Liturgy of the Hours

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My wife and I listen and pray along with an on-line Compline. AND there are only seven versions of Compline, once for each day of the week.
Lol, I can't believe that I haven't noticed that. I have noticed there was repetition, I guess that explains it. Well, that sounds easy enough.

I've been trying to follow along using YouTube videos, but maybe following online might be more useful. I'd like to get to the point where I'm independent enough to just use my books, which I try sometimes, but following along gives the illusion of praying along with someone else, which includes the call and response.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Deacon Simons at St. Barnabas in Omaha NE. Don't know if he has any more.

By the way, there is a difference between the Walsingham (Great Britain) and the Chair of St Peter (North America) Ordinariates in the books they follow. The USA version is a slimmer version and the Great Britain version has way more pages. I'm not up on the exact differences but I think it comes down to the version here having few of the supplemental readings and the Walsingham one having all of them.

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks to @chevyontheriver we know that there are only seven versions of Compline that repeat, once for each day of the week. Are there any other hours that are that simple to figure out or explain?

By the way, does that Compline pattern continue even through Advent and Lent?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thanks to @chevyontheriver we know that there are only seven versions of Compline that repeat, once for each day of the week. Are there any other hours that are that simple to figure out or explain?

By the way, does that Compline pattern continue even through Advent and Lent?
As far as I know, the only seasonal difference is that an Alleluia is deleted in Lent. But that's sort of to be expected liturgically I think. Or is it that it's added after Easter. I don't remember.

Other non-seasonal variables are in hymn or poem choice, in communal penitential prayer options, and in Marian antiphon options. Otherwise the Psalms for Saturday or Sunday can be used every day of the week if desired for simplicity. I think that's the only variability.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As the spiritual assistant for the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites, OCDS group I belonged to instructed us, if you're praying
the LOTH's by yourself, it's not necessary to sing the hymn for the office.

The LOTH's was designed to be prayed in a group when the hymns are sung by the group. Some groups even chant
the psalms.

The four-volume set of the LOTH's doesn't include the music for the hymns anyway as there will often be a cantor and
organists or guitarists, who will have the music.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Did they sing them or just say them? I know parts are sung, like the hymns, and parts are stated. But on the videos I watch, most of it is sung.
It was mostly said. But occasionally they would be entirely sung on feast days.

Reactions: iarwain
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
As the spiritual assistant for the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites, OCDS group I belonged to instructed us, if you're praying
the LOTH's by yourself, it's not necessary to sing the hymn for the office.

The LOTH's was designed to be prayed in a group when the hymns are sung by the group. Some groups even chant
the psalms.

The four-volume set of the LOTH's doesn't include the music for the hymns anyway as there will often be a cantor and
organists or guitarists, who will have the music.
Yes! That's my understanding as well :)

Upvote 0