Visit site
✟1,022,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
OK - so in Catholic circles I have heard things like - we are not worthy to handle it, only the consecrated hands of the priest is worthy to handle the Eucharist, so you have to only receive on the tongue.

I guess that's some of where I am coming from. I can't figure how I'm not worthy to touch with my hand, but it's ok for me to chew and swallow.

The other argument I have heard is concern about particles falling, and Jesus being vacuumed up - but I don't think He is stuck in the crumbs like He's trapped and can't get out. After all, we do digest the elements.
Yes, we digest the elements, but we still treat them with respect and reverence. After all, it is the Body and Blood of Christ. Like Father Matt said, people would take it home and do all sorts of things with it.

• Agree
Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it's not about worthiness (especially since the Tsar, who was a layman, could receive with the hands) since none are worthy.

both were just ways to guard the Eucharist, since folks back in the day would do all kinds of experiments to pieces of Communion they'd bring home.

That makes more sense. I have always had a hard time with how the priest is worthy and lay people not, to hold the Eucharist. Their hands are consecrated and so holy, and we are somehow lesser.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
it's not about worthiness (especially since the Tsar, who was a layman, could receive with the hands) since none are worthy.

both were just ways to guard the Eucharist, since folks back in the day would do all kinds of experiments to pieces of Communion they'd bring home.
So it is not bad to take Communion on the hands?

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
None of us are worthy to receive, much less offer the Eucharist as a priest. The prayer a priest prays silently before the Great Entrance expresses this quite clearly. Nevertheless, because of Gods condescension and love for mankind we are able to participate in Him and partake of the eternal Life. I have yet to encounter an experienced priest who would think himself as somehow holier or more worthy than his parishioners, in fact it's quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That makes more sense. I have always had a hard time with how the priest is worthy and lay people not, to hold the Eucharist. Their hands are consecrated and so holy, and we are somehow lesser.

yep, it was a practical change, not a change in theology.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
:) so - Out of curiosity, which way is it for you all?
Greek parish - our practice seemed to vary between people previously, but since COVID-19 our bishop and priest now would like us to receive baby bird style without touching the spoon with our mouths

• Informative
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Greek parish - our practice seemed to vary between people previously, but since COVID-19 our bishop and priest now would like us to receive baby bird style without touching the spoon with our mouths
Spoon in the mouth for us. Greek parish. Also the same at the Russian skete we visit. Nothing has changed.

Upvote 0