tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
New York is the archetypal representation of the New World Order.

Depopulation is a big tick mark on the list.

And, even if it doesn't lead to miscarriages or infertility, eugenics is soon to follow. Undesirables are already softly being removed from society. Just ask the mayor of LA and San Francisco concerning their homelsss...

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How much is excessive, and should a bartender be allowed to cut off a customer, like they could in other cases?

Of course, why couldn't they?

If you have a reasonable reason to conclude health could be at risk, you can cut someone off.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How much is excessive, and should a bartender be allowed to cut off a customer, like they could in other cases?

I remember when the bar keep was the counselor, therapist and police for the bar. If s/he said, "you had enough," that was it. In fact, in the South where that culture still exists somewhat, bartenders can be held responsible for certain types of negligence.

That a bartender can't refuse a pregnant woman a drink against his or her own conscious is crazy. The fact that a woman would want a drink pregnant is equally crazy.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Excessive would be binge drinking, the equivalent of 4-5 drinks in a short period. Although it elevates to heavy drinking if you binge several times a week. Nonetheless, how can a bar know if this is your first or fourth time at a bar this week? Moreover, not everyone at a bar is there to drink alcohol or binge drink.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Drinking alcohol does not hurt fetal development, drinking excessive amounts of alcohol can lead to fetal alcohol syndrome.

There are "ways" to get around harming the baby while drinking...

The interesting thing is that most foods and drinks break down into alcohols (-OH functional group.)

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I would agree.

Some doctors though, do recommend not drinking at all during pregnancy.
Make no mistake, I wouldn't encourage drinking any alcohol during pregnancy, but a lot of what is restricted during pregnancy is because we don't know the full effect on the fetus. Do we really want to create a study to determine the maximum amount of alcohol you can drink without harming fetal development? After Nazi experiments and Tuskegee, I am fully supportive of telling women, "Sorry, but you can't have any alcohol."

Yes, that is discrimination, but not all discrimination is harmful.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Make no mistake, I wouldn't encourage drinking any alcohol during pregnancy, but a lot of what is restricted during pregnancy is because we don't know the full effect on the fetus. Do we really want to create a study to determine the maximum amount of alcohol you can drink without harming fetal development? After Nazi experiments and Tuskegee, I am fully supportive of telling women, "Sorry, but you can't have any alcohol."

Agree.

Which is why, I would have no problem with a bartender refusing to serve a pregnant women alcohol, especially considering the litigation environment in the United States.

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Waivers don't provide complete protection.
A waiver might get you around the law but it wont help with your conscience. I couldn't pour a drink for a woman who is visibly pregnant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A waiver might get you around the law but it wont help with your conscience. I could pour a drink for a woman who is visibly pregnant.

Waivers never protect against negligence.

You sign a consent waiver when you go in for surgery, acknowledging the risks. If the doctor screws up, you can still sue him, for medical malpractice.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Waivers never protect against negligence.

You sign a consent waiver when you go in for surgery, acknowledging the risks. If the doctor screws up, you can still sue him, for medical malpractice.
Sorry, I meant to write couldn't!

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
An abortion is more humane, then drinking and causing your baby to be permanent brain damage. And have no life any way. The sad thing is some woman are alcoholics and don't even find out they are pregnant until much later in the pregnancy. So abortions off the table and the baby suffers. Also the alcoholic need treatment more than punishment.
I don't know how murder would be a more humane option and the amount of evil you can justify with this line of reasoning is incredible. Hitler and Stalin should receive some humanitarian awards for all the mercy killings they carried out on people who would have otherwise suffered under their rule.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This:
"New Guidelines Stress Pregnant Women's Right to Order Alcohol in New York City"

is not the same as this:

“Pregnant women should be allowed to enter any place of accommodation in New York City that a non-pregnant woman should be able to enter,” Carmelyn Malalis, commissioner and chairwoman of the city Commission on Human Rights, told ABC News."

ETA: OK I found the actual guidelines, and it does say a bar cannot refuse to serve a pregnant woman alcohol or raw fish.

Frankly, I tend to agree to an extent.... While it's generally frowned upon, a little bit of alcohol is not likely to harm an unborn child. My understanding is that while the occasional drink isn't likely to do any damage, it's just not considered worth the risk for a drink. That's what our OB told us.

I'm not super comfortable with the idea of a restaurant making a decision on what my pregnant wife can and cannot eat. There was recently a story about a barista refused to serve a pregnant woman coffee, but our OB says there's no data to suggest any sort of risk of drinking coffee after the first couple months of pregnancy. In fact, she's pregnant and was drinking a big cup of coffee when we first met with her.

Rules can be found here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/cchr/downloads/pdf/publications/Pregnancy_InterpretiveGuide_2016.pdf
So then, do the regulations or any laws indemnify the bartender and/or the establishment serving alcohol or raw fish from lawsuits if the child should have issues that might be traced to consumption of those substances?

If not i submit that the authorities making such a rule should be told to go pound sand.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Imagine a society where adult women were assumed to be competent to make their own decisions. Wouldn't that be cool?

What would be cooler is if more women (and men)
were truly competent to make decisions where the
welfare of others is at stake.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know how murder would be a more humane option and the amount of evil you can justify with this line of reasoning is incredible. Hitler and Stalin should receive some humanitarian awards for all the mercy killings they carried out on people who would have otherwise suffered under their rule.
I don't see abortions as evil at all. Compared to the abuse as suffering a child might have to through. Because of the mistakes of people.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't see abortions as evil at all. Compared to the abuse as suffering a child might have to through. Because of the mistakes of people.
So would you commend what Hitler and Stalin mercifully did for people? They knew these people would suffer living under the USSR or Nazi Germany so they killed them to prevent them from suffering. Was this praiseworthy? These people were not given the choice of whether they would rather endure the suffering or die just as a baby is not given a choice but obviously Hitler and Stalin knew what was best for them.

Reactions: Mayzoo
Upvote 0