A Christian Cinematic Universe?

Is it time for a "cinematic universe" based around Christian lore and thoughts?

• Yes, let's see some amazing Christian-inspired stories!

• No, that sounds like a bad idea.

Results are only viewable after voting.

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been stealing hours here and there in my busy life to try my hand at writing, with great help from some far more creative friends, and it does sound a bit like what you desacribe, so maybe I am on the right track! In the end, I do not expect what I make to be anything significant, but maybe it can get people thinking and talking about the general idea of an "inspired by scripture" fictional universe, if that makes any sense?

I think I found the series, I will be looking into it when time is aplenty for such things!
I get what you mean. If you can inspire others, maybe it will get the ball rolling. Reminds me of 1 Corinthians 3:6 "I have planted, Apollos watered; but God made it grow." Then again, maybe what you write will be great itself. :)

Reactions: Harry Larry
Upvote 0

Harry Larry

And not one sparrow...
Feb 10, 2024
Copenhagen
✟2,344.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I get what you mean. If you can inspire others, maybe it will get the ball rolling. Reminds me of 1 Corinthians 3:6 "I have planted, Apollos watered; but God made it grow." Then again, maybe what you write will be great itself. :)
When I feel something good about it, I will probably upload it here for all to tell me. And the quote is very good, spot on, thank you!

Upvote 0

Harry Larry

And not one sparrow...
Feb 10, 2024
Copenhagen
✟2,344.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Okay, I have just over 5000 words written that I feel good with as a first draft (first draft of the first 5000 words, mind you, not the first draft of a complete story, much more needs to be written for that). I am thinking about posting them here, and later posting the rest as I find time to write it. Where in here would it be best to post such a "novel" thing (pun definitely intended)??

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think the Creative Writing section in The Writers Guild (Hobbies, Interests, & Entertainment section) is where that would normally be posted. You might have to make multiple posts (not sure on the word limit per post). After that, you could link here to the topic you make there for people to check it out. :cool:

Reactions: Harry Larry
Upvote 0

Harry Larry

And not one sparrow...
Feb 10, 2024
Copenhagen
✟2,344.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the Creative Writing section in The Writers Guild (Hobbies, Interests, & Entertainment section) is where that would normally be posted. You might have to make multiple posts (not sure on the word limit per post). After that, you could link here to the topic you make there for people to check it out. :cool:
Looks like the perfect place, I never knew it even existed! Thank you!
Writing thread

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was at a dinner with a friend and his family a few days back, and had a very interesting encounter. In fact, it is what motivated me to break out of my little introvert exile and find this place online, something that is, well, not really like me (countryside isolation becomes a very comfy blanket after a few years).

The young person had mentioned that a "trend" on online video and image sites that has become pretty big is more biblically correct portrayals of angels, and was showing another young person images of the wheels-in-wheels and six winged depictions, all of them very well made. I guess they noticed me looking at the images, too, because they started asking me about the images. For some time, we talked about biblical stories (the basics, I am no scholar), and at some point, one of them dropped the big question: "Why don't they make movies and games about this just like they do comic book characters?" And honestly, I had no good answer. Why has nobody picked up the ball on this? Many of my former students (retired teacher) love characters like Castiel, an actual angel, in the TV show Supernatural, even though the show really seems to be a typical monster-of-the-week action series, and there are other characters and stories like that out there, very popular. Kids are craving communities that sound remarkably like what I know from church in my own youth. And it seems like the towering giant that is Disney has finally begun to run out of steam with things like Star Wars and Marvel. Maybe it is time for something rooted in Christian lore?

Of course I know that this is not an easy thing to create, but it seems like every kid under the age of 20 knows how to do at least some level of media stuff, and I see youngsters doing amazing stuff just for fun. I am honestly thinking about researching it a bit to see what it would take to do some quality stuff, even if on the low end, to create a Christian Cinematic / Media Universe (though I do not like that name), perhaps hiring talented youngsters with too little good to do with their time. Something that builds more on deep thought and wholesome stories than just the bang-pow-crash stuff that I feel every movie or show is turning into these days.

What do you all think? Is it time for Christian media to move out of the cookie cutter budget movies and try something new? Something with deeper movies, novels, comics, even computer games? Or is it just the pipe dream of an old nut like me? I will try to add a poll but this is my first day on the board, so forgive me if I do not know what I do :)

C.S. Lewis did it with Screwtape Letters...

Right there is a good foundation for such a venture ???

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was at a dinner with a friend and his family a few days back, and had a very interesting encounter. In fact, it is what motivated me to break out of my little introvert exile and find this place online, something that is, well, not really like me (countryside isolation becomes a very comfy blanket after a few years).

The young person had mentioned that a "trend" on online video and image sites that has become pretty big is more biblically correct portrayals of angels, and was showing another young person images of the wheels-in-wheels and six winged depictions, all of them very well made. I guess they noticed me looking at the images, too, because they started asking me about the images. For some time, we talked about biblical stories (the basics, I am no scholar), and at some point, one of them dropped the big question: "Why don't they make movies and games about this just like they do comic book characters?" And honestly, I had no good answer. Why has nobody picked up the ball on this? Many of my former students (retired teacher) love characters like Castiel, an actual angel, in the TV show Supernatural, even though the show really seems to be a typical monster-of-the-week action series, and there are other characters and stories like that out there, very popular. Kids are craving communities that sound remarkably like what I know from church in my own youth. And it seems like the towering giant that is Disney has finally begun to run out of steam with things like Star Wars and Marvel. Maybe it is time for something rooted in Christian lore?

Of course I know that this is not an easy thing to create, but it seems like every kid under the age of 20 knows how to do at least some level of media stuff, and I see youngsters doing amazing stuff just for fun. I am honestly thinking about researching it a bit to see what it would take to do some quality stuff, even if on the low end, to create a Christian Cinematic / Media Universe (though I do not like that name), perhaps hiring talented youngsters with too little good to do with their time. Something that builds more on deep thought and wholesome stories than just the bang-pow-crash stuff that I feel every movie or show is turning into these days.

What do you all think? Is it time for Christian media to move out of the cookie cutter budget movies and try something new? Something with deeper movies, novels, comics, even computer games? Or is it just the pipe dream of an old nut like me? I will try to add a poll but this is my first day on the board, so forgive me if I do not know what I do :)
As a Christian, this sounds like a bad idea. Hollywood might take liberties and twist the Bible verses for entertainment factors. We would not want a gun-toting Mary to fight off the Romans, when that never happened in the Bible. But, we could have Christian characters (not from the Bible, but just superheroes) set in the 21st century try to do what is right.

Blue Beetle's family is Catholic: "A notable element of the Jaime's Blue Beetle series has been its focus on Jaime Reyes’ family. This has given Jaime’s story a strong emotional foundation and is considered to be a fan-favorite feature of the comic book. Jaime Reyes and his family are Mexican-American Catholics living in El Paso, Texas. Whether their religious affiliation is devout or nominal is not clear, but the Catholic crucifix hangs in the family room of the Reyes home", a quote from Comic Vine on GameSpot ( Blue Beetle (Reyes) (Character) - Comic Vine ).

Upvote 0