U.S. Midwest
✟15,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
well.... i was a member of a Nazarene church for many, many years, but our pastor went away... boo-hoo... and our church dwindled.

several years later, pastor started another Nazarene church in another town, only about 30 miles from my town, so we started going to this new church in the other town. the town sits between two cities where he used to pastor churches, and many people now come from both those cities to this little 100-person town to attend church under our old pastor. God bless him.

our little congregation grew quite quickly, and beings as most of our members tithe, the $$ was flowing, and we needed a larger building, so wanted to add on... but CoN council or whoever... sorry i'm not up on all the details, would not let us use the $$ to add on... so we took a church vote, and decided to become a nondenominational church... 100% vote in that direction, so now we are 'nondenominational' but i do love the Church of the Nazarene, and my 'icon' still says Nazarene. but really, i'm not any label, just a child of the King :)

Upvote 0
C

CelticRebel

well.... i was a member of a Nazarene church for many, many years, but our pastor went away... boo-hoo... and our church dwindled.

several years later, pastor started another Nazarene church in another town, only about 30 miles from my town, so we started going to this new church in the other town. the town sits between two cities where he used to pastor churches, and many people now come from both those cities to this little 100-person town to attend church under our old pastor. God bless him.

our little congregation grew quite quickly, and beings as most of our members tithe, the $$ was flowing, and we needed a larger building, so wanted to add on... but CoN council or whoever... sorry i'm not up on all the details, would not let us use the $$ to add on... so we took a church vote, and decided to become a nondenominational church... 100% vote in that direction, so now we are 'nondenominational' but i do love the Church of the Nazarene, and my 'icon' still says Nazarene. but really, i'm not any label, just a child of the King :)

Did you have to give the building back to the district?

Upvote 0

suzeequeue

redeemed by the blood of the Lamb
Oct 5, 2006
U.S. Midwest
✟15,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
no. we are, and have been since day one, located in an old 'community center.' but you've posed an interesting question, as to why the CoN would not have owned it. how odd. i never even thought of that. perhaps our pastor and his wife bought that building before they started our church? i've no idea, actually...

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A chari-bapti-Nazarene? Cool.

Huge differences in theology there bro.

I started out CoN, but we got kicked out when my mom went pentecostal. (Assy of God) So I was that until college when I joined a nondenom charismatic church. (but still with Wesleyan roots)

Now I am am a charismatic Messianic. I find Wesleyan/CoN doctrine to be compatible in many areas with Messianic and Jewish theology. In fact one of our elders still has close ties to his own CoN upbringing.

Upvote 0

ServantJohn

Not quite a newbie...
Nov 9, 2010
✟12,108.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I started out CoN, but we got kicked out when my mom went pentecostal. (Assy of God) So I was that until college when I joined a nondenom charismatic church. (but still with Wesleyan roots)

Now I am a charismatic Messianic. I find Wesleyan/CoN doctrine to be compatible in many areas with Messianic and Jewish theology. In fact one of our elders still has close ties to his own CoN upbringing.

Charibaptirene... that works. Yea, I know the theological differences, but the same Jesus. I'm surprised you guys were kicked out, unless she was operating in the gifts during service. I went to a Nazarene church where half of the congregation were charismatic. The youth pastor of the Baptist church I am at got his training through the AoG. The elder teaching the Wednesday night service at this Baptist church is charismatic. He started speaking in tongues during his normal prayer time without even knowing it. His wife told him.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm surprised you guys were kicked out
It was 1963. Every other sermon (after the pastor found out mom and 2 other women went to a pentecostal prayer meeting and spoke in tongues) was how tounges were "of the devil." After she would not take the "hint," we were told to either renounce pentecostalism and vow to never speak in tongues again or leave. We left. I know one woman stayed. I do not know about the 3rd woman.

I know that the culture of the denomination has changed a lot since then.

Back then a lot of the A/G pastors were Nazarenes and Wesleyans who became pentecostals and got the left foot of fellowship.

Upvote 0

ServantJohn

Not quite a newbie...
Nov 9, 2010
✟12,108.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It was 1963. Every other sermon (after the pastor found out mom and 2 other women went to a pentecostal prayer meeting and spoke in tongues) was how tounges were "of the devil." After she would not take the "hint," we were told to either renounce pentecostalism and vow to never speak in tongues again or leave. We left. I know one woman stayed. I do not know about the 3rd woman.

I know that the culture of the denomination has changed a lot since then.

Back then a lot of the A/G pastors were Nazarenes and Wesleyans who became pentecostals and got the left foot of fellowship.

Oh OK. I didn't know that used to be the position of the Nazarene church. I checked out a oneness pentecostal church during a short period to see what they were about. After the preacher found out that I was a trinitarian, that's all he preached about every time I went.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,340.00
Faith
Baptist

Now I am am a charismatic Messianic. I find Wesleyan/CoN doctrine to be compatible in many areas with Messianic and Jewish theology. In fact one of our elders still has close ties to his own CoN upbringing.
I am a member of a CoN congregation, but I have roots and sympathies with the Assemblies of God. I am also an ordained Baptist minister. I have also served as the senior pastor of an interdenominational church with associate and assistant pastors who were Baptists or of the Assemblies of God or the Christian Missionary Alliance. One of our Bible teachers graduated from a CoN college and was ordained by the CoN while serving with me. He prayed in tongues every day, and was thankful that the CoN was unaware of that practice. For more than 20 years, I have been a Wesleyan Baptist.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I grew up Southern Baptist and then moved on to other types of Baptist churches after reaching adulthood. In my late 20's and early 30's I flopped back and forth between non-denominational and Disciples of Christ. I am facinated by Mennonite teachings, but don't want to live such a restricted lifestyle in areas that don't matter morally. Now I have found myself very drawn to a First Church of the Nazarene. I feel very much at peace there, eventhough I don't know a whole lot about the denomination or the history of Nazarenes.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
I grew up Southern Baptist and then moved on to other types of Baptist churches after reaching adulthood. In my late 20's and early 30's I flopped back and forth between non-denominational and Disciples of Christ. I am facinated by Mennonite teachings, but don't want to live such a restricted lifestyle in areas that don't matter morally. Now I have found myself very drawn to a First Church of the Nazarene. I feel very much at peace there, eventhough I don't know a whole lot about the denomination or the history of Nazarenes.
Welcome to the family :)

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,340.00
Faith
Baptist
You may enjoy reading Called Unto Holiness by Timothy L. Smith, a history of the Church of the Nazarene.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: PrincetonGuy
Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,340.00
Faith
Baptist
Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
I'm Catholic, but I study theology through the Nazarene Theological College, and I'm a big fan of John Wesley. So don't hold it against me.
No reason to hold your Catholicity against you. Wesley was a believer in having a "catholic" spirit.

Upvote 0