Non-believers: What attracted you to a "Christian" Site?

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
And what is your purpose here on a "Christian" site?
Whether their purpose is "trying to convert Christians to X" or "defending belief Y against misconception Z" or "boredom" I imagine the inclination should be for Christians to welcome with open arms.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

AntoineL

Sep 7, 2015
✟16,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whether their purpose is "trying to convert Christians to X" or "defending belief Y against misconception Z" or "boredom" I imagine the inclination should be for Christians to welcome with open arms.

Im curious as to why they are here and what brought them here from their own statements.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

What attracted me is curiosity on how the mind of believers work.
My purpose here is engaging in discussion and in doing so, trying to understand how the mind of the believer works. And off course, general entertainment and time-killing.

I do/did this on other sites as well. Not all of them christian.

I've also been active on various islamic forums.

And I stay until I get bored or whenever I feel like I'm "done" with the forum.
Seeing how this is a rather big forum, there are a lot of different people here. So there's more material to work with which makes me stick around longer then average on other forums.

Although lately, it seems to get to a point where I can pretty much predict what will be said by whom on any given topic. So it's getting predictable... Which makes the overall experience less fun and less interesting.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I was a Christian when I originally joined this site in July 2007. Here are some of my earliest posts (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Even though I am no longer a Christian I still post here because the conversation is hardly ever dull.

Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Although lately, it seems to get to a point where I can pretty much predict what will be said by whom on any given topic. So it's getting predictable... Which makes the overall experience less fun and less interesting.

Gottservant and Chrillman have you covered bro.

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Three reasons.

-I have to share a planet with believers. It's good to keep up on current trends in theism, as it directly affects me and people I care about.
-I believe the public scrutiny of poor reasoning, bad arguments and outright false information is important. This site is rife with it.
-I enjoy it.

That's all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When I think about it... I'm not exactly sure how I found this site. I remember I was really into looking at arguments for and against evolution (just for the lulz) when I came across a thread that lead back to this site. I hung around for a bit just being a lurker and reading people's replies until there came a point I couldn't resist not voicing my opinion. I had noticed the active atheist/non-believer/non-Christian community and really liked how well most people were received on both sides so I decided to join and create an account.

My purpose of being here? I don't think I really have one other than to offer my POV on a given topic. I've said before that I'm not here to change anybody's mind on anything, nor do I think I will. I am here to offer support for anyone who might agree with my thoughts, and a counter point to anyone who might not.

Reactions: AntoineL
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was told there would be cake. The cake is a lie. ;)

I came here because I was invited; I stayed to challenge stigmas that atheists have in American culture; and I stuck around a long time mainly because of the more interesting discussions, not all of which were with the Christians here.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

OK, ask me a question, and predict my answer.
Of course, you do not use examples we have discussed. It should be a new question.
Do you have a new question to talk about? (a good challenge, right?)

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm a Christian and I came here because I saw hope for the atheists. They are all very reasonable people and very intelligent when it comes to true things(at least those on these forums). Honestly, I believe they only lack in spiritual truths. When it comes to an eternal God and the idea of eternal truth, atheists are very close minded and unreasonable. They value evidence over truth and that's okay, but ultimately, truth wins over evidence because evidence can deceive, but truth cannot.

I respect the atheists and love them because they are a blessing from God. I believe God has a purpose for atheists and that purpose is to help His children think deeply and refine our reasoning for our deeply held beliefs. A belief is not worth holding if you have no reason for it.

God gives an infinite amount of reasons to believe in Him. For me, atheism is just one of the reasons to believe in God because there is no truth in atheism, so go the opposite way if you want to find truth. They even admit themselves that atheism is not a truth claim. I simply agree, it has no truth.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, I'm just stating what I believe is the truth.

If I was being deceived, I'd want someone to try and explain to me how I'm being deceived and tell me the truth, so I'd at least have a chance to overcome the deception with the truth.

Atheists can't take the hope I have for them away from me because the hope I have is given to me by God.

God bless!

Last edited:
Reactions: AntoineL
Upvote 0