that drives most of humanity to believe. I understand that as a non believer I'm am outlier, but just like most Christians I believe my view could be correct (though i consider it unknowable).
I like reading the reasoning used to justify various beliefs. I'm also puzzled by the reaction and almost offense taken by my lack of belief. And finally, though I disagree, I find it amazing how this belief is somehow comforting during challenging times in life.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

My motivation is as follows.

I was once a Christian and I find it interesting to see how current Christians, justify their beliefs.

I also find it more enlightening, to interact with folks who have different perspectives than you, as opposed to just communicating with others who agree with you.

Lastly, I thoroughly enjoy observing human behavior and the psychology that goes along with it and this site is a hotbed of human psychology.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
IRL, I have little to no exposure to religionists with which I can have have this level of exchanges with, and until relatively recently I was a complete apatheist. Yet my children are getting exposed to this stuff, and I made it my mission to edumakate myself further on the subjects of science and religion, for when they ask those questions about life, the universe, and everything.

I responded to an open invitation to come here, and joined after lurking for a bit. The conversations range from challenging to entertaining. It keeps me here. :)

Upvote 0