New Christian experiencing night terrors. Need Prayers!

S. C.

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
✟15,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Everyone. I've just recently accepted Christ into my life (about a month ago to be exact). I have never had troubles with sleeping. Every once and a while I'll have a nightmare but they're not very intense and don't usually bother me. But since accepting God into my life I've been having strange dreams and when I wake up I feel so much fear and dread I can't even move. Only calling out to God and asking Him for help will stop this fear. I'm not very worried about this problem because I know God is protecting me and I trust him 100%. Today though, I've felt the need to ask for help from my brothers and sisters as well, so that's what I'm doing now. Never hurts to have more help.

I'm not very well versed in the scriptures, especially the ones concerning the spiritual realm, but from what I do know I'm assuming that evil entity my fellow Christians call Satan is attacking me. That's a problem because I don't have ANY interest in bad or doing bad anymore, so that guy is just wasting his time. I refuse to give him anymore power, because the only one who who holds the power is our Lord.

I don't have any supports from the christian community because I haven't been involved very much. (used to be an atheist and grew up in a Mormon family <-but lets not talk about the Mormon thing right now, it brings back bad memories.) And when I did decide to give Christianity a try I didn't go to church I just straight up read the bible and loved it! So yeah. And to make things even worse I'm not even in my home town I'm visiting family in Alberta. So yeah this whole realization and decision to follow god has been without support from community so far. It's been really hard to be honest, but it's cool I have God supporting me. Can't wait to get back home and get involved! I also have a feeling I'm off about some doctrine so it'll be good to get that fixed too. I blame that whole mormon thing for that lol.

But in the mean time, yeah, scary stuff going down in those dreams of mine. Prayers appreciated! Please and thank you!

Oh and tips about this new journey I'm on! So far I've been praying and reading scripture everyday, and once I get home I'm going to get involved in the christian community too. I'm going to find a church in this little town I'm visiting to go to tomorrow as well.

Thanks Everyone!

Reactions: Linus

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I advise just keep reading your scripture with a sincere desire to understand. In time, if your experience is anything like mine, you'll learn that everything that happens to you is the will of God to your ultimate good, even bad dreams, even bad realities. There's something you're lacking that these mean to impart to you.

There was a time long ago when I had similar experiences. I got to the point that I as soon as I woke, I became incensed, and closed my eyes, to fall back asleep, of the certain mind that I was going to destroy what had caused me to wake. I would enter sleep, right at the point in the dream that I left off, and absolutely destroyed everything there. This process repeated maybe three times, and the dreams ceased permanently. I remember the last such dream was of a huge, black hound that was attacking me. I woke, and returned to the dream in a rage of purpose, I slammed my hand on the hound's neck and drove it to the ground intent on destruction: it suddenly changed into a little black puppy with sorrowful eyes, so I let it go and it ran off.

But that was me from long ago. When anger was a companion. Now I simply know in my heart and mind that, all is always well, and in the hands of God. Now I just observe the things around me with the intent of understanding that which God desires of me. Thus, I never perceive "bad things" as occurring; only good things in disguise.

When others see "terror" I see beneath the black mask to the face of a shining angel, who winks at me.

Upvote 0

S. C.

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
✟15,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I advise just keep reading your scripture with a sincere desire to understand. In time, if your experience is anything like mine, you'll learn that everything that happens to you is the will of God to your ultimate good, even bad dreams, even bad realities. There's something you're lacking that these mean to impart to you.

There was a time long ago when I had similar experiences. I got to the point that I as soon as I woke, I became incensed, and closed my eyes, to fall back asleep, of the certain mind that I was going to destroy what had caused me to wake. I would enter sleep, right at the point in the dream that I left off, and absolutely destroyed everything there. This process repeated maybe three times, and the dreams ceased permanently. I remember the last such dream was of a huge, black hound that was attacking me. I woke, and returned to the dream in a rage of purpose, I slammed my hand on the hound's neck and drove it to the ground intent on destruction: it suddenly changed into a little black puppy with sorrowful eyes, so I let it go and it ran off.

But that was me from long ago. When anger was a companion. Now I simply know in my heart and mind that, all is always well, and in the hands of God. Now I just observe the things around me with the intent of understanding that which God desires of me. Thus, I never perceive "bad things" as occurring; only good things in disguise.

When others see "terror" I see beneath the black mask to the face of a shining angel, who winks at me.

Ah yes! I think I know what you're talking about. I have a feeling I know why I'm experiencing these dreams already. I'm sure I'll look back on this and realize the true meaning behind this experience. Thanks for your reply!

Upvote 0

Daryl Gleason

A man of God
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2016
Cali, Colombia
✟28,436.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Welcome, and grace and peace to you in the name of our Father and our lord Jesus Christ.

I would venture to say that it sounds like you are doing everything right so far; well done!

I agree with John and have found that all things that have happened over the course of my life, even including the most painful ones, have been gifts from God to teach me, form me, and bring me closer to him.

There were a few times early on where I had dreams in which I felt as if I were being attacked spiritually, but somehow I knew to call on the name of Jesus, and the attacks stopped without my even waking up. I haven't experienced any more for quite a long time now.

Regarding reading the Bible, unless you feel strongly otherwise (which is perfectly ok), I do generally recommend reading the New Testament before going back to the Old Testament, as it is more relevant to our lives today in the holy spirit, and its application is easier to understand. Another option is to follow one of the many reading plans around, such as can be found on biblegateway.com. My personal favorite for those just reading the Bible through for their first time is one that balances some chapters of the Old Testament with some of the New.

May you fully enjoy every experience on this new journey!

In Christ,
Daryl

Upvote 0

S. C.

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
✟15,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome, and grace and peace to you in the name of our Father and our lord Jesus Christ.

I would venture to say that it sounds like you are doing everything right so far; well done!

I agree with John and have found that all things that have happened over the course of my life, even including the most painful ones, have been gifts from God to teach me, form me, and bring me closer to him.

There were a few times early on where I had dreams in which I felt as if I were being attacked spiritually, but somehow I knew to call on the name of Jesus, and the attacks stopped without my even waking up. I haven't experienced any more for quite a long time now.

Regarding reading the Bible, unless you feel strongly otherwise (which is perfectly ok), I do generally recommend reading the New Testament before going back to the Old Testament, as it is more relevant to our lives today in the holy spirit, and its application is easier to understand. Another option is to follow one of the many reading plans around, such as can be found on biblegateway.com. My personal favorite for those just reading the Bible through for their first time is one that balances some chapters of the Old Testament with some of the New.

May you fully enjoy every experience on this new journey!

In Christ,
Daryl

Thank you Daryl! I agree with your advice. The old testament can be a hard read to start with (for me anyways). I'll check that website out!

Upvote 0

LastAcorn99

Sep 15, 2016
Colorado Springs
✟34,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It’s wonderful to hear that you’ve made the decision to follow Christ -- welcome to the Family! Please know that I’ll be praying for you, asking the Lord to guide you as you seek to learn and grow in Him. May God bless you with renewed hope in the days ahead. Shalom!

Upvote 0

Strong Wave

Sep 14, 2016
Colorado
✟28,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You’ve encouraged me, friend. I’m glad to know that you’ve recently become a Christian. I’ll pray for God to protect you and bless you richly as you walk with Him by faith. May He guide you as you seek His help in locating a church in your community. I’ve always found Psalm 91 very comforting -- the psalm of protection. I read it every night. :) Stay blessed!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S. C.

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
✟15,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you everyone for your prayers! The night terrors have stopped. God has heard our prayers, and thanks to him my nights are restful. Sorry I didn't reply a thank you to all the latest comments. But I'm sending them to you all in my heart and to our Lord.

Upvote 0