Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Are you someone who needs a lot of space from other people, especially in a relationship? Do you value your time alone or do you have to be around other people all the time?

I need a lot of space and I really value my time alone. I don't fear being alone. It actually recharges me so-to-speak. If I was in a relationship, I don't think I could be with someone who wanted to see me all the time. I think I'd get tired of them. ^_^

Reactions: chuck77

Somber

꧁✿❁❀❁✿꧂
Oct 23, 2011
The Fairy Ring
✟101,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think I'm the type that needs space. I've never been in a relationship before, but I'm sure I would become very uncomfortable if someone was constantly wanting my time, or at least if I still didn't know that person very well. Some people I love being around and wish I could spend more time with. But I do need time and space sometimes.

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think the person with the upper hand will want more space, and the person who "lucked out" will tend to be more clingy.

So it depends :).
This is so true. The person with more power in the relationship is always the one that isn't as invested in it.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I think the person with the upper hand will want more space, and the person who "lucked out" will tend to be more clingy.

So it depends :).
I have seen the opposite, the person with the upper hand tends to assert more control over the other person and the other person ends up needing more space due to the stress of essentially having to deal with someone of a more controlling nature.

Upvote 0

The Dreamer

Apr 11, 2012
✟422.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is so true.

Ty.

That's why the "lesser" (used loosely here) person sometimes needs to pull away to reign back in the head of the other. (to counter)

Personally, I think I play this move too much and too hard. Like, if I feel unappreciated, I'm like, "o.k., lets see how much fun you have without my glorious light in your life." :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Dreamer

Apr 11, 2012
✟422.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have seen the opposite, the person with the upper hand tends to assert more control over the other person and the other person ends up needing more space due to the stress of essentially having to deal with someone of a more controlling nature.

Nah, this is a weak person holding on to the only thing they think they can get. imo, maybe

Or possibly, but more rare (if a guy), a person who just knows what's up, is committed , but realizes they're going to have to drag their partner kicking and screaming along.

Upvote 0

Somber

꧁✿❁❀❁✿꧂
Oct 23, 2011
The Fairy Ring
✟101,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

This is how I have seen it too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Only rarely, honestly; which is odd because I'm not a very social person. But if I'm with someone who is close to me and whose company I enjoy, I can be around them pretty much all the time. Of course I've only experienced this with close friends up to this point, but I don't imagine it would be any different with a SO.

Upvote 0

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are you someone who needs a lot of space from other people, especially in a relationship? Do you value your time alone or do you have to be around other people all the time?

I need a lot of space and I really value my time alone. I don't fear being alone. It actually recharges me so-to-speak. If I was in a relationship, I don't think I could be with someone who wanted to see me all the time. I think I'd get tired of them. ^_^

Romantic relationships: In some ways yes and no. In my recent experience, I've never felt, I "need space" I just get it because we just happen to give/gave each other time.

In other kinds of relationships: Yes and no as well. But I have to say I love space. I love space when I'm working a lot or have so much to do, I want to be by myself. I tend to do that one day a week. I spend a few hours by myself, away from the house and everyone else. Its so therapeutic. It clears my head and I feel like when I get back and transition well enough to the rest of the week. This especially helps me if I have been in disequilibrium for a long while. I feel my body wanting to get away from everything, so a couple of hours really helps.

Upvote 0

anewday

This girl is on fire.
Apr 24, 2010
Golden Coast
✟30,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Considering I recently got back from an hour-long solo hike and absolutely loved it, yes I need space. I've actually been spending more time alone and haven't minded it as much as in the past. Lately I'll give myself one day or evening to hang with friends, Sundays for church, and the rest of the time I try to focus on work and finishing school. Its all give and take. Some people like/need space and others don't. Also, most of my relationships have differed regarding this, but most of the time I was the one needing/wanting space. Maybe that will change in the future....:confused:...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Usually I need some space. I don't really like people, I'm am an extrovert, but a rather anti-social one at that. The majority of people just irritate me.

With the current bf, I don't really need "space" though. I don't get tired of him (and he's not super clingy, he CAN be, but I take that as a sign he needs attention and give it to him and enjoy it) and we can very easily be in a room together but still doing separate things. The best way I can describe it is that it's like having a dog around. Nobody gets tired or needs space from a dog...They're just the perfect companion.

Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

It depends on the person/people I'm around. If I'm really enjoying their company, we just "click," and all is going well, I won't need much space aside from a little while to go for a walk later on and reflect on how awesome the evening was. But if it's the opposite and there's just no... rapport with the person/people, I'm going to tire out sooner. Usually, the more work I have to put into a relationship or an amount of time spent together, the more tiresome and the less pleasurable it's going to be.

Upvote 0

anewday

This girl is on fire.
Apr 24, 2010
Golden Coast
✟30,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Usually I need some space. I don't really like people, I'm am an extrovert, but a rather anti-social one at that. The majority of people just irritate me.

With the current bf, I don't really need "space" though. I don't get tired of him (and he's not super clingy, he CAN be, but I take that as a sign he needs attention and give it to him and enjoy it) and we can very easily be in a room together but still doing separate things. The best way I can describe it is that it's like having a dog around. Nobody gets tired or needs space from a dog...They're just the perfect companion.

Ok, did you just compare your boyfriend to a DOG :confused:^_^:thumbsup:?? Actually, that makes sense... If I ever find a guy that I enjoy being around more than my cat, he will be a keeper :D.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private