New children'smovie out that teaches "killing G-d."

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Good, that eliminates the chance I'll run into you at the theater.
not a problem :)

What is morally bankrupt about this film?

Protect your own children from whatever it is that you feel the need to protect them from. Other parents can make their own decisions.

this was presented as information for Christians, I'd no illusions that non-Christians would find anything of value in this information - I even expect some Christians to disagree as well, that is their prerogative - and it is mine to make this information available to those for whom it is an issue and would prefer to be so informed...

Others may well wish to see this movie, that is also their prerogative :)

as for me and my house .....

b'Shalom
Henaynei

Upvote 0

aspirine

May 7, 2007
✟7,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
A fair warning of what soon coming out for the Christmas movie season . Be sure to pass this on to protect the children of others. / Thank You !

There will be considerable hype around this movie and the sale of the books for Christmas. Knowledge is power so go to the site below and read about "The Golden Compass" series and pass it along to your families and friends. The trilogy of books of which this is the first have sold over 15 million world wide and has won awards in 1995, 2001 and in 2007. In a 2003 interview the author, Philip Pullman, stated "my books are about killing G-d."

LA Times Review
If it is slamming the Magisterium I have no problem with that at all. I slam the Magisterium frequently. I am not Roman Catholic and as an article of faith I believe the Magisterium is false doctrine.

Upvote 0

daperfectmix

Jul 24, 2007
Maryland
✟9,138.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
this was presented as information for Christians, I'd no illusions that non-Christians would find anything of value in this information - I even expect some Christians to disagree as well, that is their prerogative - and it is mine to make this information available to those for whom it is an issue and would prefer to be so informed...

Others may well wish to see this movie, that is also their prerogative :)

as for me and my house .....

b'Shalom
Henaynei

and i appreciate your sharing of this information. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Sigh.
Why are you quoting an IMDB page rather than the OP? Pullman clearly states that he is an avowed atheist and the purpose of his books is to kill God. Why do the nofundie atheists ignore reality, and change the subject?

It's certainly true that Pullman is an avowed atheist - an anti-theist, even; children's literature's answer to Richard Dawkins. However, Christians I know who have read the book (which I've not done myself) have pointed out that the "God" Pullman presents in the book has nothing to do with the God they believe in, and similarly the church he presents is nothing like the church to which they belong (meaning, the broader church rather than the local fellowship).

I expect I'll be seeing the film. It's got Daniel Craig and a polar bear. What more could you want?

David.

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
I agree, the books are not suitable for children, they're too complex. They're OK for 13 and older, but not really for children IMO.

Well, 13+ is still children - older children, perhaps, but children nevertheless.

Like the Harry Potter series, Pullman's books seem to be enjoyed by both their intended audience of young people, and by adults alike.

David.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Any book or movie that gets the superstitious folks (not just christans) worked up is worth looking into. It's really funny to see people bluster about this kind of stuff. Makes life more entertaining :). Maybe even more entertaining than the books/movies themselves.

Upvote 0

Talmidah

היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD

There, I got it out of my system. :)

:confused:

Upvote 0

SeraphymCrashing

Jun 21, 2007
✟16,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's certainly true that Pullman is an avowed atheist - an anti-theist, even; children's literature's answer to Richard Dawkins. However, Christians I know who have read the book (which I've not done myself) have pointed out that the "God" Pullman presents in the book has nothing to do with the God they believe in, and similarly the church he presents is nothing like the church to which they belong (meaning, the broader church rather than the local fellowship).

I expect I'll be seeing the film. It's got Daniel Craig and a polar bear. What more could you want?

David.
and the polar bear (Iorek) is by far the coolest character from the books.

Hopefully though it will still have the aeronaut and his bunny, they are the second coolest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes, when the parents are "morally deficient" the children need someone with a little better sense to lean in and provide a little guidance.

Wow. I didn't think I'd ever see such a bold display by someone who claims that government "influence" or whatever is so awful would suggest that people like him should be telling other parents how to raise their children.

Reactions: Dannager
Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well, 13+ is still children - older children, perhaps, but children nevertheless.

Like the Harry Potter series, Pullman's books seem to be enjoyed by both their intended audience of young people, and by adults alike.

David.
Yes, but rather than "children's books" I'd call them "adolescent's books". (or young adults, etc.) Lots of books in that age range are about serious subjects so it fits in that category I think. Harry Potter is a lighter read (although it always surprises me to hear that parents let their 7-year-olds read Harry Potter; to me, that's still for 10 and older, and the last two books for 12 and older I think).

Hopefully though it will still have the aeronaut and his bunny, they are the second coolest.
Yes, Lee and his daemon, the hare - man, they made me cry when they died. :( And I don't cry easily. Pullman is a great writer.

Upvote 0