Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That door swings both ways. The people that hate religion do not know much about it.
Yep. People who know science and Christianity are well aware that there is no conflict between the two.

Upvote 0

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"The natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God. For they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:14

"Natural Selection" is supposedly the mechanism for evolution. There is no reason to believe this, but science has never needed a reason to reject God, His word and His ways. I've mocked evolution in the past by talking about the Evolution Fairy sprinkling evo dust around to produce new life forms. It's about as sensible as any other godless theory.

The linked article is a breathtaking expose of how evolutionists bald faced contradict themselves with the principle of natural selection. I won't go into details. The article speaks for itself.

'The Origin of Species -
by Means of Natural Selection'

It's always been an odd contradiction in terms; you cannot select what has not yet been originated.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Natural Selection" is supposedly the mechanism for evolution.
It's an agency of evolution. Not the only one, of course. Natural selection is what makes evolution move in a specific direction. And it's been repeatedly observed to do so.

Would you like some more examples?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
'The Origin of Species -

It's always been an odd contradiction in terms; you cannot select what has not yet been originated.
I don't think you understand what it means. Let's say there's a population of insects, which are being killed by an insecticide. A mutation that provides some immunity to the insecticide occurs. Succeeding generations will see the immune individuals selected to survive and reproduce. And the population will change over time as a result. That's what natural selection is.

I think you're assuming that the theory says that mutations appear according to need. It's been established (the investigators got a Nobel for their work) that useful mutations appear randomly, not in response to need.

Upvote 0

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you understand what it means. Let's say there's a population of insects, which are being killed by an insecticide. A mutation that provides some immunity to the insecticide occurs. Succeeding generations will see the immune individuals selected to survive and reproduce. And the population will change over time as a result. That's what natural selection is.
Exactly, so the origin of the change, the immunity, was a mutation, not natural selection, right?

I think you're assuming that the theory says that mutations appear according to need. It's been established (the investigators got a Nobel for their work) that useful mutations appear randomly, not in response to need.

Right, again the change is coming from a random mutation, not non-random natural selection.

i.e. correctly put, the Title would read 'Origin of Species by Means of Random Chance'

Apparently his editor didn't like that version though..

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Exactly, so the origin of the change, the immunity, was a mutation, not natural selection, right?
More precisely, the mutation is the change.

Right, again the change is coming from a random mutation, not non-random natural selection.
The mutation appeared randomly. The change in the population, however, is not random. Random mutations plus natural selection is a non-random process. I don't see how that's hard to understand but if you like, we can look at some other examples to see why that is so.

i.e. correctly put, the Title would read 'Origin of Species by Means of Random Chance'
Nope. You just learned (or possibly you still don't get it) is that natural selection is the antithesis of randomness. Let's look at something without the emotional content. Roll a six-sided die 1000 times and record results. You'll almost certainly get something that looks completely random. Now, let's add natural selection and do it again. This time, each time the result is less than 4, roll again, and use that number instead. When you're done, you will find that the result is not random. How can that be? Think about it.

Upvote 0

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
natural selection is the antithesis of randomness.
no argument there.

a selection process is a filtering process, you start with a larger amount of diversity and end with less, as we can see in your die example

i.e. the antithesis of the Darwinian tree of life. to originate new diversity you need a creative process rather than a filtering one
given entirely to random chance according to ToE.

Again you can select exactly nothing into existence, that does not already exist for you to select. No way around this.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
a selection process is a filtering process, you start with a larger amount of diversity and end with less, as we can see in your die example
Hence the need for mutations to provide new information. This is why random mutation and natural selection are necessary for the diversity of life we see. God knew best, after all.
to originate new diversity you need
Mutations. Every new mutation in a population adds to the information in that population. Would you like to see the number for a relatively simple case?

a creative process rather than a filtering one
Which is what mutation and natural selection will do. Would you like to try a simple simulation that would do this?
given entirely to random chance according to ToE.
As you now see, Darwinian evolution is the opposite of randomness.

Upvote 0

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hence the need for mutations to provide new information
Bingo.

That's all I'm saying; Darwinism relies 100% on a pure blind random chance process to provide new information, new biological form, change, i.e. any actual 'evolution' by definition.

Natural selection does not do this. it only provides a filtering and distribution system for what has already evolved- and does so equally for Lamarckism, intelligent design or creationism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's all I'm saying; Darwinism relies 100% on a pure blind random chance process to provide new information, new biological form, change, i.e. any actual 'evolution' by definition.
Now you're getting it. Novelty is provided by mutation. This is why (for example) that while it would be useful for humans to have a second pair of hands, it's not going to happen because the lack of useful intermediate steps prevents it. It would be great if we could have mechanically efficient lower back. But it's not going to happen for the same reason. In fact, immunity to cancer would be great, but the mutation(s) necessary haven't yet happened.

Natural selection does not do this.
Right. It only takes novel information and sorts it out. The stuff that's useful tends to be preserved and the stuff that's harmful tends to be removed. Not surprisingly, this is exactly what we see happening in nature.

it only provides a filtering and distribution system for what has already evolved
No,that's wrong. Evolution doesn't happen to individuals. It happens to populations. So the mutation is evolution only when in becomes part of the population.

and does so equally for Lamarckism, intelligent design or creationism.
No. Some forms of ID would recognize the way Darwinian evolution works, but neither Lamarckism nor creationism do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now you're getting it. Novelty is provided by mutation. This is why (for example) that while it would be useful for humans to have a second pair of hands, it's not going to happen because the lack of useful intermediate steps prevents it. It would be great if we could have mechanically efficient lower back. But it's not going to happen for the same reason. In fact, immunity to cancer would be great, but the mutation(s) necessary haven't yet happened.

Right. It only takes novel information and sorts it out. The stuff that's useful tends to be preserved and the stuff that's harmful tends to be removed. Not surprisingly, this is exactly what we see happening in nature.

No,that's wrong. Evolution doesn't happen to individuals. It happens to populations. So the mutation is evolution only when in becomes part of the population.

No. Some forms of ID would recognize the way Darwinian evolution works, but neither Lamarckism nor creationism do.
Well I think we have established something we can agree on; the origin of new genetic information (mutation) required for evolution to take place is random according to Darwinism.

Therein lies the problem,

"immunity to cancer would be great, but the mutation(s) necessary haven't yet happened."

because random mutations are what causes cancer, they are what inherently destroys functional genetic information, not what produces new functional information

"Novelty is provided by mutation."

and evolution IS novelty, filtering out certain existing biological forms is not introducing novelty, quite the opposite.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well I think we have established something we can agree on; the origin of new genetic information (mutation) required for evolution to take place is random according to Darwinism.
That's been known since genes were discovered. Luria and Delbruck got their Nobels for documenting this.
Therein lies the problem,

"immunity to cancer would be great, but the mutation(s) necessary haven't yet happened."

because random mutations are what causes cancer, they are what inherently destroys functional genetic information, not what produces new functional information
Several errors there. First, some mutations do protect against cancer, we just haven't seen one that offers complete immunity:

Millions of humans carry a genetic mutation that could cause cells to explode

Millions of cells in our bodies undergo programmed death, a crucial process that protects us from diseases by eliminating unwanted, damaged, or dangerous cells and preventing the spread of viruses, bacteria, and even cancer.

Second, every mutation in a population increases information. Again, if you'd like to see the numbers for a simple case, I can show you.

"Novelty is provided by mutation."

and evolution IS novelty, filtering out certain existing biological forms is not introducing novelty, quite the opposite.
I see a hidden false assumption here. Evolution is not always an increase in information. It is merely a change in allele frequencies in a population. It could reduce information, such as we see in the simplification of mammalian skeletons from reptilian ones or the removal of vitamin C genes as we see in primates.

So a population evolves by filtering out. It may be a matter of replacing existing alleles with new mutations or it could be merely simplifying.

The latter is an important part of new species. Most speciation is allopatric, from small, isolated groups that are ("founder effect") different than the larger populations. This is seen in the evolution of Darwin's finches, dipterans in Hawaii, and many other cases.

Of course, mutation continues in such separated populations, and the new genetic information is often a factor in the speciation of these groups. Would you like some examples?

Upvote 0

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's been known since genes were discovered. Luria and Delbruck got their Nobels for documenting this.

Several errors there. First, some mutations do protect against cancer, we just haven't seen one that offers complete immunity:

Millions of humans carry a genetic mutation that could cause cells to explode

Millions of cells in our bodies undergo programmed death, a crucial process that protects us from diseases by eliminating unwanted, damaged, or dangerous cells and preventing the spread of viruses, bacteria, and even cancer.

Second, every mutation in a population increases information. Again, if you'd like to see the numbers for a simple case, I can show you.

I see a hidden false assumption here. Evolution is not always an increase in information. It is merely a change in allele frequencies in a population. It could reduce information, such as we see in the simplification of mammalian skeletons from reptilian ones or the removal of vitamin C genes as we see in primates.

So a population evolves by filtering out. It may be a matter of replacing existing alleles with new mutations or it could be merely simplifying.

The latter is an important part of new species. Most speciation is allopatric, from small, isolated groups that are ("founder effect") different than the larger populations. This is seen in the evolution of Darwin's finches, dipterans in Hawaii, and many other cases.

Of course, mutation continues in such separated populations, and the new genetic information is often a factor in the speciation of these groups. Would you like some examples?
Understood; observed 'macro-evolution' or 'variation' is either a mix and match of already existing genes... or the destruction of existing genes.

Which is exactly what you would expect from random mutation and natural selection, no constructive new biological forms, i.e. no evolution in the macro sense.

You can't get from a single celled bacteria to a human being by merely maintaining or destroying genetic information already existing in the bacteria population, you need to see the exact opposite occurring, vast quantities of new functional genetic information, appearing suddenly in explosive periods like the Cambrian, there is no observed natural phenomena which can account for this.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'The Origin of Species -

It's not a contradiction in terms. Mutation represents the origin of heritable variation in the population, while Darwin was talking about the origin of species, not the origin of variation. His hypothesis was that species change and become new species because of selection acting on heritable variation. We now understand that that is indeed one mechanism for the origin of species, but that mutations (which Darwin of course didn't know anything about) can generate new species even in the absence of selection, through the accumulation of multiple neutral mutations or even through a single mutational event (as in polyploidization in plants).

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, that's almost backwards. By definition, actual 'evolution' is the change in the frequency of genetic variants in a population. One contribution to that comes from new mutation, but even in the absence of any new mutations lots of evolution -- lots of change to the population -- can occur through changes in variant frequencies.
Mutations destroy functional information and create new functional information. Any mutation in one direction can equally occur in the opposite direction. The combination of random variation and natural selection is a powerful way of incorporating information about the organism's environment and about what combinations of genes work best into the organism's DNA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'evolution' is the change in the frequency of genetic variants in a population.

pre-existing variants... By that definition my child's unique combination of genes demonstrates evolution.

You can make a semantic case for that of course, but if you are trying to explain a bacteria evolving into a human being, it's clearly an inadequate definition.

The problem remains, you can't select new genetic information which does not exist. it has to be originated. mixing and matching existing genes doesn't do that.

Mutations destroy functional information and create new functional information.
Only the latter is exponentially less probable than the former- the mutations we can actually observe overwhelmingly destroy functional information rather than create it.

Any mutation in one direction can equally occur in the opposite direction.

That is correct, but while one mutation in any direction can entirely destroy the function of a protein, it takes many mutations all in the correct direction to build a new functional one. That is why we can observe the former in adaptation/ micro-evolution, not the latter.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Understood; observed 'macro-evolution' or 'variation' is either a mix and match of already existing genes... or the destruction of existing genes.
Or freguently by the addition of new genes which come about by mutation. Interestingly, it's now been shown that new genes often come from mutation of non-coding DNA:
A new study from researchers at the University of California, Davis, published Jan. 23 in Science Express, shows that new genes are created from non-coding DNA more rapidly than expected.

"This shows very clearly that genes are being born from ancestral sequences all the time," said David Begun, professor of evolution and ecology at UC Davis and senior author on the paper.

pre-existing variants... By that definition my child's unique combination of genes demonstrates evolution.
No. Individuals don't evolve. Populations do. But most new organisms will very slightly change the allele frequencies in a population. Since you child would almost certainly have dozens of mutations (all humans do) it would have some effect.
You can make a semantic case for that of course, but if you are trying to explain a bacteria evolving into a human being, it's clearly an inadequate definition.
That would be pretty tough to imagine. Humans evolved from other primates. Turns out the evolution of eukaryotes from prokaryotes was pretty difficult. For most of life's history on Earth there were no eukaryotes. Would you like to see how that finally happened? It's pretty interesting.

The problem remains, you can't select new genetic information which does not exist.
Hence the need for new genes, which appear by various mutations such as from non-coding DNA, or gene duplication and mutation. God thought of everything.

Only the latter is exponentially less probable than the former- the mutations we can actually observe overwhelmingly destroy functional information rather than create it.
First most mutations don't destroy "functional information". They add information to a population genome, but most of them are effectively neutral, keeping the function of the mutated gene. A few are harmful, and tend to be removed by natural selection and a very fuew are useful and tend to increase in the population by natural selection.

while one mutation in any direction can entirely destroy the function of a protein, it takes many mutations all in the correct direction to build a new functional one.
No, that's wrong one mutation in a gene can change it to a new useful function. See the link above. However, such evolution by sequential steps has been observed to happen. Would you like to see about that?

That is why we can observe the former in adaptation/ micro-evolution, not the latter.
Actually speciation has been directly observed, so there's really no point in denying the fact. Micro-evolution (evolution not producing new species) is more common, but macro-evolution is a fact.

Upvote 0

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
. For most of life's history on Earth there were no eukaryotes. Would you like to see how that finally happened? It's pretty interesting.
It certainly is.

It was finally conceded that Darwinian evolution could not account for this biological novelty. No amount of random mutation and natural selection could bridge that gap.

That list of gaps is ever expanding, but certainly the previously held belief that Darwinian evolution could explain simplest life to man- macro-evolution, has already been accepted as false.

The question today is just how far short Darwinism falls from accounting for all biological diversity.

Micro-evolution is the only empirically observable Darwinian capability- a recombination, or degradation of (mutation) of pre-existing genetic information.

'speciation' is a subjective term. Speciation has been claimed from merely observing that other individuals didn't seem to want to mate with an individual with certain traits. By which definition I spent some time in college as an entirely new species :)

The far more objective measure is examining the functional information in genetic sequences, e.g. can new proteins be introduced as required for macro-evolution? or are existing proteins merely degraded by mutation.

As concluded by members of a meeting at the Royal Society in London a few years ago, Darwinism still lacks a theory of the generative.
In other words, the same inescapable principle we began this thread with; you cannot naturally select something into existence. Origin [of species] by means of selection, remains a contradiction in terms.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It was finally conceded that Darwinian evolution could not account for this biological novelty. No amount of random mutation and natural selection could bridge that gap.
No, that's wrong, too. The evolution of eukaryotes involves endosybiosis, the inclusion of cells into other cells as functional endosymbionts mutually dependent on each other. All of our cells are like that. Creationists insist that this could not have happened but such an endosymbiosis has been directly observed to happen. Would you like to see about that?
That list of gaps is ever expanding
In fact, creationists insist that every time we find a new transitional form, two new gaps are created. No one takes that seriously, not even the creationists. As your fellow YE creationist, Dr. Kurt Wise admits, the large number of transitional series is "very good evidence for macroevolutionary theory." But let's test your beliefs here; name me any two major groups, said to be evolutionarily connected, and I'll see if there's a transitional form. You're on.

but certainly the previously held belief that Darwinian evolution could explain simplest life to man- macro-evolution, has already been accepted as false.
In fact, Darwin didn't make that claim. He thought that perhaps a number of individual organisms were separately connected. But with the advent of genetics, we learned that all living things on Earth are from a common ancestor. You're doubly wrong here.

The question today is just how far short Darwinism falls from accounting for all biological diversity.
Technically,it's genetics that demonstrates common descent of all living things. Darwinism merely shows the mechanism for that evolution. Would you like to see how that works?

Micro-evolution is the only empirically observable Darwinian capability
No, that's wrong, too. Even many creationist organizations now admit that fact of speciation. Most now admit that new genera and often new families arise from older taxa.Speciation has been claimed from merely observing that other individuals didn't seem to want to mate with an individual with certain traits.
'speciation' is a subjective term.
It's one of the most devastating problems for creationism. Darwin pointed out that if evolution was a fact, then we would see many cases of transitional forms making it hard to precisely define species. If creationism were true, this would not be so. Creationists have no explanation for this, other than to concede a certain amount of evolution. But that's a bigger problem for them, since they can't show any sort of barrier to increasing changes over time.

The far more objective measure is examining the functional information in genetic sequences, e.g. can new proteins be introduced as required for macro-evolution?
That's been directly observed. As Darwin pointed out, they arise from modification of existing proteins. One of the more interesting ones is the nylon bug:
In 1975, a team of Japanese scientists discovered a strain of bacterium, living in ponds containing waste water from a nylon factory, that could digest certain byproducts of nylon 6 manufacture, such as the linear dimer of 6-aminohexanoate. These substances are not known to have existed before the invention of nylon in 1935. It was initially named as Achromobacter guttatus.[4]

Studies in 1977 revealed that the three enzymes that the bacteria were using to digest the byproducts were significantly different from any other enzymes produced by any other bacteria, and not effective on any material other than the manmade nylon byproducts.[5]

The bacterium was reassigned to Flavobacterium in 1980.[6] Its genome was resolved in 2017, again reassigning it to Arthrobacter.[1] The Genome Taxonomy Database considers it a strain of Paenarthrobacter ureafaciens following a 2016 reclassification.[7] As of January 2021, the NCBI taxonomy browser has been updated to match GTDB.

Initially, it was supposed that a frame-shift mutation was the source of this new information, but more recently, it appears that a series of point mutations are responsible.

As plastic starts to increase in the natural environment, other bacteria are evolving the ability to degrade other plastics as well:

Microbes in oceans and soils across the globe are evolving to eat plastic, according to a study.

The research scanned more than 200m genes found in DNA samples taken from the environment and found 30,000 different enzymes that could degrade 10 different types of plastic.

God knew what He was doing. Evolution is a lot more competent than even biologists had expected.

Upvote 0