NFL Should Give Colin Kapernick Another Chance

Does Colin Kapernick Desrve a Second Chance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think he's used up his second chances. Sports is a place where people go to have fun and should be allowed a second chance. Track records add up over the years and his is continually turning what should be a non-political public event into a political debate. Basically whatever he is doing has continually turned into a political debate, not a place to get away from all the posturing.
America is still a free country. The NFL makes that call.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think he's used up his second chances. Sports is a place where people go to have fun and should be allowed a second chance. Track records add up over the years and his is continually turning what should be a non-political public event into a political debate. Basically whatever he is doing has continually turned into a political debate, not a place to get away from all the posturing.
I’ll bore you with my National Anthem rant. I played organized football through two years of college. I have no specific memory of the National Anthem being played before any game, although it must have been.
After Desert Storm, the visual media started making the Anthem a big “patriotic show”. Even then, the period of the Anthem being played was a chance to get a cold drink, take pictures, make phone calls, etc. Players chatted, focused on getting ready to play, etc.
After the Kaepernick deal, patriotic pregame shows became MORE politicized. This backup QB did not create the politics of sporting events.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Except that Kap needs to understand: he does HIS activism on HIS time and HIS dime not his employers. Keep them separate.......

The NFL could easily solve this (and yes this is there fault): Have the teams only enter the field *after* the national anthem. I've watched hundreds of college FB games (and attended about 100), the teams almost never (and I don't recall any cases) enter the field until *after* the national anthem. I doubt that the coaches want to wait around on the field for a few more minutes after leaving the locker room. The anthem is also only rarely broadcast on TV outside special events like the Super Bowl.

I find it rather shocking that the NFL didn't just swap the order of the pre-game festivities to: Anthem, entrance, coin flip, start of game, like most college games to undercut Kaepernick et al. when this started. It was the easy way for them to tamp this down without making a big spectacle of it.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except that Kap needs to understand: he does HIS activism on HIS time and HIS dime not his employers. Keep them separate.......
2mqjcq.jpg

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not something most black people would equate to slavery .
I’ve known lots of Black athletes that have made these comparisons. It’s just not wise to speak openly.

• Haha
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
royal priest said:

I’ve known lots of Black athletes that have made these comparisons. It’s just not wise to speak openly.

So they choose to serve the interests of the slave master, and only speak against it in non-open ways?

But then Colin spoke about it in an open way, condemning the slave masters and their stripping dignity from people....but then decides to go put himself under their power once more.

Why could he not just point out the actual problems with NFL owners, instead of making a poor comparison?

Or if he really thought it is an accurate comparison, why not maintain his stand?

If the NFL is slavery to be condemned then the one taking a stand against it should not go back.

I am fine with him getting another chance if he is good enough to make a team. But he needs to either back off his prior comparison, or stand by his convictions.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
royal priest said:

So they choose to serve the interests of the slave master, and only speak against it in non-open ways?

But then Colin spoke about it in an open way, condemning the slave masters and their stripping dignity from people....but then decides to go put himself under their power once more.

Why could he not just point out the actual problems with NFL owners, instead of making a poor comparison?

Or if he really thought it is an accurate comparison, why not maintain his stand?

If the NFL is slavery to be condemned then the one taking a stand against it should not go back.

I am fine with him getting another chance if he is good enough to make a team. But he needs to either back off his prior comparison, or stand by his convictions.
He doesn’t “need” to do do anything. He is not obligated to change his beliefs in order to play. America remains free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He doesn’t “need” to do do anything. He is obligated to change his beliefs in order to play. America remains free.

So has he in fact changed his beliefs that it is comparable to slavery? Has he stated this, other than in the obvious asking to play?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I’ll bore you with my National Anthem rant. I played organized football through two years of college. I have no specific memory of the National Anthem being played before any game, although it must have been.
After Desert Storm, the visual media started making the Anthem a big “patriotic show”. Even then, the period of the Anthem being played was a chance to get a cold drink, take pictures, make phone calls, etc. Players chatted, focused on getting ready to play, etc.
After the Kaepernick deal, patriotic pregame shows became MORE politicized. This backup QB did not create the politics of sporting events.

Your whole post here is basically an argument he did.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So has he in fact changed his beliefs that it is comparable to slavery? Has he stated this, other than in the obvious asking to play?
Don’t know that he has. Doubt it.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I edited my post. I left out “not”.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
He doesn’t “need” to do do anything. He is not obligated to change his beliefs in order to play. America remains free.

Agreed. He has every right to pursue employment even if it makes him a race baiting hypocrite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I think he should move into the 6 million dollar mansion that BLM bought and become a "content creator" since he and Cullors both figured out how to monetize black struggle for personal gain. If they can get Smollett, it's a premise too strong to fail.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They spoke it openly around you.
Yup. I attended a HBCU for a couple of years. Actually learned something about Black History instead of the mush I had in high school. I remember attending segregated schools. One was named after a Confederate general.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yup. I attended a HBCU for a couple of years. Actually learned something about Black History instead of the mush I had in high school. I remember attending segregated schools. One was named after a Confederate general.

Shocking. Black history? Is that different from history somehow?

Also, they saw sports at HBCUs as comparable to slavery?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shocking. Black history? Is that different from history somehow?

Also, they saw sports at HBCUs as comparable to slavery?
Black History got about 1/2 page in the typical history text.

Sports in general. Try keeping up.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
tall73 said:

Don’t know that he has. Doubt it.

Ok, well, I unfortunately see his wishing to again play for the NFL as a renunciation of his previous stand.

I wish he would either state that his comparison has some points to make, but is not completely parallel, or that he would maintain his stand and not express his wish to play.

But he can, as you mentioned, not elaborate on his previous statement, but still wish to play in the NFL. And if he is good enough they should want him to play as it gives them a competitive advantage over the next person up who is slightly less capable.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.