Needs and wants, which are greater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xcarvengerx

Love God - Love People - Love Life - Love Dizzle!!
Dec 8, 2006
Sydney
✟36,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is written by my ministry friend. He would like to know what CFers think about this topic.

We live in a society that is driven by its wants. The wants of the promotion, the new car, the house, the status, the girlfriend or boyfriend, the fame, the fortune, the new nokia cell phone. These passions for the things we want have helped advancing the society we live in. There is a want for a faster car so it is created. There is a want for a better computer so it comes out on the market. There is a want for a knife that can cut through a shoe, so you can buy it on T.V. The wants of our society have driven us to greatness. But is there a force more powerful?

The power of a need should never been underestimated. There have been hundred if not thousands of cases of people doing the most incredible things to fill a need. For example, once there was a man in Brisbane, Australia, who got attacked late at night by a shark. He made it to shore but lost a leg and was bleeding all over. He was at a deserted beach so he dragged himself 2 kilometres (1.25 miles), with a leg missing and losing blood every second to finally get to a house that could help. He was driven by a need to live. This need took him further than he could normally go.

So the question is what is greater, needs or wants? There are many situations in life where this comes to play and so we can learn from each other about this topic.

Are wants selfish? Are needs boring? How do you determine what is a want and what is a need? These are some of the questions that need to be answered. This question isn't just about if you want or need a new pair of shorts but a question that is relevant in many parts of lives, in particular to this: Having a relationship with God is a want or a need? .

Which is greater, needs or wants?

I encourage you, have fun with this, step out, write something bold and think in a different way than you ever have before. Thank you.:)

Xcarvengerx

Dec 8, 2006
Sydney
✟36,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wants are described in the Bible as lusts. Paul exhorts us to be content in all situations. Jesus promises that God will meet our needs, not our wants. Search the scriptures, and you will have your answer. Oh, and having a relationship with God is a clear need, without it we are dead. This is much like breathing.
Originally*, I have a similar thinking with you regarding our relationship with God. But then I was asked does God need or want a relationship with us?

This is what I think originally*:

Definition of need: "anything that is necessary but lacking"; "motivation, the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal"

Definition of want: "feel or have a desire for"; "the state of needing something that is absent or unavailable".

From the definition I can deduce that we need something that is necessary (not must have) whereas we want something just for the sake of it. Want comes after need and need comes after a must. Hierarchically speaking, need is more important than want.

Want is not selfish because we know as citizens of Kingdom of Heaven, we have all God's promises that are written in the Bible plus more. After all we are the children of God.

Need is not boring. We do it because it is necessary not routine. God's blessings are new every morning (Lamentations 3:23).

*I have had a huge discussion with many people regarding this question, I may post a few things of what they think later (from another forum and from my church) so basically they have changed my perspective about need and want a lot. And no, there are no correct or incorrect answers. Just opinion.:)

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟716,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think Gos takes care of both:

Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.

Psalm 34:9 Oh, fear the LORD, you His saints!
There is no want to those who fear Him.

Upvote 0

Wisdom's Child

Seek Wisdom and Understanding
Dec 30, 2003
Trenton, Florida
Visit site
✟9,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let me put a slightly different twist to this subject.
It is often that we find that the needs of others are filled by the "wants" of those who desire to meet the needs of others.
If we did not live in such a great society where dreams can and do get realized what would we really have?

The wants of the promotion, are fulfilled often out of a need for greater income, could you be content with 50 cents a day to buy one loaf of bread for you family, possessing nothing else? Who could you help in turn if you lack resources yourself?

the new car, is often needed to be able to get to work and hold a job in many areas of the country.

the house, is needed because shelter is a requirement of life. If newer homes were not built, there would be even more of a shortage of housing then there is currently.

the status, is because there is a need in the human soul for affirmation and recognition. Without which, many would simply give up.

the girlfriend or boyfriend, is very needed because without love in your life there would be no purpose for many to look beyond themselves.

the fame, the fortune, once again comes from status, when a society achieves and becomes successful, some happen to find themselves on top. There are many that have reached such a plateau without loosing their humility, or love of God who has blessed them greatly, and as a result continue to bless others.

the new nokia cell phone, is needed when you are on the road far from town with a broken radiator hose. It is often at those times when people want one.

These passions for the things we want have helped advancing the society we live in.

The passion for wanting to meet the needs of others keeps you in business.

There is a want for a faster car so it is created. There is a want for a better computer so it comes out on the market. There is a want for a knife that can cut through a shoe, so you can buy it on T.V. The wants of our society have driven us to greatness.

What makes the difference between a want and a need?
We need God, and God wants us...

Reactions: Xcarvengerx
Upvote 0

The Princess Bride

Legend
Site Supporter
May 2, 2005
Georgia
✟69,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God may only want us, but we NEED Him
Good point.

I dont think wants or needs are bad, what makes them bad is what they might be, and if you let them control you.

I think above all though, we should WANT to NEED God, not just NEED Him so we arent doomed, but WANT Him for a relationship with Him. :)

Upvote 0

Xcarvengerx

Dec 8, 2006
Sydney
✟36,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is another view on this topic:

Wants are something that we don’t especially need to survive but can and always will make life more comfortable and exciting. A need is something we need to for fill to survive. Just say that a person is living a normal life with a nine to five job, an ok income and a reasonably good lifestyle but nothing out or the ordinary. This person could physically live without wanting anymore from life, but their life wouldn’t be as fulfilling.
In everyone one of us there is a drive to be great, to live a life worth noticing and to live as someone who stands out from the crowd and shines, the drive is in all of us, however it is not a need but a want.
We can survive without having influence or doing something special but we want it. This want to be something more then just another ordinary person is a want that can overshadow all our needs and focus our lives on for filling the inner drive within us which then becomes a need, the need that will then take us to out “Genii Loci” which is a place or stage in life that acts on our internal psychology that then can govern what out needs and wants are. But to get to our Genii loci, we have to have the want, to get up and change, which can then change into a need when we see the possible outcome if the want is lived out and shows a better life then before.

Both wants and needs are essential to living an awesome life, they complement each other. We all have a drive to fulfill a need that will change our lives, but it starts with wanting it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good point.

I dont think wants or needs are bad, what makes them bad is what they might be, and if you let them control you.

I think above all though, we should WANT to NEED God, not just NEED Him so we arent doomed, but WANT Him for a relationship with Him.

Hey, I remember the Princess Bride movie! Chris Sarandon (from Fright Night in the 80's) played the King?... & I think Andre the Giant was in it too? Was Billy Crystal in that one - I think I remember him living in a tree or something? lol :scratch:

Anyways, There's a verse that comes to mind about what you said here: "Seek ye FIRST the Kingdom of God and all these other things shall be given to you".

I think EVERY human being naturally wants to be self sufficient & financially secure without lacking anything. Alot of our fears have to do with security (mostly for women I've noticed).

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want wealth down here plus eternal life w/ God & be able to be trusted by God with all my riches... Not that there aren't problems with being filthy rich! (it doesn't ensure happiness) - but it can provide some comforts, fun & ease other worries we face.

As I see it, alot of us have it imbalanced where some say we shouldnt' WANT anything (for pleasure, $ security) & wealth is bad - or - that God WANTS us to prosper & have an abundance here....
Which is it? :confused: :help:

My motto is always BALANCE - it's probly both in moderation as long as our heart is RIGHT with God. ANY blessing God gives us can become a curse or hinderance if we abuse it or put our trust in IT over God.
Just my 2 cents :holy:

Upvote 0

JTLauder

Aug 26, 2006
✟16,505.00
Faith
Protestant
Everyone seems to draw a clear distinction between "wants" and "needs". "Needs" being things which are necessary; and "Wants" as being something not necessary but desired.

With very rigid definitions, that's true, but I'm going to blur the lines some and say that they are not necessarily exclusive of each other. Everyone has "needs" but not everyone acknowledges them or even want them. People may all have different "wants" but very likely most are not "needs" but it doesn't mean that all "wants" are absolutely NOT "needs."

For example, Christians here will all agree that everyone "needs" God. But for people to come to God, they must first acknowledge their own "need" for him, and then they must have a desire to "want" him. For someone to come to God and not feel the desire or "want" for him, would be coming to God with resentment in his heart. It's like saying "OK, God, I know you are real and that I need you to save me, but I hate that this is the only way. I don't want to follow you, but I need you." That's why God wants people to come to them on their own.

As another example, the original poster described a man in a shark attack dragging himself to safety. Actually, I would say that the initial response (after shock) is motivated by instinct rather than a "want" or "need". After that survival instinct kicks in, he may recognize his "need" for safety to survive. But if he does not have the desire or will or "want" to survive, he will not put much effort into saving himself.

So the strongest motivator for someone to do anything, he must first recognize his need for it, and then have the desire to really want it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.