[MOVED] There's a game you don't know how to play - win it, using Evolution?

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there,

So if there was a game you didn't know how to play - would you try to win, it using Evolution?

Thanks.
No.

Evolution is exclusive to connect-the-dots.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

So if there was a game you didn't know how to play - would you try to win, it using Evolution?

Thanks.
Sure, would you attempt to o learn it by reading the bible?

I think my system would teach me bridge quicker

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi there,

Thanks.
Well, in some cases, we can do exactly this.

http://boxcar2d.com/

The car is given a semi-random track, and gradually "evolves" to get further and further with better and better times.

Of course, for any genetic algorithm, we need selection criteria. We need a way of semi-randomly mixing "genetics", and a way of selecting for "organisms" that do better. So it kind of depends on what you mean by "we don't know how to play" - is it like stepping up to a Street Fighter 4 console where we don't know how to do any of the moves, but the general principle of "beat opponent by pressing buttons" is clear? Or is it more like being presented with Chinese Checkers and having no idea how the heck Chinese Checkers is played? If the latter, it's impossible to design a genetic algorithm.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Thanks.
Only if the game was to build an airplane using scrap parts at the scrap yard. We could use all the old parts and come up with a bigger, better, faster, more fancy plane.

Upvote 0

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

MOD HAT ON

After careful consideration by CF-Staff:
This thread has been moved to

Creation & Evolution

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi there,

Thanks.
I would use human selection rather than natural selection. It works faster.

Dogs.jpg

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I would use human selection rather than natural selection. It works faster.

Dogs.jpg
Way faster... but if you can leave a computer using natural selection to make an algorithm to win the game, it might get a better answer then you would have had the patience to come up with on your own.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Way faster... but if you can leave a computer using natural selection to make an algorithm to win the game, it might get a better answer then you would have had the patience to come up with on your own.
Until they create a algorithm to disable or defeat your algorithm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Until they create a algorithm to disable or defeat your algorithm.
:) Then you run the systems that built both against each other till it reaches equilibrium, and you've got a local maxima at least.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But not the dog I was looking for. The goal of "survival" is the opposite of what man is seeking.
Evolution is only a coping mechanism that repairs holes brought on by decay in the environment.
It's more like an immune system. It doesn't create anything new or better. It just helps patch holes.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think my system would teach me bridge quicker

I'm not sure which you refer to , but evolution won't help you with Bridge.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:) Then you run the systems that built both against each other till it reaches equilibrium, and you've got a local maxima at least.
It would be a competition between the programmers and most likely one of them would be better then the other. That is something I would like to see. As it is all a programmer has to do is create a program that does not crash and very few of them seem to even be able to do that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you want to read the Bible then you will need the Holy Spirit of God to help you understand what your reading. There are lots and lots of demonstrations on this board of the futility of the natural man trying to understand what is spiritual. Only those that are born again can understand the things of God.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Thanks.

As we've told you many times, evolution affects populations, not individuals. So imagine a population of people playing this game, and none of them know how to win.

Some of them might roll a dice. Some might deal a card. Some might spin a wheel. Sooner or later, someone is going to do something that is going to give them a slight benefit at playing the game, get them a little bit closer to winning than other people.

So we take these people, and use what they did as a starting point, and get everyone to do some variation on what they did. And again, we'll find that some people perform better than everyone else, and we'll also find that the people who did the best this time did better than the people who did the best the first time.

Keep doing this many times, and eventually you'll get someone who wins.

Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi there,

Not unless the game involved life, if it didn't then I would use the Bible because I could then make up my own rules.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not unless the game involved life, if it didn't then I would use the Bible because I could then make up my own rules.
Sooner or later you'll make up a rule that the Bible disagrees with.

Then you're busted.

Upvote 0