Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The whole point of the epistles were to teach. The apostles ordained by the laying on of hands to bestow teaching authority upon those they trusted. So you have one verse which seems to say we don't need to be taught, and then you have the entire rest of the NT that creates a network of teachers.

you say "teaching authority " was given to them? no t he authority is when we speak the word of God. Not in our person or position.

and you seem to belittle the ONE verse that says we dont need MAN to teach us. I dont believe you understand it.

when believers listen to the body edifying itself under Christ headship ( if they follow this apostolic order as commanded to do in scripture) do they listen for the words of men or the word of God?. Paul said they did not receive what he said as the word of men but as it is in truth the word of God that effectually worketh in those that believe. Believers are to hear from the Spirits teaching though others and in them.

we read

"Since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you." (2 Corinthians 13:3)

here we see that Christ was speaking in him, and in those who heard. he was mighty in them also. So can we say that this is man speaking or teaching even though Paul spoke words to them and wrote them
?

also we read

"But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you." matthew 10:19,20

notice the words "it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit "

and

"13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe." (1 Thessalonians 2;13)

not as the word of men. Sop in that case they had no need that any man should teach them. yet some will say but ah Paul taught them. Was it Pauls word or the word of God that they heard. And this word works in them that believe. This is the truth that is manifest in them as Paul spoke. 2 Cor 4.

"

Reactions: Winepress777
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
John was not saying that the believers should not hear what he said. But John did not speak of himself, or his own words there. he was speaking the word of God to them and he knew that those who were of God would hear him, because it is the Spirit that bears witness in them.

we read interesting verses like this in scripture,

"Since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you." (2 Corinthians 13:3)

here we see that Christ was speaking in him, and in those who heard. he was mighty in them also. So can we say that this is man speaking or teaching even though paul spoke words to them and wrote them
?

also we read

"But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you." matthew 10:19,20

notice the words "it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit "

and

"13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe." (1 Thessalonians 2;13)

not as the word of men. Sop in that case they had no need that any man should teach them. yet some will say but ah Paul taught them. Was it Pauls word or the word of God that they heard. And this word works in them that believe. This is the truth that is manifest in them as Paul spoke. 2 Cor 4.

"3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, " Romans 12:3)

notice that Paul said through grace and not of himself we read similar words all over

"3 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:

4 That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak....6 Let your speech be always with grace,..."(Colossians 4:3-

also

"16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." Colossians 3:16)

Notice as the word of Christ dwells in them they can teach and admonish. So the free teacher is the Spirit who teaches us all things and Christ is the head of the body working effectually in every part to make increase and edify

"15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love." (Ephesians 4:15,16)

Christ works in us effectually. this is not mans teaching or mans natural understanding or mans authority over us.

"Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual." (1 Corinthians 2:12,13)

Acts 2:4
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them
utterance.

1 Corinthians 1:5
That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;

2 Corinthians 8:7
Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance

Ephesians 6:19
And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

Ephesians 4:21
If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
But discernment is always critical. Not everyone who claims to speak in the name of the Lord-or sincerely thinks they're doing so-truly are doing so. God has designated teachers for His Church.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
you say "teaching authority " was given to them? no t he authority is when we speak the word of God. Not in our person or position.
During the time of the apostles and early bishops and presbyters, there was no new testament. There was only the authority of the apostles and their successors, the ordained.

Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But discernment is always critical. Not everyone who claims to speak in the name of the Lord-or sincerely thinks they're doing so-truly are doing so. God has designated teachers for His Church.

yes we need discernment and to listen for the anointing in us this is to hear Gods voice and leading. But many are not taught to listen this way, instead they are taught that they need a man to teach them and so they trust in human wisdom and eloquence and scholars and men unbiblically called "masters of Divinity" and reverends and the main guy called their pastor. They follow the OT Jews who wanted a king over them like all the nations and in doing so they rejected God from ruling over them as scripture says.

One concern with what you said here "God has designated teachers for His Church." is the word "designated". The teacher is a "gift" for the body of Christ. Designated sounds like he is in a official title or position . He is only in such a gift when he walks in the spirit and the working of God in that gift in his heart.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
During the time of the apostles and early bishops and presbyters, there was no new testament. There was only the authority of the apostles and their successors, the ordained.
wrong, they had the OT scriptures which are able to make them wise unto salvation through faith which was in Christ Jesus. Peter also quoted scripture as did Paul, and referred to OT scripture in many things. But they also were there in person the apostles, and so the words they wrote would have also been spoken to the believers. The words they spoke were the authority, not their person or position . Paul said this about the persons of some,

"But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:" ( Galatians 2:6)

Why does Paul say this? he knew that the believers were putting men to high he rebuked the Corinthians for this saying I am of Paul or I am of Cephas etc. Such thinking was "carnal" and if men were in respect of persons ( or favoritism of them) then when Peter was in error they would have followed him in that error to. Paul commended others for searching the scriptures if what he said was true or not. Can you imagine some Popes and other men allowing baby believers or anyone to see if they are correct by scripture. Paul encouraged that.

"11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.12 Therefore many of them believed;" Acts 17;11

These were Jews and Paul still spoke according to the scriptures of truth to them. There are so many things we can use the OT scriptures to speak about. Prophecies truth instruction correction etc.

the authority did not lie in mens persons, or a positional authority but in the word of God and their living in the word as an example. They were to be an example in word and deed. Not to have dominion over others faith and be Lords exalted above them in some "chair" on an altar like the Pagan religions.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
wrong, they had the OT scriptures
I didn't say they had no OT. I said they had not NEW testament. They depended on the teaching authority of the apostles and those ordained to hear the gospel.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say they had no OT. I said they had not NEW testament. They depended on the teaching authority of the apostles and those ordained to hear the gospel.

As I said Paul had everyone check what he said according to the scriptures. All scripture is given by inspiritation of God ALL scripture. They had no authority outside of the word of God. And any man who puts his authority over the scriptures and will not allow even a baby christian to search what he says according to the scriptures is in a wrong authority.

Now you add another phrase here "teaching authority. No the authority is in the word of God not men or their words. Paul said that it was Christ speaking in him and they did not receive it as the word of men but the word of God. Paul persuaded reasoned and did not just bark out some orders in his own authority.

Jesus said this, consider it carefully

"But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;" Matthew 20:25,26

But it shall not be so among you. This is exactly how many are today under the guise of being servants. A servant has no authority in those days. Their authority was in the word of God and Gods word reflected in their lives as example.

"Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." 1 Timothy4:12

Timothy had the word of God that was the authority but they were judging him by his youth.

and we read

"For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes." Matthew 7:29

notice that the positional authorities or the official ones were the scribes and pharisees. But they did not have the authority he had and he was not recognized in their authority. They questioned His authority (Mark 11:28). But he spoke as one having authority. It was the word of God that has the authority.

heres a simple example. Imagine a Pope in a big chair with men all around him and a huge cathedral structure about him and long robes and gold and in front of him is a baby christian with a bible, and the Pope relies on what he says and is in error and so the baby Christian uses scripture to correct him. That baby Christian has more authority than the Pope. does that make sense?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
heres a simple example. Imagine a Pope in a big chair with men all around him and a huge cathedral structure about him and long robes and gold and in front of him is a baby christian with a bible, and the Pope relies on what he says and is in error and so the baby Christian uses scripture to correct him. That baby Christian has more authority than the Pope. does that make sense?

this is the same for all those called "reverends " over others or the pastor etc or "masters of Divinity" if they rely on their positional authority and not Gods word they are not in the right place

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,708.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,708.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seriously, we need the Holy Spirit to apply God's word to us and reveal God's will and character.

But we need human beings to teach us too - the history and culture of Scripture, for example; Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic. People have had to study to understand these. I don't know of anyone who would claim to have had lessons in Greek grammar directly from God.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can check the prophecies that were fulfilled. That's all. The basic atonement has to be taught.

all the gospel itself is according to the scriptures 1 Cor 15 and timothy from a child knew the holy scriptures ( OT scriptures) that are able to make him wise unto salvation through faith.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seriously, we need the Holy Spirit to apply God's word to us and reveal God's will and character.

But we need human beings to teach us too - the history and culture of Scripture, for example; Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic. People have had to study to understand these. I don't know of anyone who would claim to have had lessons in Greek grammar directly from God.

read 1 Cor 2 again, yes I agree men need to know basic language etc but no man knows the things of God but by the Spirit and the anointing still does teach us all things, we have no need that any man teaches us. This all things in relation to our spiritual life and walk. He has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness in Christ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can check the prophecies that were fulfilled. That's all. The basic atonement has to be taught.
we see so many examples of death of a sacrifice for sin and the risen Lord in type also, Noahs ark is a type 1 Peter 3:20,21 etc etc the sign of Jonah, Isaiah speaks of by his stripes are we healed etc all we like sheep have gone astray and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. Abraham the father giving his promised son. The serpent on the pole etc

I could go on for hours in this literally hours maybe days there is so much in the OT

Upvote 0

Winepress777

Jun 8, 2015
✟8,905.00
Faith
Christian
Exactly as it says :) No man whom I've ever heard speak had anything close to the revelation of Truth as what I receive clearly and always from the Holy Spirit of Christ dwelling in me.

From what I see in the "Christian religions" in my life, and especially on a forum, this verse means more now than ever;

(Rom 3:4) ...yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,708.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
read 1 Cor 2 again, yes I agree men need to know basic language etc but no man knows the things of God but by the Spirit

I know, that's what I said.

we have no need that any man teaches
us

Except that that's how Jesus set it up from the beginning and how he wants it.
Jesus had a teaching ministry. He taught the crowds and his 12 disciples. He taught his disciples things that he didn't teach the crowds, and explained his parables to them, and then commissioned them to go and teach others. At no time did Jesus say, "carry on being fishermen, or with your other work and the Holy Spirit will gradually reveal things to your minds and to other people." He stayed on earth for 40 days after his resurrection, teaching his disciples. And one of the gifts that his Holy Spirit gives, is that of teaching.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
all the gospel itself is according to the scriptures 1 Cor 15 and timothy from a child knew the holy scriptures ( OT scriptures) that are able to make him wise unto salvation through faith.
Where is the substitutionary atonement in the OT?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
death of a sacrifice for sin
There is nothing in the OT that the Messiah will die for sin. We have to be taught this, and we have to be taught that the sacrifices in the OT looked forward to Christ's sacrifice.

Upvote 0