VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If it's so pointless, why do scientific methodists ask for evidence for the creation of the earth?

The earth was created ex nihilo; no evidence was generated to leave behind for study.

It's a truth that has to be taken by faith, and science can take a hike.

No, its an empty assertion without facts to back it up. Science deals with physical reality, not magic. As soon as you put magic in a discussion rationalty takes a back seat and everything is possible and therefore nothing is assured.

Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh---bummer---Excuse me--I misread this-----I thought you were talking about new ways to use apples!!---I missed lunch!
A real apple is the premise of my original challenge.

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Fair enough.

Are you also safely discarding the last five words of my challenge?
well, of Course not. It can't be explained because your challenge is a foray into 'not' reality, whether it be hallucination, a vivid dream, hypnosis, an elaborate hoax, or some other deception of reality - I think a few of us have answered something to this effect already. :)

Reactions: VirOptimus
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
well, of Course not. It can't be explained because your challenge is a foray into 'not' reality, whether it be hallucination, a vivid dream, hypnosis, an elaborate hoax, or some other deception of reality - I think a few of us have answered something to this effect already. :)
And which term puts it into that category you describe: "God" or "ex nihilo."

Or both?

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Or both?

I cant answer for him of course, but they are both just metaphysics and therefore the same as magic when discussing physical reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Or both?
Well, Both. As has been pointed out, I'd have a 'Brand Spankers' Ipad with a full-tilt warranty to boot. All the serial numbers check out as legit - but no evidence whatsoever that God was even there at all! I'm obviously off my carton by a tinnie or two, or Crazy. or Both. Given I have no evidence whatsoever that what happened, actually happened, I have to concede that I might've ingested too many magic mushrooms on this one, my friends are right to laugh at me.

It's important that my understanding of the Universe matches with reality. If an observation is made that isn't concordant with reality, then I have to investigate the reasons for the discrepancy. If it is verified my beliefs don't match with confirmed observations, then I have to discard that belief.

Easy. :)

EDIT: If God can hide every evidence that he exists, or that he has anything to do with reality, he only has himself to blame for giving our rational minds not only gross lack of evidence for his existence, but every evidence to the contrary.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I cant answer for him of course, but they are both just metaphysics and therefore the same as magic when discussing physical reality.
As long as you refer to it as "magic," I doubt you'll ever fully understand.

It's interesting that I'm using scientific terminology, only to see you guys pluto it, then claim it's "just metaphysics" or an "hallucination."

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As long as you refer to it as "magic," I doubt you'll ever fully understand.

It's interesting that I'm using scientific terminology, only to see you guys pluto it, then claim it's "just metaphysics" or an "hallucination."

You use no science, you dont even use proper theology!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... my friends are right to laugh at me.

People laughed at Jesus too and we're just as wrong.
Bugeyedcreepy said:
It's important that my understanding of the Universe matches with reality. If an observation is made that isn't concordant with reality, then I have to investigate the reasons for the discrepancy. If it is verified my beliefs don't match with confirmed observations, then I have to discard that belief.

Easy.
Would I be correct then, if I assumed you're still investigating how we got our moon?

Or are you satisfied with calling consensus of opinion "reality" in this case?
Bugeyedcreepy said:
EDIT: If God can hide every evidence that he exists, or that he has anything to do with reality, he only has himself to blame for giving our rational minds not only gross lack of evidence for his existence, but every evidence to the contrary.
We can't see gravity, yet we know it exists by observing its effects.

Are you turning your back on God because you can't see: time divided into BC/AD, Christian holidays, iconography, edifices, music, debates, and literature as evidence?

It sounds to me like you pick and choose what is real and what isn't.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You use no science, you dont even use proper theology!
From Wikipedia:

Ex nihilo is a Latin a phrase meaning "out of nothing. It often appears in conjunction with the concept of creation, as in creatio ex nihilo, meaning "creation out of nothing"—chiefly in philosophical or theological contexts, but also occurs in other fields.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
From Wikipedia:

Ex nihilo is a Latin a phrase meaning "out of nothing. It often appears in conjunction with the concept of creation, as in creatio ex nihilo, meaning "creation out of nothing"—chiefly in philosophical or theological contexts, but also occurs in other fields.

Belive me, I'm very aware of the terms you use. It does in no way change my view of your "arguments".

Its all variants on "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin". I.e. pointless and of no use either philosophicly or in theology.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Belive me, I'm very aware of the terms you use. It does in no way change my view of your "arguments".

Its all variants on "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin". I.e. pointless and of no use either philosophicly or in theology.
Fair enough.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Upvote 0