Movies, TV, and Acting

What Sort of Movies and TV Shows Would You Watch?

• None At All

• Only Ones With A Christian Message

• Ones With No Inappropriate/Sinful Content

• One With No Positively Portrayed Inappropriate/Sinful Content

• Ones With Mild Inappropriate/Sinful Content

• Ones With Anything Other Than Extreme and Graphic Content

• Anythings Fine With Me

Results are only viewable after voting.

General Mung Beans

Resident Conservative Christian
Aug 25, 2009
Anaheim, CA
✟8,496.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

CreationMakesSense

Jesus is our Lord & Savior
Jan 12, 2011
Long Island, NY
✟7,613.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Anything with a Christian message....

But if I told you what those shows, or rather that show was, certainly I would be questioned... That being said:

All I watch is news channels (Conservative & financial news), The Simpsons (Yes, that controversal 20-yr old cartoon...I don't want to go into this further) and Christian TV & Radio

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Okay. There is a lot to be said about this sometimes-touchy topic -- touchy, in that convictions vary so much in this area that one person may find any given program utterly offensive while another will not.

As for myself, it was hard to find an option that fits my exact views on this issue and any personal commentary I can offer. Granted, I wholly believe that a Christian should monitor what they take into their minds in the line of all types of entertainment - TV programming/movies, music, reading material, and so on. But along with much of the general content, I like to factor in general worldviews, philosophies, and the overall moral which is being taught in any given program. I weigh everything with a reasonably open mind, and with my own best judgment, I've made my own discoveries.

I have found that even the most innocent of TV programming is going to contain some sort of sinful actions (or content some will not like, depending on general taste or conviction). Many of today's G and PG, geared for family viewing, will have some mild swearing, slangs such as "butt" (which some may view as swearing), and a small amount of "gas" humor (which to me is nothing more than joking about imperfections of the human body (like pimples during adolescence and other such things), but I believe there is a limit. In the classics of yesteryear, they depicted (and sometimes even exalted) a lot of smoking (be it pipes, cigars, or cigarettes) and women in skimpy dance outfits in the old musicals. Shirley Temple and other little girls wore extremely short dresses (being prepubescent is no excuse). Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton were always chasing ladies. "I Love Lucy" showed Lucy lying and scheming with Ethel in some sort of hare-brained plan. Jackie Gleason threatened Alice with his classic line "To the moon!". Yes, the list goes on. There will always be something to nitpick about, and if we avoided every little thing a given person might find the slightest bit inappropriate, you might as well get rid of your TV!

All that said, there is very little on TV (as far as newer programs are concerned) that I think is appropriate for Christian viewership (although, like I said, convictions will differ). I do like "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition", "AFV", "Primetime:What Would You Do?", "The Middle" (which is as gritty as I'll go) and a lot of the stations like Food Network, Animal Planet, and "RFDTV" which contain a lot of educational and beneficial information. And I appreciate some of the exclusively Christian programming (the Christiano brothers have a great evangelical movie ministry), and a lot of the older sitcoms and dramas. And of course, those underrated "moldy oldies"!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tend to avoid shows with extreme vulgarity, or that portray christians or faith in a bad light. Shows I watch on a semi-regular basis though include: Top Chef, NCIS, NCIS Los Angelas, House, Glee, Human Target, Undercovers, Burn Notice, White Collar, Royal Pains and Covert Affairs.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I tend to avoid shows with extreme vulgarity, or that portray christians or faith in a bad light. Shows I watch on a semi-regular basis though include: Top Chef, NCIS, NCIS Los Angelas, House, Glee, Human Target, Undercovers, Burn Notice, White Collar, Royal Pains and Covert Affairs.

I tend to watch a lot of the same shows as you except for Top Chef, Undercovers and Glee. I would add to your list the following: Justified, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead (yes I know), Leverage, Castle, Lie to Me, Fringe, Psych, The Good Guys, V, The Glades, The Closer, Tactical Arms, Handguns and Wipeout. Several shows my wife and I watched on SyFy are now canceled.

Upvote 0

jacobs well

Apr 15, 2010
✟15,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I tend to watch a lot of the same shows as you except for Top Chef, Undercovers and Glee. I would add to your list the following: Justified, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead (yes I know), Leverage, Castle, Lie to Me, Fringe, Psych, The Good Guys, V, The Glades, The Closer, Tactical Arms, Handguns and Wipeout. Several shows my wife and I watched on SyFy are now canceled.

Hello- like to watch the mentalist put the bad guys away
- House, especially when he learns a life lesson
-Brothers and Sisters to confirm I dont own the word dysfunctional alone
-Greys anatomy to prove we still need Gods help
-the biggest loser to keep my fast food addictions in check
-the evening news-to see how everybody else got through the day

jw

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello- like to watch the mentalist put the bad guys away
- House, especially when he learns a life lesson
-Brothers and Sisters to confirm I dont own the word dysfunctional alone
-Greys anatomy to prove we still need Gods help
-the biggest loser to keep my fast food addictions in check
-the evening news-to see how everybody else got through the day

jw

I forgot to mention House and the Mentalist -- I like both too. I've watched a few episodes of Greys Anatomy and Brothers and Sisters, but didn't want to get hooked on another continuing storyline. I work late so I'm able to avoid the daily propaganda, er I mean, the nightly news.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

charismaticace

Questioning Christian
Oct 24, 2010
✟15,239.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't watch a lot of shows, in that I don't watch a lot of shows that are on right now. I do, however, have netflix and am a workaholic...sometimes a dangerous combination. I have compiled a list of my personal favorites:

Mad About You
Scrubs
Cheers
Spin City
Gray's Anatomy
Star Trek
The Tudors
:bow:Two and a Half Men - LOVE IT!:bow:
M*A*S*H
Family Guy
ER - up until Julianna Marguiles leaves
:bow:Seinfeld - LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!:bow:
Married...With Children :blush:
F*R*I*E*N*D*S
The Office
:bow:West Wing - Two Cathedrals...best episode ever!:bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jul 27, 2011
✟15,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've gotten to a point where I can't stand most of what's on tv and in movies these days. If I only watch movies and tv shows with no cursing, sexuality, or graphic violence, that rules out most of them. But I also feel uncomfortable knowing that two actors who aren't married to each other or even dating are kissing and what not. So if I filtered out those programs and movies, there's very little, at least fictional that I could watch. One day I'll probably just stop watching that stuff altogether, but sometimes it's nice to have the tv on in the house, just so you have some noise in the background.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2011
✟15,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think there's two reasons. The first is, my whole life, whenever I see people kissing, I feel like I should look away or leave the room to give them privacy. Even if they're on tv. The second reason is, I used to want to make movies, and be an actress, and I used to think, what am I comfortable doing. What would I do for a role? What would I ask actors to do in my movies? I've never been comfortable with the idea of being physical (in a romantic way) for a movie. It seems like a borderline form of prostitution. Like I'm being paid to kiss this guy, or do more, and if I say no, they'll give the role to someone else. In order to be in the film industry, you have to be willing to get physical with people. No one cares whether you're actually dating them or married to them. You have to drop those kinds of beliefs at the door, or you can't make movies.

So now as a viewer, I feel very uncomfortable watching shows or movies where I know actors are doing things that I find immoral, and that I myself wouldn't feel comfortable doing.

Of course, filmmakers could always cast couples to play opposite each other, but they won't, because they don't care about those kinds of things.

Upvote 0

charismaticace

Questioning Christian
Oct 24, 2010
✟15,239.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No tv at all? Well, I admire your will power. I admit I do not watch a lot of tv but a do watch quite a few movies. It's how I unwind. And not for nothing, part of it is a quote I once read: "I watch movies to try to imagine what it would be like if I fit in."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Medieval: I don't feel comfortable watching kissing either. Even though I'm married, it makes me feel weird and bashful. I really think there's a reason for this.

As for my hubsand and I, I think we watch more TV than what we should. Shows like Law & Order: SVU and Dr Who have been addicting! But I feel convicted often about it.

Lately, I've been wondering if we should just dump our cable. I've been debating on and off for quite a while if television should be watched or not. I mean, things like HGTV and FOOD network and such are okay in moderation but I don't find those that interesting. But watching movies with swearing, sexual stuff, or even philosophies that are completely contrary to the Word - these are things I'm struggling and debating in my mind over.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0