Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This reminds me of things I have forgotten about the RCC. They are definately disturbing. I'd be interested in hearing from an expert on RCC doctrine on whether RCC teaches 1) going to hell before going to confession, and 2) working to be good enough to go to heaven. I think the middle one (leaving the RCC leads to hell) has been confirmed in previous CF discussions.

I left my association with Rome.

I am NOT going to hell.

They can go pound sand!

• Winner
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
LOL, I thought before now that EO and RCC were boosum buddies.

You most assuredly are wrong. We are not enemies, but we are not boooosum buds either. Rome MUST repent of her theological inventions and come back to the unity the Church had before 1054 AD.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We have been separate since 1054 AD.

Yes, just for the record, it was ROME that schismated. They need to drop all the theological novums they came up with and return to the unity of the Church.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not Catholic but she is. In the beginning I went to my church & went with her to Mass. She convinced me to read a book about converting which I did & I converted a few years later. I lasted 5 years & left. The church I grew up in boycotts Israel so I couldn't go back. I found a Calvary Chapel church 5 years ago & I've been going ever since. Love it. I've managed to take my wife 3 times but she's done. She was raised on rituals, traditions, structure, works, rules, etc. I'm speaking of her Catholic church not the Catholic Church as a whole. We go our own ways Sunday & Wednesday. Anyone else doing this? Some were surprised that my wife isn't with me at church.
you should do what you know is right. If you are convicted you should go to calvary chappel don't let people tell you to go to mass just cause they're catholic, it be like if i said "just go to calvary chappel only" because i'm protestant. you have to pray and do what Jesus is convicting you to do, that's between you and God

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you should do what you know is right. If you are convicted you should go to calvary chappel don't let people tell you to go to mass just cause they're catholic, it be like if i said "just go to calvary chappel only" because i'm protestant. you have to pray and do what Jesus is convicting you to do, that's between you and God

Except Jesus never told us that we should do what we think is right. And I would distrust any feelings that tell me what to do and defer instead to the Church which Jesus left on earth. That should be the first stop for anyone who is a Christian. Find that Church, love that Church, obey that Church. What I want, what I feel, what I think, is secondary to what Christ left with the Church.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Except Jesus never told us that we should do what we think is right. And I would distrust any feelings that tell me what to do and defer instead to the Church which Jesus left on earth. That should be the first stop for anyone who is a Christian. Find that Church, love that Church, obey that Church. What I want, what I feel, what I think, is secondary to what Christ left with the Church.
key word "know". I never said feel anywhere.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
key word "know". I never said feel anywhere.

Except that for many, many Christians, they swear that Jesus done told them something, but when you compare it with the Scriptures, it doesn't wash. How would you know that your "knowledge" isn't either feelings or prejudicial thinking?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Except that for many, many Christians, they swear that Jesus done told them something, but when you compare it with the Scriptures, it doesn't wash. How would you know that your "knowledge" isn't either feelings or prejudicial thinking?
Honestly dude I think you took one word from my post and assumed I'm out here telling people to just follow their feelings when in fact I'm just telling people to stick with their Holy Spirit convictions.

Please don't assume so much

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Honestly dude I think you took one word from my post and assumed I'm out here telling people to just follow their feelings when in fact I'm just telling people to stick with their Holy Spirit convictions.

Please don't assume so much
My friend, you are missing the point I am trying to get across. But perhaps it is me and my inability to speak well.

You have hundreds of different denominations, all of whom disagree to some degree with each other. Yet you will have these same people saying that the Holy Spirit is leading them, or that God "spoke to my heart" to believe a certain way or to do a certain thing.

Is the Holy Spirit that divided, or could it be that what we think is the "leading of the Holy Spirit" has more to do with our prejudices and expectations than God actually having a word about this?

Do you see the problem? How do you know for sure that it is God speaking to you and not either your desires, your feelings, your theological prejudices, or possibly even a wicked spirit? Remember, St. Paul warned that the devil himself can appear as an angel of light.

Tell me how, in the midst of such confusion, you are sure that your theological, moral, and ecclesiastical choices are being dictated to you by God?

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
My friend, you are missing the point I am trying to get across. But perhaps it is me and my inability to speak well.

You have hundreds of different denominations, all of whom disagree to some degree with each other. Yet you will have these same people saying that the Holy Spirit is leading them, or that God "spoke to my heart" to believe a certain way or to do a certain thing.

Is the Holy Spirit that divided, or could it be that what we think is the "leading of the Holy Spirit" has more to do with our prejudices and expectations than God actually having a word about this?

Do you see the problem? How do you know for sure that it is God speaking to you and not either your desires, your feelings, your theological prejudices, or possibly even a wicked spirit? Remember, St. Paul warned that the devil himself can appear as an angel of light.

Tell me how, in the midst of such confusion, you are sure that your theological, moral, and ecclesiastical choices are being dictated to you by God?
It is not that The Holy Spirit is "that divided" as a Kingdom divided against itself cannot stand.

Rather JESUS treats all of His children as the body of Christ despite us being divided. it is true that sometimes we can be misled, but it is better to still strive to be led by The Holy Spirit. To just cast aside the possibility that we can still be led by The Holy Spirit instead of believing that God still is greater and can work amongst His children, I think that is a mistake.

God knows if or when we get misled, would you give up so easily on other things in life for the possibility that you could be wrong?

Imagine not driving for the possibility that something could happen, or not going to class for the possibility that you would fail, or not getting married for the possibility that you might get divorced? Paul says "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

Amidst a world of negativity it is better to think on good things rather than worry we could be wrong about every little thing.

We're all trying, and unless we're actually JESUS we're going to sometimes be mistaken, but my advice to pray about something and ask to be led in the right direction, i honestly see nothing wrong with this.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not Catholic but she is. In the beginning I went to my church & went with her to Mass. She convinced me to read a book about converting which I did & I converted a few years later. I lasted 5 years & left. The church I grew up in boycotts Israel so I couldn't go back. I found a Calvary Chapel church 5 years ago & I've been going ever since. Love it. I've managed to take my wife 3 times but she's done. She was raised on rituals, traditions, structure, works, rules, etc. I'm speaking of her Catholic church not the Catholic Church as a whole. We go our own ways Sunday & Wednesday. Anyone else doing this? Some were surprised that my wife isn't with me at church.
We're the opposite - I'm Catholic and she's Baptist. When we married we were both Protestant (I was Presbyterian) but I moved to the Catholic Church about five years later.

I think the Catholic Church is "closest" to the truth but I'm not going to get into that argument here. In a nutshell though that's what I think it boils down to.

We accept each other's faiths, and my wife is an associate member of the Saint Vincent de Paul Society (which is essentially Catholic although non-Catholics can join provided they respect the underlying Catholicity).

She's probably done a few hundred visits with me over the years, and she knows the other Vinnies members, but rarely goes to a mass with me. If she does it's because it's fitting in with something else we might be doing.

I've been to her church more often but I don't go regularly.

We are both regular church goers in our own denominations and I don't see that changing. So for the time being it's the same old, same old.

Upvote 0