'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've addressed the meanderings before, but I'll do it again here.

Psalm 104:6 Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains.
Psalm 104:7 At thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away.
Psalm 104:8 They go up by the mountains; they go down by the valleys unto the place which thou hast founded for them.

When the Flood was over, and it was time for the waters to go away, God didn't just blow them off the Earth.

Instead, He ordered the waters to go to a "placed founded for them" (rendezvous point) by going "up by the mountains" and "down by the valleys."

In other words, they meandered their way to a rendezvous point and were siphoned off the Earth.

Notice the serpentine etchings?

The earth bears marks of Satan having been responsible for God sending the Flood.

Just a theory of mine.
It doesn't say anything about meandering.

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But the photograph does; and a picture is worth a thousand words.

QV Psalm 19
Literally no idea what your argument here is. it really looks like "doesn't make sense given the evidence, bible says nothing about it, but I like the idea so a miracle makes me right"

• Agree
Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
6093 feet up from the riverbed.

Standing up there at the top, looking over the edge, way down there at the Colorado River.

Wouldn't you expect it to be wider up there, than down at the bottom?

I certainly would.

It's basic physics.

I have wondered why canyons do have a large percentage of virtual walls if the lower layers would be much more compacted over time and resistant to erosion. Evidently my assumption about lower layers being "tougher" after millions of years of weight is wrong, as well as what people say about how diamonds are formed. I'd think the river would be running on a diamond surface. Or a notably harder surface anyway.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
But not narrower than the river itself ... correct?
The river width depends on how flat and hard the base layer for the river bed is as well as the flow volume, so it's quite possible for the river to be wider at the bottom than the canyon width at the top - although this is less likely because it would need the canyon walls to be soft layers sandwiched between very hard layers top and bottom, and the longer it takes for the canyon to be formed, the more likely it would be for weathering to widen the top layer.

But on the other hand, underground rivers can carve out huge caverns with no gap at the top at all...

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Grand Canyon is basically a giant sink hole with a river running through it. It's explained using "drip theory" which has to do with what's going on undernieth the Colorado Platue.

http://www.livescience.com/30378-grand-canyon-age-formation-colorado-plateau-uplift.html

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
View attachment 186468 View attachment 186467 The Grand Canyon is basically a giant sink hole with a river running through it. It's explained using "drip theory" which has to do with what's going on undernieth the Colorado Platue.

http://www.livescience.com/30378-grand-canyon-age-formation-colorado-plateau-uplift.html

It sounds like you are trying to claim that the Grand Canyon is an example of Karst Topgoraphy, and I would have to say that it clearly is not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kars

And I have never heard of "drip theory" nor can I find anything on it in the web.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Your articles seem to be an attempt to explain the uplift that formed the plateau. But it is a rather big error to call the Grand canyon itself a "giant sinkhole". The Canyon is an erosional structure. Formed by running water eroding the surface. The uplift appears to be the root cause of that erosion. But what happened deep inside the Earth is not what gave the canyon its ultimate form.

As I said the term "sinkhole" implied Karst topography, which is formed by the dissolving of limestone and dolomite below the surface. That was not what formed the Grand Canyon at all.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I can defeat the challenge, using the weapon that can defeat anything - Political Correctness.

Your challenge is species-ist and racist. It's oppressively human-centric because there are bats in the canyon. They're usually upside down so the canyon would be narrower at the top for them. And it's racist because, similarly...Australians.

• Haha
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I can defeat the challenge, using the weapon that can defeat anything - Political Correctness.

Your challenge is species-ist and racist. It's oppressively human-centric because there are bats in the canyon. They're usually upside down so the canyon would be narrower at the top for them. And it's racist because, similarly...Australians.
I think you're looking for the politics subforum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Your articles seem to be an attempt to explain the uplift that formed the plateau. But it is a rather big error to call the Grand canyon itself a "giant sinkhole". The Canyon is an erosional structure. Formed by running water eroding the surface. The uplift appears to be the root cause of that erosion. But what happened deep inside the Earth is not what gave the canyon its ultimate form.

As I said the term "sinkhole" implied Karst topography, which is formed by the dissolving of limestone and dolomite below the surface. That was not what formed the Grand Canyon at all.
I see your point, sink hole isn't the right term.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It would be distinguishable in form in that it wouldn't have all those meanders.

Try pulling apart a peice of clay to form something like this
meander-entrenched-13E8AA99E082F8C2D68.jpg
Nice!

I boated right through there on a little inflatable kayak.
A 5 day trip.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ya ... it's basic physics.

That's why I'm struggling with it.

Albeit, I know what I'm getting at ... you guys don't.

Not yet, anyway. ;)
If the Grand Canyon was formed when God pulled Eden (Pangaea) apart in Peleg's time, how would it be indistinguishable in form (wider at the top, narrower at the bottom) from what it looks like today?

It would be a single, straightish tear running the length of the entire continent (rather like ripping a sheet of paper in half), rather than the meandering mishmash of twists and turns occupying a single localised area (which it currently is).

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It would be a single, straightish tear running the length of the entire continent (rather like ripping a sheet of paper in half), rather than the meandering mishmash of twists and turns occupying a single localised area (which it currently is).
I disagree.

For the U.S. to be torn in half like a sheet of paper, it would have to have 1) already be the continent it is, 2) grasped on both ends and torn.

Kinda like taking New York and California by the hands and just pulling apart.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I disagree.

For the U.S. to be torn in half like a sheet of paper, it would have to have 1) already be the continent it is, 2) grasped on both ends and torn.

Kinda like taking New York and California by the hands and just pulling apart.

Right -- now take that thinking and apply it on a larger, not smaller, scale.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.