WI
✟77,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just saw a clip from an old Moody Science Series on Twitter. Just a clip on science without any context.

Dr. Irwin Moon . Here is the whole of the episode.
Wow, this is a cool video. :) Science has always fascinated me since being a kid.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Same here. My dad showed the series on Sunday nights at our church back in REEL days.

Very nice.

Growing up I benefitted from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, with Fred Rogers, a Presbyterian minister, and Mr. Wizard, a very nice scientist who was quite elderly, as my two favorite childrens’ programs.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suppose many if not most folks these days have never seen a reel to reel projector for films.
I have heard of reel film projectors, but not REEL (which you had in all caps, so I assumed that was an acronym, such as hypothetically: Religious Entertainment & Education Lessons). Americans love their acronyms nowadays, they use them in church, society and in companies.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I suppose many if not most folks these days have never seen a reel to reel projector for films.

I’m old enough to remember the 16mm projectors that were used for educational films. I don’t think I ever saw or did anything with super 8 film, for me Super 8 was always a motel chain a cut above Motel 6.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I have heard of reel film projectors, but not REEL (which you had in all caps, so I assumed that was an acronym, such as hypothetically: Religious Entertainment & Education Lessons). Americans love their acronyms nowadays, they use them in church, society and in companies.

Yes but we also love putting things in all caps for emphasis (which famously means shouting according to emphasis), particularly when talking about how things were back in THE days. Also the traditional way of writing an acronym was to put periods between the characters, except with company names like IBM or 3M or in technical situations, for example, on IBM mainframes one used to boot MVS, VSE (if one had a low budget), TPF or VM/CMS off of a DASD in order to run CICS and TCAM/TSO, as well as batch mode processing controlled via the JCL scripting language, which was interesting in that it was originally entered using punch cards, and was later largely displaced by REXX. NASA also loves this kind of acronym, as does the U.S.A.F., particularly the former S.A.C., which are still formal enough that one ought to use the periods, or full stops as non-Americans call them (one might suggest in jest that it is all part of a vast conspiracy by the former British Empire to exact revenge on us Yankees* by confusing us with strange words).

*Technically the word Yankee refers the early colonists of New England, basically Connecticut through Maine, and their descendants, as opposed to those who settled in New York or Pennsylvania or the Mid-Atlantic or the South.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes but we also love putting things in all caps for emphasis (which famously means shouting according to emphasis), particularly when talking about how things were back in THE days. Also the traditional way of writing an acronym was to put periods between the characters, except with company names like IBM or 3M or in technical situations, for example, on IBM mainframes one used to boot MVS, VSE (if one had a low budget), TPF or VM/CMS off of a DASD in order to run CICS and TCAM/TSO, as well as batch mode processing controlled via the JCL scripting language, which was interesting in that it was originally entered using punch cards, and was later largely displaced by REXX. NASA also loves this kind of acronym, as does the U.S.A.F., particularly the former S.A.C., which are still formal enough that one ought to use the periods, or full stops as non-Americans call them (one might suggest in jest that it is all part of a vast conspiracy by the former British Empire to exact revenge on us Yankees* by confusing us with strange words).

*Technically the word Yankee refers the early colonists of New England, basically Connecticut through Maine, and their descendants, as opposed to those who settled in New York or Pennsylvania or the Mid-Atlantic or the South.
Interesting stuff. But many people do not even use dots in acronyms nowadays sadly, so THE good old days were much better in that regard :). I have heard of punch card computing. Ada Lovelace used punch cards for the Analytical Engine (mechanical computer) back in the 19th century, and punch cards became used commonly on electronic computers during the middle part of the 20th century. Within the past half century, punch cards have been replaced with programming languages such as Fortran (formerly known as FORTRAN). Most recently, Python has been taking over computing.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Interesting stuff. But many people do not even use dots in acronyms nowadays sadly, so THE good old days were much better in that regard :). I have heard of punch card computing. Ada Lovelace used punch cards for the Analytical Engine (mechanical computer) back in the 19th century, and punch cards became used commonly on electronic computers during the middle part of the 20th century. Within the past half century, punch cards have been replaced with programming languages such as Fortran (formerly known as FORTRAN). Most recently, Python has been taking over computing.

Actually on many systems FORTRAN and COBOL and assembler programmers had to put their programs on punch cards, which on a “closed shop” computer had to then be submitted to a secretary, who would see they were queued up, and at a certain point either an operator would load them manually and then return them with the printed output, or they would be loaded automatically, so if there was a mistake in your code you might not find out for hours, or until the next day. Welcome to the wonderful world of batch-mode computing. When interactive timesharing systems started to become available in the 1960s they were something of a godsend.

Also while Python is quite popular, it has not taken over computing by a long shot. Almost all systems programming, game development and so on is done in C/C++ with a dash of assembler required for operating systems, specifically for the tiny amount of non-portable code that talks to the specific CPU architecture, but thankfully, UNIX in the 1970s and its subsequent clones, especially NetBSD and Linux, have proven that the vast majority of a kernel and all conventional userland software can be written in a high level language like C. One still would not want to use large amounts of python here for performance reasons. Also, Javascript (no actual technical relation to Java) remains the dominant language for client side scripting of web applications and thanks to Node.JS can also be used server-side. And a massive number of websites still use PHP instead of a superior language like python or ruby or D or Rust or Go or node.js or pretty much anything other than PHP, because of the long time in which PHP was the dominant language for server side web development (in fact it probably still is).

Also unfortunately many business applications still run in nightmarish VisualBASIC.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually on many systems FORTRAN and COBOL and assembler programmers had to put their programs on punch cards, which on a “closed shop” computer had to then be submitted to a secretary, who would see they were queued up, and at a certain point either an operator would load them manually and then return them with the printed output, or they would be loaded automatically, so if there was a mistake in your code you might not find out for hours, or until the next day. Welcome to the wonderful world of batch-mode computing. When interactive timesharing systems started to become available in the 1960s they were something of a godsend.

Also while Python is quite popular, it has not taken over computing by a long shot. Almost all systems programming, game development and so on is done in C/C++ with a dash of assembler required for operating systems, specifically for the tiny amount of non-portable code that talks to the specific CPU architecture, but thankfully, UNIX in the 1970s and its subsequent clones, especially NetBSD and Linux, have proven that the vast majority of a kernel and all conventional userland software can be written in a high level language like C. One still would not want to use large amounts of python here for performance reasons. Also, Javascript (no actual technical relation to Java) remains the dominant language for client side scripting of web applications and thanks to Node.JS can also be used server-side. And a massive number of websites still use PHP instead of a superior language like python or ruby or D or Rust or Go or node.js or pretty much anything other than PHP, because of the long time in which PHP was the dominant language for server side web development (in fact it probably still is).

Also unfortunately many business applications still run in nightmarish VisualBASIC.
Cool, cool.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't grow up in a religious household in my youth, but dang if I had seen this while growing up in the sixties and seventies I might have come to God before I desperately needed help from drug addiction in the 90s. But I never believed in coming from monkeys as my science book taught me I thought we were placed here by aliens. I guess Star Trek shaped my worldview and I admired Science Officer Spock the most. Interesting video thx. Peace

Upvote 0