• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

More of an apathetic feeling...

M

MoreFaith

When I was 7 years old, my mother re-married a man (an evil man, I might add) from Church. We used to attend FGNYC, the biggest church in New York, I believe. Anyway, after we moved in with my step father, step brothers (2) and step sister, everything went wrong, but I never said anything. One of the brothers would beat me every day, but eventually I couldn't feel the pain. So did the sister, who was always there to hit me whenever the brother wasn't around. One time, the brother was driving me to Church for evening service, made me get off in the middle of the highway, and I stood around for about an hour until someone from Church recognized me walking and I was picked up and dropped off at home and nothing else was mentioned. My step brother would limit my diet to about a slice of cheese and a bowl of cereal every day. Sometimes I stole a piece of chocolate from the refrigerator or a piece of dry squid. My step father would sometimes beat my mom, with some of the items my step brother used to beat me with. Even when my mother was pregnant with my half sister, my step father would still beat her and once time threw her down the stairs and smashed the telephone over her head. This wasn't frequently though, maybe once every month for her. But for me, the beatings were every day, and I would never tell anyone about it. One day, my step father made my mom go to jail by telling one of his good friends from work (my mother and step father both worked at a beauty parlor) to cut himself, and say that my mom did it. She was taken away for about a day, and a court order was made for both my mom and my step father's friend, but my step father's friend never showed up (3 times), so the case was sealed. Before this happened, about a month before my mom got together with this guy, my mom had recieved a $60,000 inheritance from the death of her father from another country. I don't know if it was in cash, but my step father and his family left with the money about after 2 years of this. My mom says there is no way to get the money back. A lot of the money went to FGNYC's reverend, and I don't know what he did with it. My mom went to him and some other pastors there for help, but they told her to just leave and bad mouthed my mom. So we just left. Ever since then, we've been living on very little money, and we still live in a insect and rat infested apartment. But what I remember from back then...I don't really feel anything at all. I can't hold a grudge against them, because for some reason, I just can't hate that much. It feels like I don't care about what happened. I haven't forgotten it, but I just feel...apathetic. I don't know if this is a bad sign or not, but I have gotten along fine so far. I am 18 years old, and here I am, just trying to be normal. Now I am just trying to get closer to God.