1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times: Catholic priest assists at 'gay wedding' on Friday...

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Michie

Michie Manipulation Resistance Team Supporter CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Catholic
    On the wedding announcements page: priest assists at same sex wedding?

A wedding announcement in this Sunday’s New York Times:
    I mentioned this to a couple priests today. They suggested that Fr. DeVito might have been just a guest at the wedding or, perhaps, someone who had been laicized but still calls himself a priest.
    Maybe there’s a reasonable explanation for this. If so, I’d like to hear it.

New York Times: Catholic priest assists at 'gay wedding' on Friday...

2. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Faith:
    Catholic
    I think it is very difficult for family members to deal with situations where the Church is in conflict with what they believe to be support of a family member.

I am sure we all know parents and siblings who have rejected family members because of their lifestyles--and how painful and damaging that can be to the entire extended family.

I am sure Fr. DeVito will get hauled over the carpet about this, but I think his heart was in the right place.

3. MoreCoffee

MoreCoffee O God,come to my aid.O Lord,make haste to help me. Supporter CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Catholic
    "Maybe there’s a reasonable explanation for this. If so, I’d like to hear it."

How about this: Michael DeVito is a cousin of Mr. Termine. He was invited.

4. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

Faith:
    Catholic
    if he does not care if his cousin goes to hell then his heart is not in the right place

5. StThomasMore

StThomasMore Christian Democrat

Faith:
    Catholic

It doesn't matter if they are cousins. these are not the type of activities a priest should be engaging in though if he truly believes what the Church teaches.

So he obviously doesn't believe what the Church teaches. Or like many priests who do these types of things, is in a willful type of denial

6. MoreCoffee

MoreCoffee O God,come to my aid.O Lord,make haste to help me. Supporter CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Catholic
    If Catholics truly believed what the church teaches then there'd be no divorces followed by remarriage among Catholics, no use of condoms or the pill for birth control purposes. In fact, there'd be very little sinning among Catholics. But we both know that is not really the case. It does raise the question "How should the church teach and what should it be teaching if what it teaches now is failing to convince?"

7. Rhamiel

Faith:
    Catholic
    well if Catholics truly believed what the Church teaches then there would be no murder rape or theft by Catholics either
    no lies and no gossip
    no hate and no envy

we are all sinners in need of the mercy of Christ
    what should the Catholic Church teach? the truth, sin kills
    how should it teach so that Catholics will be convinced?
    less mincing of words
    homosexual acts are an abomination
    these sins cry out to heaven

8. MoreCoffee

Faith:
    Catholic
    Why does it always come down to homosexual acts? I mean, why are such acts on one's mind so often that they are mentioned in almost every conversation about sin on OBOB? It's strange I think.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  9. Davidnic

Davidnic Have Fun Supporter

Faith:
    Catholic
    Depends. If he was actually assisting in a service of another denomination that requires the approval of the Bishop or Order Superior. So right there...if he was actively assisting in the service there are two issues. One it is a gay weeding and he can't assist at one of those. Two, I would be shocked if the Bishop gave him permission to assist...so potentially he did not seek it.

10. ranpleasant

ranpleasant Catholic

Faith:
    Catholic
    The Catholic Church in the United States need to return to teaching the truth: That people can and will go to Hell when for their sins against God unless they repent through confession. That Catholic priest should either be part of that teaching process, as is his duty, or he would find another job.

Ran

11. ranpleasant

ranpleasant Catholic

Faith:
    Catholic
    You might should read this thread again, the topic is homosexual marriage.:p

12. MoreCoffee

Faith:
    Catholic
    <chuckles> Okay, you got me there :)

13. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

Faith:
    Catholic
    I think it's wise to give the benefit of the doubt that his heart was in the right place. Not much we can do about it anyways.

14. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

Faith:
    Catholic
    You are a part of OBOB (in that you participate)-- and I've seen you active in those threads. So...

15. MoreCoffee

Faith:
    Catholic
    Yes indeedy! I discuss these matters when they are the topic. What I was thinking however, is that when people list sins they seem to almost always throw in homosexuality or homosexual acts, as if those were the most common and important issues in the world when I suspect we all know that they are not.

16. Rhamiel

Faith:
    Catholic
    i listed a bunch of sins
    gossip, hate, envy, murder, rape, theft.
    all of these are sins same as homosexual acts and contraception and abortion

17. princess_ballet

princess_ballet Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Catholic
    Hmmmmm....I don't know....maybe because this is a thread about gay marriage. And usually, when people "marry" they have sex. Does that surprise you in some way?

18. MoreCoffee

Faith:
    Catholic
    Do keep up, I replied to the same question in an earlier post :p:p:p

19. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

Faith:
    Catholic
    This is the way it is around here. I choose to pick my arguments. And my nose, for some tmi that you didn't ask for.

20. Chrystal-J

Chrystal-J the one who stands firm to the end will be saved

Faith:
    Catholic
    I agree. The truth is what it is. If the person didn't understand what was a sin and what was not, then they would be acting out of ignorance. But a priest of all people should know better.
    People confuse not accepting something that is sinful with attacking people for their sins. You can reject the sin and still love the sinner. Since all people sin, you almost can't get around that. But, putting your stamp of approval on sin is something else.