Mobile Spirituality: Anyone here use Phone Apps for Daily Prayers?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Blessings :)

Although I have some Orthodox Prayer Apps on my phone, there was specific ones I was looking into of late...some being here and the other here:

I was wondering if anyone here used any Phone Apps for doing their Morning and Evening prayers - and if so, which ones. I have one on my phone, in the event I miss going into my prayer closet and I've used it while driving to do the morning prayers. Although I do have a prayer book, the phone app seems easier - although I have heard on others not being as comfortable with the use of technology when doing prayer (just as it is with other forms of technology in the Church). As Fr. Zacharia Varghese noted (as he was one who conceptualised the prayer app for the Syrian Orthodox Church), Syrian Orthodox Church launches prayer app Qleedo | The Indian Express.

It just seems different when it seems others feel that you're not as "spiritual" or truly praying if in your car praying prayers on the phone while doing the sign of the Cross and not necessarily in your closet where no one can see you.

confession_app_adp1.jpg

But again, does anyone else here utilize the prayer apps when it comes to Orthodox prayers?

Last edited:

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I use pomog.org for morning/evening prayers and Communion prep prayers. I also have recordings of prayers. I prefer not to use the recordings because it is easier to tune them out. I also find it tempting that I have the entire internet in hand as a potential distraction. I also use a daily calendar app for daily readings some lives of the saints and troparia/kontakia. All these things are helpful for less than ideal situations or on the go, but I prefer as low tech as possible when I can. I also recently started listening to an audio bible. I am better able to make progress when I don't have to fit down and read. I do get distracted, but to get through the scriptures in about 70 hours listening time seems great to me. I can't tell you how long it would take me to put in 70 hours of reading.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I use pomog.org for morning/evening prayers and Communion prep prayers. I also have recordings of prayers.
How did you get the recordings of prayer?

I prefer not to use the recordings because it is easier to tune them out. I also find it tempting that I have the entire internet in hand as a potential distraction.
That's true - although I've had it before where (after using my prayer app) I decided to go on the internet to look for other prayers..
I also use a daily calendar app for daily readings some lives of the saints and troparia/kontakia.
What's the name of the app?
All these things are helpful for less than ideal situations or on the go, but I prefer as low tech as possible when I can.
Likewise. There's nothing like standing before icons in peace in the morning rather than praying on the go..

I also recently started listening to an audio bible. I am better able to make progress when I don't have to fit down and read. I do get distracted, but to get through the scriptures in about 70 hours listening time seems great to me. I can't tell you how long it would take me to put in 70 hours of reading.
Audio Bible can be so very helpful...

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Pomog.org has recordings on their site along with the text. I also downloaded prayers from Orthodox Christian Recorded Books . the calendar app I use is just called Orthodox Calendar developed by David Leselidze. It's pretty basic, but thorough. I think it's only Old Calendar unless there is a place to change that seeing that I don't know about.

The calendar and the audio Bible are really the only things that I would say give a net benefit to my spiritual life, the others just help me keep a baseline when I would struggle just to stay afloat.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Until very recently, I always used an ap for my prayers, but only because I just got a prayer book. I don't think it would prove useful, compared to the ones you are discussing, though there are some things I like about it (and I sometimes still use it).

Mostly I have used "Pray Always +"

It has morning and evening prayers, those for communion, and intercession, and lots of other prayers for specific things (the hours, journeying, thanksgiving, guidance, and so on). Mostly I have used it for morning and evening.

I also have Daily Readings, which has the saints, feasts, (including apolytikions and kontakions), as well as the daily and Gospel readings. It has a section for prayers, but I don't use it for that, since it only has a few. It does allow you to customize and add prayers to it though.

I'll have to look for the ones you all mentioned, thank you.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Pomog.org has recordings on their site along with the text. I also downloaded prayers from Orthodox Christian Recorded Books . the calendar app I use is just called Orthodox Calendar developed by David Leselidze. It's pretty basic, but thorough. I think it's only Old Calendar unless there is a place to change that seeing that I don't know about.

The calendar and the audio Bible are really the only things that I would say give a net benefit to my spiritual life, the others just help me keep a baseline when I would struggle just to stay afloat.
That makes sense - I have not heard of the app you noted but it is helpful:)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Until very recently, I always used an ap for my prayers, but only because I just got a prayer book. I don't think it would prove useful, compared to the ones you are discussing, though there are some things I like about it (and I sometimes still use it).

Mostly I have used "Pray Always +"

It has morning and evening prayers, those for communion, and intercession, and lots of other prayers for specific things (the hours, journeying, thanksgiving, guidance, and so on). Mostly I have used it for morning and evening.

I also have Daily Readings, which has the saints, feasts, (including apolytikions and kontakions), as well as the daily and Gospel readings. It has a section for prayers, but I don't use it for that, since it only has a few. It does allow you to customize and add prayers to it though.

I'll have to look for the ones you all mentioned, thank you.
"Pray Always +" is one of the apps I have on my phone even though I also have a prayer book

I do not think I have daily readings :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Two versions lite (free) and regular (.99).

There is also a military version "Daily Readings Military Edition" :)
Is the Daily Readings Military Edition for free or is there a free version?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums