Visit site
✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Original sin is the idea that every human being that is born inherits a state of sinfulness from Adam and Eve. The term is not written in the Bible. When it comes to doctrines, I prefer to stick closely to the wording of the Scripture.

Romans 3:

23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus
We are all guilty of sin, original or not, and we all need the blood of Christ to redeem us.

Did Jesus inherit the original sin?

I don't think so. The doctrine of the original sin is not a valid one. No human inherits the original sin. But we all sin except Jesus.

Regarding babies in the womb, Romans 8:

10b when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, 11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad
Why do babies die?

We all die, 1 Corinthians 15:

22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.
We all die because of the consequence of the first sin. Even Jesus died. Adam and Eve fell and brought the first sin into the world. As a consequence, everyone is subject to death. Babies are born into a sinful world. They could physically die at birth, but they are not automatically condemned to eternal death because of Adam's or Eve's sin. They do not die for the first sin itself. They die because of the consequence of being existing in a sinful world.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Eve decided to put her will ahead of the will of God and Adam decided to let her. This was original sin, putting our will ahead of the will of God. And yes we've done it ever since. We were told to repent of this notion and even though we may stumble, our allegiance is to be to the will of God, not our own, hopefully having learned through life outside the Garden the consequences of our selfish nature. One only need turn on the news to see these consequences.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Original sin is the idea that every human being that is born inherits a state of sinfulness from Adam and Eve. The term is not written in the Bible. When it comes to doctrines, I prefer to stick closely to the wording of the Scripture.

We all die because of the consequence of the first sin. Even Jesus died. Adam and Eve fell and brought the first sin into the world. As a consequence, everyone is subject to death. Babies are born into a sinful world. They could physically die at birth, but they are not automatically condemned to eternal death because of Adam's or Eve's sin. They do not die for the first sin itself. They die because of the consequence of being existing in a sinful world.
That is the Eastern Orthodox view that death is the consequence of the first sin. :)

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Romans 3:

We are all guilty of sin, original or not, and we all need the blood of Christ to redeem us.

I don't think so. The doctrine of the original sin is not a valid one. No human inherits the original sin. But we all sin except Jesus.

Why do babies die?

To make sure I'm understanding you, are you implying that natural man is not sinful? Man is born like Adam was before his disobedience, innocent and uncondemned?

I expect also that you deny imputed sin, correct?

• Informative
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To make sure I'm understanding you, are you implying that natural man is not sinful?

No. I believe that man is naturally sinful.
Man is born like Adam was before his disobedience, innocent and uncondemned?

No, not like Adam. Today, man is born in a naturally sinful world but we are not born automatically condemned.

I expect also that you deny imputed sin, correct?

Define *imputed sin*.

Thanks for the insightful questions.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
reference?
A Reference
"In the Eastern Christian understanding, it is explicitly denied that humanity inherited guilt or a fallen nature from anyone; rather, humanity inherits sin's consequences and a fallen environment: "while humanity does bear the consequences of the original, or first, sin, humanity does not bear the personal guilt associated with this sin. Adam and Eve are guilty of their willful action; we bear the consequences, chief of which is death.""

• Informative
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
No. I believe that man is naturally sinful.

No, not like Adam. Today, man is born in a naturally sinful world but we are not born automatically condemned.
If man is 'naturally sinful', how so, then?
Define *imputed sin*.
According to most Reformed/Calvinists, as I understand it, man is condemned because of inherited sinfulness (born already sinful and at enmity with God), and imputed sin (God has condemned the human race, and so every individual, as guilty of Adam's sin).

Original Sin can be thought of as the ruined character of each person, visible in all they do, and Imputed Sin can be thought of as the ruined standing before God of each person, quite apart from anything they themselves have done.

Thanks for the insightful questions.
Thanks for the many interesting threads.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If man is 'naturally sinful', how so, then?

From the selfish DNA :)

According to most Reformed/Calvinists, as I understand it, man is condemned because of inherited sinfulness (born already sinful and at enmity with God), and imputed sin (God has condemned the human race, and so every individual, as guilty of Adam's sin).

Right, I do not subscribe to imputed sin.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
From the selfish DNA :)

Right, I do not subscribe to imputed sin.
Haha! "Selfish DNA" ...You might be right there! Wonder if you mean the same sort of DNA that endows all creatures with self-interest, or if you intend something more sinister than mere survival and happiness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Haha! "Selfish DNA" ...You might be right there! Wonder if you mean the same sort of DNA that endows all creatures with self-interest, or if you intend something more sinister than mere survival and happiness.
Every newborn baby whether in a meeting with an accountant or a church service will cause the parents to go to extraordinary actions to give the baby what he wants. Maybe it is DNA.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟17,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Romans 3:

Why do babies die?

No human inherits the original sin. But we all sin except Jesus.

The question then would be WHY do we sin?

After Adam and Eve disobeyed God, their eyes were opened and they knew the difference between good and evil. Their nature and perspective had changed. Likewise, mankink knows the difference between good and evil. And ever since Adam, given a choice to do good or to do evil, man's will be bent to do evil.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Likewise, mankink knows the difference between good and evil. And ever since Adam, given a choice to do good or to do evil, man's will be bent to do evil.
Remember that the first thing Adam and Eve did after their choice, was to become self aware. That self awareness of course puts focus on self instead of others which in turn does the opposite of the second commandment to love all as self. We've been doing it ever since and that has led to every woe in earth. Jesus' two commandments covered everything that happened to the human race in the garden and gave the solution. His will be done in earth and love all as self. (tell that to the politically active and see the self-absorbed result)

Reactions: enoob57
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Both :)

Upvote 0

enoob57

Feb 16, 2022
Grove, Ok.
✟46,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
No human inherits the original sin. But we all sin except Jesus.

The question then would be WHY do we sin?

After Adam and Eve disobeyed God, their eyes were opened and they knew the difference between good and evil. Their nature and perspective had changed. Likewise, mankink knows the difference between good and evil. And ever since Adam, given a choice to do good or to do evil, man's will be bent to do evil.
When we, humankind, began it was the breath of God in intent to be of His image... when sin was enacted that Spiritual essence/connection to God died as separating us from God. Now offspring are born in this condition and the only input they are able to receive is that of sensual flesh/body, the five senses... unfortunately this sensual nature is tied to the world we gave over to Satan and this influence is of such all will yield to it's alure and sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 5:14 KJV
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

• Useful
Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟17,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Romans 3:

Why do babies die?

I would agree with you on the concept of original sin and your conclusion. Instead of sin being inherit, I see it more as a way we are. Adam, being perfect, sinned simply by Eve waving a piece of fruit in front of him. It is simply our nature to be rebellious (evil) towards God.

But I would disagree on your statement; "Even Jesus died." implying that he faced the consequences of sin just like everyone else. Jesus gave up his life, it was not taken from Him as so many verses in scripture points out. The reason He willfully died was so that we might live.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I would agree with you on the concept of original sin and your conclusion. Instead of sin being inherit, I see it more as a way we are. Adam, being perfect, sinned simply by Eve waving a piece of fruit in front of him. It is simply our nature to be rebellious (evil) towards God.
"Studies show that if a man is offered fruit by a beautiful naked woman, he will accept it 100% of the time."

Upvote 0