New Staff/Member discussion thread and Poll regarding Political threads...

How do we deal with Political threads?

• Status Quo - Keep St. Justin's and St. Basil's forum exactly as they are, no changes

• Allow and move Political threads to St. Justin's, and retain St. Justins as an open debate forum.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given the two options in the poll, I am inclined to vote to keep things as they are. IMHO, if someone really wants to have a discussion specifically about a political topic that is not related to the Orthodox faith, there is a Politics forum at CF for that kind of thing. If a discussion comes up about a political issue and how it pertains to the teachings of the Orthodox church, or something very much along those lines, I don't see any harm in that (provided it remains civil). TAW is not a huge group, and politics doesn't happen here all that much.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The particular thread that made all this seem urgent was concerning to several members. If we could have prevented non-Orthodox from joining the conversation, it might not have been so bad. But generally that is not the sentiment here at all (barring others) and I don't think we want it to be.

If it were only that, I'd say it might not be so important. But given first of all some of the political issues surrounding Russia and the Ukraine, and how those countries are both intertwined with Orthodoxy, it seems the stage is set for matters to worsen. Also, I'm not sure why there seems to be a sudden surge in political entanglements in general - I know my FB newsfeed (and my account there is purposely limited to Orthodox posters) has gone from being about 90% Orthodoxy to now being more than 50% politics and perhaps only 20% Orthodoxy over the course of less than a year.

I just see a growing focus on politics in several areas, so I fear it may worsen. Given what someone else said - that our shared faith is what's important and we may have legitimate political divisions - I would really like to see it kept out of the mainstream before it becomes a problem. The community here is very important to me, and I think keeping politics to a separate area would benefit our being able to maintain the level of unity we ought to have.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No surprise, considering it was me that typed it:blush:.

Actually, sorry Mark - I think I was wrong. Sorry, I was exhausted. Holy Week, lol. Both "options" were St. Justin's in the second case, and I mistakenly thought you meant to differentiate St. Justin's and St. Basil's. I was trying to be helpful and avoid confusion in your poll but I think it was myself that was confused. Sorry about that. Carry on. :)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Actually, sorry Mark - I think I was wrong. Sorry, I was exhausted. Holy Week, lol. Both "options" were St. Justin's in the second case, and I mistakenly thought you meant to differentiate St. Justin's and St. Basil's. I was trying to be helpful and avoid confusion in your poll but I think it was myself that was confused. Sorry about that. Carry on. :)

No worries; I'd never get upset with you!;):)

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
T

Thekla

No worries; I'd never get upset with you!;):)

Are you guys trying to make the need for a debate forum obsolete :D

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are you guys trying to make the need for a debate forum obsolete :D

Lol, would you prefer I try to be contentious? Don't go messing up Holy Week for me now. You have no idea how much time I've spent with my eyes glued to an icon, keeping prayers on my prayer bracelet out of sight, trying DESPERATELY not to accidentally sin again on the way to the chalice this week. I'm trying very hard to be non-contentious, lol. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

Thekla

Lol, would you prefer I try to be contentious? Don't go messing up Holy Week for me now. You have no idea how much time I've spent with my eyes glued to an icon, keeping prayers on my prayer bracelet out of sight, trying DESPERATELY not to accidentally sin again on the way to the chalice this week. I'm trying very hard to be non-contentious, lol. ;)

^_^ i'll just tiptoe quietly on my way ... and kali Anastasi !!!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
^_^ i'll just tiptoe quietly on my way ... and kali Anastasi !!!

Nah, I'd rather you hang around. :) Can I get you some tea? We had awesome ... I'd never spell it. Greek red lentil soup? today. I must try making that! I can't eat green lentils but this was wonderful.

Kali Anastasi!!!

Upvote 0