Nebraska mother sentenced to 2 years for helping her daughter get illegal abortion and dispose of fetus (daughter got 90 days)

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

A Nebraska mother who provided an illegal abortion for her daughter and helped dispose of the fetus gets 2 years in prison, report says

The sentence comes after Jessica Burgess, 42, pleaded guilty in July to two felonies – removing, concealing or abandoning a dead human body, and performing an abortion beyond 20 weeks – and a misdemeanor charge of false reporting.

Burgess’s daughter, Celeste Burgess, now 19, was sentenced in July to 90 days in jail after pleading guilty to a felony charge of removing, concealing or abandoning a dead human body.

The pills purchased by Jessica Burgess are not prescribed by doctors after a pregnancy has reached 10 weeks, Madison County Attorney Joe Smith said, according to the Norfolk Daily News.

[The daughter was 28 weeks along. One example of an unsafe illegal abortion.]

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We need stronger penalties for baby murder.
And for that reason, we need a homicide investigation for every miscarriage. And every woman should be forced to provide menstrual and contraception information to the authorities, tracked electronically, or submit to a medical examination on a monthly basis. Doctor/patient confidentiality should be eliminated for women.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This happened Happened before Row verses Wade was overturned. So their shouldn't be a reason for someone waited until 28 weeks. Unless something was wrong with the fetus. Or someone was afraid to tell her parents. This is why BC and education is very important.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
And for that reason, we need a homicide investigation for every miscarriage. And every woman should be forced to provide menstrual and contraception information to the authorities, tracked electronically, or submit to a medical examination on a monthly basis. Doctor/patient confidentiality should be eliminated for women.
To better facilitate the “full compliance” with these fair and equitable laws (which men will also have to live under), perhaps universal healthcare should be initiated in this Nation, to adequately surveil potential murderers and perform a pregnancy test with every doctor’s visit, including dentists, to root out vicious killers before they decide to rip the life from their very own bodies!?*

What a Utopia this brave new world is turning out to be!

*yes it’s the proper use of a straw man

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,195.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That, and make sure they have permission from a male family member before traveling, because not all states are going to have appropriately strict laws like these.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Instead of all these weird laws everyone is sarcastically proposing, why don't we teach our young children about how lives are valuable and the responsibility certain acts bring about as a consequence. Not only that, but that 'consequence' is not something which should be devalued or belittled but cherished and celebrated.

Teach our men to value and protect women instead of just use them and teach women to demand their own value and protect their modesty until they marry.

We didn't have all these issues until we decided we could do as/when we pleased and the babies suffered as a result of our carelessness and arrogance.

It's not rocket science. It just means we need restraint, stop being lazy with morals (our own and what we teach our children) and need to resume acting like adults.

Don't waste my time trying to group miscarriages with abortion. They're not the same.

Also, don't try to throw fringe issues in as a way for justification. Women throughout history have suffered and still cherished babies, no matter how they came about, because babies are not responsible for the sins of their fathers and we were taught to cherish the lives of the innocent.

This is the way we rebuild society.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Instead of all these weird laws everyone is sarcastically proposing, why don't we teach our young children about how lives are valuable and the responsibility certain acts bring about as a consequence. Not only that, but that 'consequence' is not something which should be devalued or belittled but cherished and celebrated.

Teach our men to value and protect women instead of just use them and teach women to demand their own value and protect their modesty until they marry.

We didn't have all these issues until we decided we could do as/when we pleased and the babies suffered as a result of our carelessness and arrogance.

It's not rocket science. It just means we need restraint, stop being lazy with morals (our own and what we teach our children) and need to resume acting like adults.

Don't waste my time trying to group miscarriages with abortion. They're not the same.

Also, don't try to throw fringe issues in as a way for justification. Women throughout history have suffered and still cherished babies, no matter how they came about, because babies are not responsible for the sins of their fathers and we were taught to cherish the lives of the innocent.

This is the way we rebuild society.
Exactly. Teaching teens about birth control, having safe sexuality and exactly how hard having kids is (especially at a young age) would be far better than outlawing abortion which leads to tragic cases like this.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Teaching teens about birth control, having safe sexuality and exactly how hard having kids is (especially at a young age) would be far better than outlawing abortion which leads to tragic cases like this.
Fair enough re: your opinion.

IMO, abortion needs to be banned everywhere.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please show where that has ever reduced the frequency of abortions.
Yes, let me consult the 'records' from before all of our times to prove validity.

Or, should I just rely on the 'evidence' proposed by Planned Parenthood as they are totally unbiased but within our lifetime?

My opinion stands, regardless.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes, let me consult the 'records' from before all of our times to prove validity.

Or, should I just rely on the 'evidence' proposed by Planned Parenthood as they are totally unbiased but within our lifetime?

My opinion stands, regardless.
If you don’t have any evidence to support your opinion why should anyone give a credence to it?

You’re guessing that banning abortion will reduce abortions when there is no evidence to suggest that it would.

Would you support sex ed and free birth control which HAS been shown to reduce abortion?

After all, what works is surely the best choice, right?

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you don’t have any evidence to support your opinion why should anyone give a credence to it?

You’re guessing that banning abortion will reduce abortions when there is no evidence to suggest that it would.

Would you support sex ed and free birth control which HAS been shown to reduce abortion?

After all, what works is surely the best choice, right?
I don't need evidence to support my opinion.

The bible supports the rule of God so the rule of man is irrelevant to me.

If the rule of man can compliment the rule of God, then we are at an excellent place, IMO.

Anyone can produce 'evidence' to support their view if they are too insecure to have an opinion without backup from a stranger or an institution. If you would like to refute my opinion, but validate yours on this basis, feel free to provide your 'evidence'.

Murder 'works' for a lot of people for a lot of reasons. It's still a sin.

Upvote 0