✟24,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
indeep said:
Prison is a really nasty place, and anything to bring some kind of sense of light and difference into it is always welcome.

I am correctional officer, I always have to laugh when people assume that prison is a nasty place.^_^
1) these are people who are not guilty of singing to loud at church
2) they receive Dietician approved meals
3) free medication
3) Free dental
4) Free glasses.
Just think you get all this for breaking the law...brought to you by law-abiding tax-payers!!!
Some states even use tax payer money for sex change operations..
When was the last time you got free healthcare,medication,dental,glasses?

Upvote 0

MadeInOz

Contributor
Jun 7, 2004
Brisbane
✟20,513.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
AU-Labor
Packy said:
I am correctional officer, I always have to laugh when people assume that prison is a nasty place.^_^
1) these are people who are not guilty of singing to loud at church
2) they receive Dietician approved meals
3) free medication
3) Free dental
4) Free glasses.
Just think you get all this for breaking the law...brought to you by law-abiding tax-payers!!!
Some states even use tax payer money for sex change operations..
When was the last time you got free healthcare,medication,dental,glasses?

As an ex-prisoner I always have to laugh when OTHER people assume that all of those are true in practice. ;)

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...but after reading the story and seeing what it did for the self esteem of those women, including better behavior in prison and setting goals for after those women leave prison -- maybe there IS something to be said for contests like these.

I've been thinking for some time that our system of punishment without offering incentives for changed behavior isn't getting us what we want. Granted, there are personality-disordered prisoners (sociopaths, narcissists, etc.) who are simply not amenable to change -- but for many of the others who are amenable to change, why NOT address them by their name (instead of a number)? Why NOT have them work to set positive goals for themselves -- and reward them when they achieve those goals? Why NOT give them the tools they need to succeed after they've left prison, so they don't end up back in prison because they don't have the social or life skills they need to succeed outside of prison?

Upvote 0