Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Finally, the novel’s hidden legacy is revealed.

LONDON — Twenty years ago, a best-selling work of fiction seemed — to some readers at least — to undermine the foundations of the 2,000-year-old religion.

The book was The Da Vinci Code (DVC).

And yet, two decades since DVC’s publication, the then reaction to its appearance in 2003 seems even more surreal, more bizarre, than any fantastic plot line.

Missing Links

The novel recalls Leonardo da Vinci, whose art is linked by the plot to what can only be described as the theological equivalent of Darwin’s “missing link.” This tale tells of cryptic codes concealed in Da Vinci’s paintings, supposedly missed by art historians for centuries, and which point to the greatest cover-up of all time: one that exposes finally the definitive “truth” about the Catholic faith.

Even if I had lacked formation in that faith, I was immune to the “revelations” of DVC. Some twenty-odd years previously, there had been another, not dissimilar, craze. Published in 1982, The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail (HBHG) had been released to similar claims presenting “earth-shattering conclusions.”

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Gnosticism 2000

Where a type of heresy is regurgitated years later and folks think it's new stuff.

My daughter actually ran into something about this and had questions.
SIGH :sigh:

Upvote 0