Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey y'all. I was curious, is there any particular book that might be a "must read" for anyone considering Anglicanism?

For example, it seems "the Orthodox Church" by Timothy/Kallistos Ware is the book that seems to get a lot if recommendation for those considering the EOC. I may read it soon, but I would love a good Anglican resource, too.

Any ideas?

G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Subscribing. I'd love to hear what people think. I've been wondering this myself. Basically the conclusion I've come to is that because Anglicanism is so broad, it's hard to have a statement of Anglican belief that goes beyond the history of common worship and of the whole communion. The closest I can come to are some works by Alister McGrath, but again, those tend to be either history or focused common Christian confessions even more broadly.

So with that said, Christopher Haigh's English Reformations: Religion, Politics, and Society under the Tudors is the new standard text on the early history of the Church of England (replacing A.G. Dickens).

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
graceandpeace said:
Hey y'all. I was curious, is there any particular book that might be a "must read" for anyone considering Anglicanism? For example, it seems "the Orthodox Church" by Timothy/Kallistos Ware is the book that seems to get a lot if recommendation for those considering the EOC. I may read it soon, but I would love a good Anglican resource, too. Any ideas?
I can't think of anything remotely equivalent to Timothy Ware

Upvote 0

Mockingbird0

Mimus polyglottos
Feb 28, 2012
Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa
✟17,994.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Hey y'all. I was curious, is there any particular book that might be a "must read" for anyone considering Anglicanism?

For example, it seems "the Orthodox Church" by Timothy/Kallistos Ware is the book that seems to get a lot if recommendation for those considering the EOC. I may read it soon, but I would love a good Anglican resource, too.

Any ideas?

Here are some books from the Episcopal Church's latest Teaching Series that you might find useful:

The Anglican Vision by James E. Griffiss.

Opening the Prayer Book by Jeffrey Lee. Except for its last chapter, which is lame.

A book in the series to avoid is Louis Weil's A Theology of Worship which is one of the worst books on the subject I have ever read. However, a book in the Church's previous Teaching Series, which Weil co-authored with Charles P. Price, is a good treatment of the same subject: Liturgy for Living.

Better than any book would be to experience Holy Week and Easter at a parish that conducts all the services of Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and the night-service or Great Vigil of Easter.

Attachments

• alban_psalter_min.jpg
    alban_psalter_min.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Do You think I should wait for Logos 6 instead? There's an Anglican base-package out, called Logos 5 Anglican Starter. Would You recommend it to me? As I have bases since before it would only add specifically Anglican books. I really don't need the New Testament commentary set (I don't even like the author) included in Starter. This upgrade right now would cost me almost $100, and I'm unsure I can afford it.

Upvote 0

CanadianAnglican

Evangelical charismatic Anglican Catholic
May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure if it qualifies as "must read" but "This Is Our Faith: A Guide to Life and Belief for Anglicans" by the Rev. Ian Stuchbery felt like a fairly decent introductory guide to the Anglican Church, though not so much Anglican theology. There was a lot of emphasis on the BCP and the historical origins of the church as well as certain aspects of broader theology/liturgy and sacraments. It's written by a Canadian but doesn't put itself particularly into a Canadian context.

Liturgy for Living was referenced before, but really the entire 1970s Church's Teaching Series is great.

It's a seven volume set:
1. Christian Believing
2. The Bible for Today's Church
3. The Church in History
4. Understanding the Faith of the Church
5. Liturgy for Living
6. The Christian Moral Vision
7. Living in the Spirit

The fact that it's from the 1970s also has the benefit of allowing it to focus on more universal values rather than being caught up in the various elephants currently in the room. The first book I mentioned was published in 1990 and then a second edition was published in 2010 but without significant revision for content such that it also manages to stay tightly focused on basic issues rather than becoming side-tracked on current day issues.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 27, 2010
Québec
✟7,758.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Bloc
1. The Book of Common Prayer (1662 edition) as well as the two previous editions.
Special attention to the 39 articles and the Catechism
(see Packer's the 39 Articles: Their place and use today; Bray's Exposition of the 39 articles)
2. MacCulloch's The Reformation and Thomas Cranmer
3. JRH Moorman's History of the Church in England
4. Stephen Neil's Anglicanism
5. Works of Richard Hooker
6. The Homilies (1-2 volumes; collection of sermons given to priests to read from at the time of the Reformation)
7. Paul Avis' Anglicanism and the Christian Church: Theological resources in Historical Perspective
8. Works of Thomas Cranmner
9. The Ecumenical Creeds (good introduction to them)
10. Works of JC Ryle, George Whitefield, John Wesley, Bernard of Clairveaux, The way of St. Benedict, St. Bernard, Rule of St. Augustine,
11. J. N. D. Kelly's Early Christian Doctrines and Creeds
12. The Mystical Works of Evelyn Underhill (11 vols.)
13. The Works of Nicholas Ridley
14. Works of William Tyndale

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Oh, and I'd also add MacCulloch's The Later Reformation in England: 1547-1603 and, for a very different perspective, Eamon Duffy's The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England: 1400-1580.

It seems to me, though, that a lot of the works on the theology of the Anglican tradition typically deal with divergent theologies, like Puritanism, rather than with any centering theologies. Obviously, there's a reason for that, but I still think Anglicanism has some form of traditional centering theology that is broadly Augustinian, while embracing insights from the Eastern fathers, Lutheranism, and the conservative side of the Reformed tradition including John Calvin and Martin Bucer. Or maybe I, like pretty much every other person who likes Anglicanism in one way or another, am imputing my own theological preferences onto it.

Upvote 0
A

alasthai

I still think Anglicanism has some form of traditional centering theology that is broadly Augustinian, while embracing insights from the Eastern fathers, Lutheranism, and the conservative side of the Reformed tradition including John Calvin and Martin Bucer. Or maybe I, like pretty much every other person who likes Anglicanism in one way or another, am imputing my own theological preferences onto it.
I think that you are imputing your own views/preferences, but still presenting a reasonably fair view of the more conservative side of Anglicanism, at least.

Upvote 0
A

alasthai

Any ideas?
For Orthodoxy, I would add the Philokalia, despite its length. For Anglicanism, I have yet to see anything which is broad enough to cover the full range.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Obviously, there's a reason for that, but I still think Anglicanism has some form of traditional centering theology that is broadly Augustinian, while embracing insights from the Eastern fathers, Lutheranism, and the conservative side of the Reformed tradition including John Calvin and Martin Bucer. Or maybe I, like pretty much every other person who likes Anglicanism in one way or another, am imputing my own theological preferences onto it.

I think that this is pretty accurate to an extent. The Church in England is unique and has a unique history that has been shaped and influenced by several different theologians and movements spanning the centuries. There has been a Church in England at least since the 3rd century, though some give it the "formal" date of the mission of St. Augustine of Canterbury. During that time it has been influenced by various people/movements (Celtic Christianity, Augustinianism, and so on). I would argue that some of the underrated influences on the English Church and on English spirituality are Benedictinism, St. Julian of Norwich, and St. Anselm of Canterbury. The English Church has also been influenced by Roman Catholicism, the Eastern Orthodox, the reformers of the 16th-18th centuries, and by the Oxford movement and ritualist movements of the 19th and 20th centuries.

I think a lot of the conflict comes from those who wish to impose their view of Anglicanism and the English Church on the whole of the Communion. Given the history of the Church in England, it becomes quite easy for one to find support in the history of the English Church for promoting their beliefs. In the end, it is almost impossible to "peg" Anglicans down as being either this or that. Even if one thinks of themselves as a "classical" Anglican, that can be hard to peg down as well. Classical Anglicanism, despite the influences, isn't Calvinism, Catholicism, or Lutheranism. Rather, it is something quite unique.

Today, I think that the largest number of parishes are somewhere in between Catholic and Protestant, with some leaning in one direction or the other. The majority of parishes also practice a liturgy that combines elements of both the high and the low church movements.

I would recommend these books:

The Rule of Benedict
Complete Works of Julian of Norwich
Complete Works of Anselm of Canterbury
The Benedictine Parish by Akenside Press
Anything by Martin Thorton
The Book of Common Prayer ('79 BCP if Episcopalian, I also recommend the '28 BCP)
Why Study the Past? and Anglican Identities by Dr. Rowan Williams

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CanadianAnglican

Evangelical charismatic Anglican Catholic
May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Since this thread has been bumped, I'd toss in An Introduction to the Theology of the Church of England, In an Exposition of the Thirty-Nine Articles by TP Boultbee. Found it at the library of a local Christian college where I happened to be exploring back in July, and it's quite an enjoyable read. JI Packer's essays on the Thirty-Nine Articles were mentioned earlier; I would suggest reading an exposition like Boultbee's prior to reading Packer's work as they go well together, despite being from wholly different theological outlooks.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
The Ramsey books might be out of print...I'm not too positive, the last time they were available was through the Episcopal Book store that Hillspeak runs but this was in the early 90's.

I got my books from a retired Anglican priest that was clearing out some of his collection.

Upvote 0