New children'smovie out that teaches "killing G-d."

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
A fair warning of what soon coming out for the Christmas movie season . Be sure to pass this on to protect the children of others. / Thank You !

There will be considerable hype around this movie and the sale of the books for Christmas. Knowledge is power so go to the site below and read about "The Golden Compass" series and pass it along to your families and friends. The trilogy of books of which this is the first have sold over 15 million world wide and has won awards in 1995, 2001 and in 2007. In a 2003 interview the author, Philip Pullman, stated "my books are about killing G-d."

LA Times Review
LATimes Review said:
THE "Golden Compass" movie is set in a parallel universe similar to Oxford, England, where everyone's soul is physically manifested as a "daemon" or talking animal counselor. Witch clans patrol from the skies and warrior polar bears do battle. The malevolent governing body "the Magisterium" -- also referenced in the book as "the Church" -- is racing to decipher the true nature of the mystical particles known as "Dust" by kidnapping children and cutting away the invisible thread that bonds them to their daemons, which, in essence, removes their souls. Lyra Belacqua (12-year-old newcomer Dakota Blue Richards), a canny urchin raised by scholars, is thrust into the drama when her best friend is snatched.
LATimes Review said:
"The Golden Compass" was first published in the U.K. by Scholastic in 1995 as "Northern Lights," and the book was selected by judges of the Carnegie Medal as one of the 10 most important children's novels of the past 70 years. "The Subtle Knife" was published in 1997, followed in 2000 by "The Amber Spyglass." New Line bought the film rights to the series in 2002.

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Henaynei said:
Philip Pullman, stated "my books are about killing G-d."
I didn't know you could pronouce "G-d".
lol that's the best with which you have to respond?;)

What do you care how I *write* G-d? :)

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
It sounds like a good movie to me. *Shrug* As long as you're just wanting people to get the word out, and not, like, trying to ban the movie or books, that's cool with me.
all I'm trying to do is inform believing parents for the sake of their children .... how they handle it is their responsibility once they have the knowledge...

Upvote 0
L

LouTheWicked

*Sigh* Here's the IMDB page on it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385752/

Lyra Belaqua, living in Oxford's Jordan College, is not but a young girl living among scholars. Her world may seem diverse, from physical embodiments of souls that take the shape of an animal, but similar with people around you to become friends and enemies. She is thrown into a perilous adventure when she overhears a conversation of an extraordinary microscopic particle, Dust. This particle is said to unite different worlds, and is feared by many who want to destroy it forever. As Lyra is flung into the middle of this horrible struggle, she meets wondrous creatures both big and small, and villains who are not what they seem. Gobblers, that kidnap children, will turn out in the most unexpected places. And a magical compass of gold that will answer any question if one is skilled enough to read it. Lyra's adventure continues throughout these three books, and the first is about to be told.

Um, no mentioning of "killing God" here. I think you misinterpreted that. At the end of the story, an entity who claimed to have created everything in their world and was their god turned out to be a senile old warlord who needed to be overthrown. It makes absolutely no mentioning of YOUR god. You might as well not be watching Stargate or anything else that discusses gods if you're so badly offended by it.

It was written from the view of an agnostic, not an atheist. It's also been "toned down" to prevent the fundies throwing another "OH NOES BAN IT!" hissy fit.

Upvote 0

Peterk45

Jul 3, 2007
✟7,911.00
Faith
Other Religion
Fundies will throw that hissy fit in any case and it's been toned down because it wouldn't translate so well to big screens I remember hearing.

It's not children's movie either, since the books are geared towards adults, and include a lot of things that children wouldn't understand. And I don't think it would be appropriate movie for younger children to see anyway. It draws REALLY HEAVILY on Paradise Lost, which isn't really for children either. But the books are good, not as much anti-religion than they are anti-church.

Good topic though, to warn people. I haven't heard this being marketed towards children but it's a grave error if it is.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
*Sigh* Here's the IMDB page on it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385752/

Lyra Belaqua, living in Oxford's Jordan College, is not but a young girl living among scholars. Her world may seem diverse, from physical embodiments of souls that take the shape of an animal, but similar with people around you to become friends and enemies. She is thrown into a perilous adventure when she overhears a conversation of an extraordinary microscopic particle, Dust. This particle is said to unite different worlds, and is feared by many who want to destroy it forever. As Lyra is flung into the middle of this horrible struggle, she meets wondrous creatures both big and small, and villains who are not what they seem. Gobblers, that kidnap children, will turn out in the most unexpected places. And a magical compass of gold that will answer any question if one is skilled enough to read it. Lyra's adventure continues throughout these three books, and the first is about to be told.

Um, no mentioning of "killing God" here. I think you misinterpreted that. At the end of the story, an entity who claimed to have created everything in their world and was their god turned out to be a senile old warlord who needed to be overthrown. It makes absolutely no mentioning of YOUR god. You might as well not be watching Stargate or anything else that discusses gods if you're so badly offended by it.

It was written from the view of an agnostic, not an atheist. It's also been "toned down" to prevent the fundies throwing another "OH NOES BAN IT!" hissy fit.

Sigh.
Why are you quoting an IMDB page rather than the OP? Pullman clearly states that he is an avowed atheist and the purpose of his books is to kill God. Why do the nofundie atheists ignore reality, and change the subject?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fundies will throw that hissy fit in any case and it's been toned down because it wouldn't translate so well to big screens I remember hearing.

It's not children's movie either, since the books are geared towards adults, and include a lot of things that children wouldn't understand. And I don't think it would be appropriate movie for younger children to see anyway. It draws REALLY HEAVILY on Paradise Lost, which isn't really for children either. But the books are good, not as much anti-religion than they are anti-church.

Good topic though, to warn people. I haven't heard this being marketed towards children but it's a grave error if it is.

I'm not sure where you get your info, but the books have always been marketed toward kids, I became aware of them when my kids were born. I'm sure the movie will be marketed towards children.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
From the descriptions I found online the Christan God doesn't even enter into it. I don't know why any Christan would be offended by imaginary characters offing a false god. Is there a new set of rules about what to believers are to get incenced about now? I may be out of the loop.

Upvote 0

Peterk45

Jul 3, 2007
✟7,911.00
Faith
Other Religion
I'm not sure where you get your info, but the books have always been marketed toward kids, I became aware of them when my kids were born. I'm sure the movie will be marketed towards children.
The places you've seen it marketed in have been a bit messed up then. I guess the whole "fantasy book" angle is enough for some to market it to children. No idea if you've read them but they a lot of stuff that children wouldn't understand (and some adults as well) which makes it something that shouldn't be considered a work for children. The books bring up topics like quantum physics and existential philosophy and is heavily based on a book on 17th century that is political satire in a poet form. I've no idea what goes on in the minds of people who actively and widely market it to kids apart from making more money. I'm a bit surprised if it's so widely spread like could be understood from what you wrote!

I've seen it marketed towards children very rarely and usually in ways that leave it very clearly visible that the marketers didn't really take time to actually read the books, and I surely hope the movie isn't going to be marketed towards children.

And to flicka: The books actually talk about Jesus in a very positive way. The being offended part comes from the world of the books being essentially atheistic in nature and a lot of people get angry about fiction like that.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
And to flicka: The books actually talk about Jesus in a very positive way. The being offended part comes from the world of the books being essentially atheistic in nature and a lot of people get angry about fiction like that.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've never read these books myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The movie is just a bunch of heathen raging.

Yea, we know, there are a lot of heathen that hate God.

I hope that they know that eternal flames await them. Sad but true.
Ah, the movie has gotten the SoF stamp of disapproval. I simply must go see it now. :D

Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
From the descriptions I found online the Christan God doesn't even enter into it. I don't know why any Christan would be offended by imaginary characters offing a false god. Is there a new set of rules about what to believers are to get incenced about now? I may be out of the loop.
LATimes Review said:
THE "Golden Compass" movie is set in a parallel universe similar to Oxford, England, where everyone's soul is physically manifested as a "daemon" or talking animal counselor. Witch clans patrol from the skies and warrior polar bears do battle. The malevolent governing body "the Magisterium" -- also referenced in the book as "the Church" -- is racing to decipher the true nature of the mystical particles known as "Dust" by kidnapping children and cutting away the invisible thread that bonds them to their daemons, which, in essence, removes their souls. Lyra Belacqua (12-year-old newcomer Dakota Blue Richards), a canny urchin raised by scholars, is thrust into the drama when her best friend is snatched.

The places you've seen it marketed in have been a bit messed up then. I guess the whole "fantasy book" angle is enough for some to market it to children. No idea if you've read them but they a lot of stuff that children wouldn't understand (and some adults as well) which makes it something that shouldn't be considered a work for children. The books bring up topics like quantum physics and existential philosophy and is heavily based on a book on 17th century that is political satire in a poet form. I've no idea what goes on in the minds of people who actively and widely market it to kids apart from making more money. I'm a bit surprised if it's so widely spread like could be understood from what you wrote!

I've seen it marketed towards children very rarely and usually in ways that leave it very clearly visible that the marketers didn't really take time to actually read the books, and I surely hope the movie isn't going to be marketed towards children.
LATimes Review said:
"The Golden Compass" was first published in the U.K. by Scholastic in 1995 as "Northern Lights," and the book was selected by judges of the Carnegie Medal as one of the 10 most important children's novels of the past 70 years. "The Subtle Knife" was published in 1997, followed in 2000 by "The Amber Spyglass." New Line bought the film rights to the series in 2002.
LA Times Review

Upvote 0

mrpiddly

May 27, 2007
✟16,409.00
Faith
Atheist
my kids will not be watching it.

Yes, we must protect children from evil people like that. Him and harry potter are corrupting the world by spreading their evil lessons about childhood growth, moral values, overcoming adversity, constructively solving problems, and other atheist nonsense.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, we must protect children from evil people like that. Him and harry potter are corrupting the world by spreading their evil lessons about childhood growth, moral values, overcoming adversity, constructively solving problems, and other atheist nonsense.
those values and lessons can be taught, and are, without dissing Christanity. The Christian community is pretty good at teaching these things using their internal value structure, at least as good as the atheists :D

it is totally unnecessary for me to go to a spiritual burlesque show to learn "modesty" or how to write a song, just because the score is artful and the "message" is "good."

Reactions: BlackAndy
Upvote 0