LDS Mormon teaching on the New Covenant of scripture - is there one??

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Read the entire D&C.

Surely you are kidding.

If I had made the request "tell me every doctrine and topic in the book D&C" I can understand a response that is of the form "go read that entire book".

But I asked you very specifically for the official Mormon teaching on the New Covenant.

You don't seem to appreciate the opportunity you have here. This is the place to really shine in demonstrating all the wonderful documented Mormon teaching on the all-important topic of the "New Covenant".

This is essentially "a gift" to you to take that stage and show case what the Mormon church has on this very important subject. "Go read all of some Mormon book" falls far short of "here is the page or chapter where we focus on the subject of the New Covenant".

You found a page where "a chapter in the bible is quoted" -- and that is fine... but I already found that chapter in my bible without the Mormon church. I was hoping your church had some official statement on this all-important doctrine.

For example
-- IF someone had said to Me - "Hey Bob - doesn't your church have a prophet that lived in the 1800's... didn't that prophet say anything about the New Covenant? Anything at all??".

--And IF I did not want to take the time to look up all the places where that can be found -- so with almost no effort at all -- I would have posted this..and said "click on the blue text"

https://egwwritings.org/?module=writings&params=(search:'"New Covenant"',bookcode:'',filter:[{'type':'folder','key':'4'},{'type':'folder','key':'1227'},{'type':'folder','key':'5'},{'type':'folder','key':'8'},{'type':'folder','key':'9'},{'type':'folder','key':'10'},{'type':'folder','key':'253'},{'type':'folder','key':'14'}])

If that someone had said instead of that -
"Hey Bob, doesn't the 28 Fundamental Beliefs statement of your denomination mention the New Covenant? If so , where?"

I would say "sure it does... belief number 12"

The Church : Belief #12
The church is the community of believers who confess Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. In continuity with the people of God in Old Testament times, we are called out from the world; and we join together for worship, for fellowship, for instruction in the Word, for the celebration of the Lord’s Supper, for service to humanity, and for the worldwide procla-mation of the gospel. The church derives its authority from Christ, who is the incarnate Word revealed in the Scriptures. The church is God’s family; adopted by Him as children, its members live on the basis of the new covenant. The church is the body of Christ, a community of faith of which Christ Himself is the Head. The church is the bride for whom Christ died that He might sanctify and cleanse her. At His return in triumph, He will present her to Himself a glorious church, the faithful of all the ages, the purchase of His blood, not having spot or wrinkle, but holy and without blemish. (Gen. 12:1-3; Exod. 19:3-7; Matt. 16:13-20; 18:18; 28:19, 20; Acts 2:38-42; 7:38; 1 Cor. 1:2; Eph. 1:22, 23; 2:19-22; 3:8-11; 5:23-27; Col. 1:17, 18; 1 Peter 2:9.)

https://szu.adventist.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/28_Beliefs.pdf

so whatever is in there, is part of our documentation that we are living the new covenant.

Without actually mentioning the New Covenant -- except to repost Jeremiah chapter 31 without comment?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The law of Moses is a book of commandments, and the Israelite leaders pushed their people to think if I keep all of these commandments, I will get to heaven. The leaders completely gave up on the spirit of the law and it became a rope that hanged them.

So now lets "notice the details" in how Christ corrects them - he contrasts what THEY teach with what "Moses said"

Mark 7
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
7 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men—the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”
9 He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 11 But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Well read Jesus's words and you will find some very conflicting doctrines between Jesus and Paul. Most Christians side with Paul and pay lip service to Jesus.

Seriously??

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So now lets "notice the details" in how Christ corrects them - he contrasts what THEY teach with what "Moses said"

Mark 7
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
7 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men—the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”
9 He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 11 But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Seriously??
Seriously? Have you read some of the words of Paul vs Jesus. Sounds like 2 different gospels in many cases.

Tell me, what would Paul say to this saying of Jesus?
Matthew 6:14-15 King James Version (KJV)
14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

I have heard many Christians say that Paul's grace doctrine supersedes Jesus's works doctrine. What do you say?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Seriously? Have you read some of the words of Paul vs Jesus. Sounds like 2 different gospels in many cases.

I guess it depends on how much you get used to reading the Bible

Tell me, what would Paul say to this saying of Jesus?
Matthew 6:14-15 King James Version (KJV)
14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Romans 2:13
13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

Rom 13
8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. 9 For this, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

1 Cor 9
23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it. 24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, lest after I have preached the Gospel to others, I myself will not be disqualified

How does any of this help you produce Mormon documents on the Biblical New Covenant?

Upvote 0