San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But this sounds more like being respectful of two religions than actually embracing, believing, the doctrines, etc. of both at once. Since some of the most important of those beliefs are mutually exclusive, I don't know how that would even be possible.
As I said, I'm not sure they worried about rationalizing the aspects of Judaism and Christianity that are mutually exclusive. Call it bad catechism by their Jewish and Christian religious teachers, call it relativism, call it respecting their parents faiths, but whatever it was they came to some amalgamation of Judaism and Christianity a long time ago that has always worked for them and their family. They do believe what they believe, but what they believe probably wouldn't be described by many as small "o" orthodox Judaism or small "o" orthodox Christianity. I've never bothered to ask them in depth the particulars of what they believe but what I've seen is clearly a mix of both faith traditions. If nothing else I always found it fascinating if somewhat theologically jumbled and confusing.

Upvote 0

Zstar

Christian Zoroastrian
Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Hello

Can you be multi-faith?

Why would someone be multi faith?

I ask because I have heard of people being of multiple religions and do not really understand.

Thanks
I practice a multi Faith inspired by the first to be mentioned in the Bible to worship Jesus - the Magi - devoting myself to figure out what connections to Jesus is plausible. Not a random selection of pieces of this and that I created instead reality and truths of those among these who would bestow gold to the household of Jesus - what a legacy that's it's not just a story with the Star found in history through astronomical scientific locations of said stars and planets.

I'm Christian Zoroastrian so view the Gospels and Gathas as my text source filing all the centuries of documents of each to traditions to archive. I find St. Matthew and these Gathas of primary interest worth devoting and learning exclusively and its good to just work with them instead of volumes of the complete Theology of both Faiths personally.

The Golden Rule Mantra resonates for the world Faiths thus I have this in common so I value peacemakers among Faiths thus seek a truce instead saying I figured God out or to condemn or belittle any that find the good of another Religion by more sweeping doctrines yet my field of research is how to be what you inquire in the OP, Christian Zoroastrian.

Why? I devoted my life to researching the Magi finding the Christmas story inspiring. There is no other way for myself after my research except blending these Faiths. I respect the Jewish side of Jesus it's such a volume of books and authors the Bible has as authoritive, like the traditional Avesta, that I realized it all was for myself confusing thus distracting from knowing Jesus as He ask that walked among us as described in St. Matthew plus Zoroasters good religion spoke of in his rhymes the Priesthood preserved in Old Avestan so not the whole Avesta so out of necessity I had to go Gospel and Gathas to make it acceptable the rest is traditions not my area of focus until I figure those out besides the puzzle pieces will all fit when the Lord explains it in eternity if the need be I just feel that to learn Jesus of St. Matthew is what I need to do in my Christian walk not all the Bible yet or Church doctrines however I make sense of various Religions as guides toward what Jesus as the way to God said in that Golden Rule.

See, I take it seriously when He ask me to do this in all things, hoping that by lifting Jesus as peacemaker we can find and be drawn to what He taught and tolerance of others. The God of the Bible complexed me as researched so as Christian made my focus instead to learn what Jesus taught while on earth.

This question to ponder in Golden Rule is always revelant isn't it, walk in their shoes, do good deeds it's also taught to do in all things. Spoke of in other Faiths i found inspiring thus placed the Religion differences on the book shelf of history - clearing way towards this common ground. So at the root i can follow many Faiths with this Rule. Upon that what one builds may be the key how to figure the rest into harmony by that guide.

An interesting inquiry, I have research on my web page on profile if wondering more about my application of the concept in OP. I'm not posting a link to it out of respect to not be proselytizing, just my 2 cents here as a multi Faith Christian Zoroastrian.

the-golden-rule.gif

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟269,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where there would be combination of Judaism and Islam among some for belief, there would be some compromise from either of those original beliefs, or both. Still something seeming worthwhile might be found for those having any such combination. If another belief not based on the Bible is combined by some with Christianity, some of Christian belief is eliminated with that, as with following Zoroastrianism, most of the Bible is dismissed. If it is biblical Judaism with Christianity, that is not at all with contradictions necessarily having scriptural beliefs discarded. All Christian believers originally were Jewish, even as Jesus Christ was Jewish, and they did not stop being Jewish with this Christian belief. So biblical Judaism and Christianity are compatible for that, with understanding the new covenant as fulfillment of what is said for it in Hebrew scriptures, the old testament of the Bible.

Reactions: talitha
Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think that people who claim to be multi-faith have just not delved deeply into any of them. They have this "why can't everybody just get along" attitude, and they don't see that it's not about getting along. It's about truth, and truth is truth.
2a+2a=4a. There is no other answer.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟758,835.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I think that people who claim to be multi-faith have just not delved deeply into any of them. They have this "why can't everybody just get along" attitude, and they don't see that it's not about getting along.
For some that may be true. But not everyone is like that. There are many who go deeply into their multi-faith trajectory. Because of the nature of their spiritual drive, the folks I know on a multi-faith trajectory often go even deeper than those I've seen in a single-faith trajectory.

It's about truth, and truth is truth.
2a+2a=4a. There is no other answer.
Agreed...Truth IS Truth. And when one experiences God/Truth in a multiple of spiritual disciplines, Truth becomes even more of a reality for them.

Which begs the question: "What is Truth?" For myself, Truth is not beliefs, dogma or anything like that. For Truth, I'd go to a direct inner heart experience.

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟758,835.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Me too. Truth is Jesus. We can have a direct inner heart experience of Him. :)
In looking towards the trajectory of a direct inner heart experience of the Divine, a spiritual practice given to me, and one that I often do is to sit in the skin of Jesus and experience with Jesus the "Heart of Christ". And from that perspective, see what I see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟269,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As God is personal, I think the right perspective is considering if God would sprinkle bits of truth among different beliefs of peoples in the world contained then in many mistaken beliefs, without one cohesive set of revealed truth, or if God would give revelation of truth that would all fit together as distinct from other things as such revelation, with evidence for it, such that God can be trusted for it. This latter circumstance is what I am sure of, and it's certain that God would not just have brought everything into being, with not giving any communication to us who are communicating creatures who want to know of God. And I find plenty of evidence for such conclusion.

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Me too. Truth is Jesus. We can have a direct inner heart experience of Him. :)

Inner heart experiences are available in a number of paths outside of Christianity. I have had them as a Christian, Muslim, pagan, occultist, etc, etc....but those experiences don't save anyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟758,835.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Inner heart experiences are available in a number of paths outside of Christianity. I have had them as a Christian, Muslim, pagan, occultist, etc, etc....but those experiences don't save anyone.
For me, it's not about getting saved. What those inner heart experiences do for me is to help make God a reality. And I believe that's what it's all about...making God a reality in ones life.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My conversation with dlamberth there was not about getting saved. :)

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My conversation with dlamberth there was not about getting saved. :)

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,245,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello

Can you be multi-faith?

Why would someone be multi faith?

I ask because I have heard of people being of multiple religions and do not really understand.

Thanks
I think it may be because God doesn't fit easily into
one theological box.

-

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟269,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
gordRedeemed said:

dlamberth said:
For me, it's not about getting saved. What those inner heart experiences do for me is to help make God a reality. And I believe that's what it's all about...making God a reality in ones life.

chaela said:
I think it may be because God doesn't fit easily into one theological box.

Indeed, God will not fit any box that any of us would think for God. I don't think I know most about God, rather it is that no one of humanity does, with us being limited, we cannot really conceive the infinite which is the source of all we know. God is personal though, even if some think God is impersonal, because we think of what are persons in that being limited, ie humans are thought of as persons, yet they all were not always thought to be, animals are thought to be excluded (yet why for that being so?), humans are limited, but if we didn't limit personhood to humans, a person without that limitation doesn't have to be limited, we just don't understand how with not grasping what is infinite ourselves with our limitations.

Evidence of God as ultimate source of everything we find, with design there is for it, is available to all of us, except for the deniers who won't consider it. So knowledge of God is available on that level, without considering revealed communication from God. And we can have response to God, from the heart within, with that knowledge, and God is gracious to lead us on. But the great revelation of what God, Yahweh, is like is only what there is for that from Jesus Christ, who was showing that. It won't be had with being Muslim, pagan, or occultist, though the same response to God can happen from the heart within, as it can with any human.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
But if we were to go with the point you're making here, how would you say that a Methodist's view of how the universe works would differ significantly from, say, that of a Lutheran?

Lutherans generally know something about theology and Methodists don't?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Lutherans generally know something about theology and Methodists don't?
I write "differ"... and you render that as meaning one knows more than the other???? Or that one of them knows nothing!

And it was a question, not a statement anyway.

How in the world do you even grade essays with that little attention being paid to what's in front of you on the page? Wad them up and throw them at your wastebasket perhaps?
:doh1:

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟269,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Christian belief there really is only one way the universe works. Indeed there are shades of distinction in seeing how there is any destiny as there is between Calvinist and Arminian thought, and there being a good range of thought in between. But the universe as it is, as far as known by Christian believers, with this world in it, even with suffering with all this sin being widespread from us, is with Yahweh God sovereign over it all. This is generally the belief of any group of Christian believers, and very few believers would be any exception to it, though perhaps a few individuals are exceptional to it that I would see from Christian Forums, yet I resist the temptation to name who that might be.

Reactions: talitha
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
But the universe as it is, as far as known by Christian believers, with this world in it, even with suffering with all this sin being widespread from us, is with Yahweh God sovereign over it all.

The New Testament doesn't even mention Yahweh by name. Yes, God is sovereign over all as most religions teach.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament doesn't even mention Yahweh by name. Yes, God is sovereign over all as most religions teach.
The New Testament does not need to mention Yahweh by name - it is very easily understood what is meant by "God" or "the Lord" in the context in which it was written.

Reactions: FredVB
Upvote 0