~MiScOnCePtIoNs~

B

Bevlina

crashedman said:
Hi Wolflily,

I agree with what you've said. Man, it is absolutely pathetic!
I would have stuck my fingers down my throat at her if I saw her pass me by but she'd probably go off at me with a string of every four letter word under the sun!

I don't tend to like too many Australian women as it is. Give me a nice, trim and healthy FKK girl any day with a happy, gentle spirit.

Crashedman

Ohhhhh Dario.....:doh:

Upvote 0

lozzie

Just me...
Apr 7, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟19,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
pokinatcha said:
I was thinking about things today...
I found myself suddenly asking the question, when was the last time someone actually made an effort to tell me that I'm alright just as I am? I thought about it and I really couldn't recall the last time that happened if ever. Without even knowing it, I've always felt that I was just that little bit off being alright and I could probably get there if I hung around the right people, got the right clothes...maybe changed my personality a bit...
I'm gonna take a guess and say I'm probably not alone in this. But it makes you wonder who the culprit is for making us feel this way...I guess most of it is the media and companies trying to sell us products by telling us it will improve our life somehow and we'd be incomplete without it.
But at what point were we told what the benchmark was that we have to aim for to feel adequate with our body, personality and posessions?
Makes you wish everyone would just get off our backs and start telling you that you're good how you are right now, and don't change a thing!
i can tell you right now thats why I know I am much happier than I was when I was in school. and I was quite happy in school... which is saying something. but yeah, there was definately people who would nit pick. I actually think my personality was stiffled by people at school. we shouldnt have to aim for a certain benchmark. and i think when you realise that you will be a much happier individual :)

Upvote 0

pokinatcha

Jun 15, 2004
Vic
✟15,176.00
Faith
Baptist
Western Deity said:
I think some of you make false idols of the concept of non-conformity...
I'm still trying to work out how the concept of non-conformity works...
Everyone conforms to something whether it be non-conformity. But one thing I do not conform to is hiding my problems and struggles at the risk of being called a whiner...

Upvote 0

Western Deity

you know how it is
Feb 22, 2004
✟5,081.00
Faith
Seeker
pokinatcha said:
Everyone conforms to something whether it be non-conformity.

That's the thing... people just want to be "different"... now "different" is just another group. Being proud of being fat is a fashion. Calling supermodels "skeletons" is just the latest fad.

Upvote 0

pokinatcha

Jun 15, 2004
Vic
✟15,176.00
Faith
Baptist
Western Deity said:
Being proud of being fat is a fashion. Calling supermodels "skeletons" is just the latest fad.
I really doubt that people who are overweight would consider being proud of themselves 'a fashion', that's a pretty narrow minded thing to say. It's not like when summer comes around they're going to change their body type for the new fashion. We're not trying to debate everyone's originality here or who can be the most different with their opinion of themselves. We're trying to have a serious discussion about society, body image and self worth which I consider to be a very serious matter. So please don't make it out to be a humorous petty issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

a_u_s_s_i_e_g_a_l_84

Sep 22, 2004
sydney
✟158.00
Faith
Christian
This thread is great...brought up some very powerful discussions. Many times i think about the power / control society has over the choices i make. I didn't really think about it that much till i started doing a bit of travelling and seeing the way that these people from poorer countries lived, it just highlighted how much the media controls us

I consider myself to have my own style. I just adapt the current fashion to my tastes and standards. I would hate to follow fashions 'religiously' i hate seeing people in the same clothes as me.
Learn to sew... its the coolest ever! u can make whatever clothes u want, and u don't have to be dicated by fashion

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolflily

Saved by the Grace of God, thank you Jesus!
Jan 8, 2004
New Hampshire, USA
✟10,794.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry if I caused some confusion back there. My post wasn't about being down on that overweight girl because she is overweight. It was about a startling lack of modesty and SELF RESPECT based on being influenced by a media that is only out to make a buck and doesn't give a hoot about people at all. There is also a huge difference between wearing clothes that look about fifteen, and I'm not kidding, sizes too small and wearing clothes suitable for another age bracket entirely.

There are plenty of ways to make a large body perfectly attractive - half my family is overweight and I have helped my sister and cousins with finding styles and colors that show some serious personality and do not conform to what the Brittney Spears of this world are wearing. But it is a challenge.

Still, the whole point of my story about that gal was that she was completely oblivious to the reality of her body size and is trying to look like something she (at this moment in time) is not. She should be developing a healthy self image and a personal style that has nothing to do with what's popular at the moment.

Upvote 0
C

crashedman

Bevlina said:
Now....you are a girl with astute sense Aussiegal!
Why should people allow themselves to be controlled by the media and what others wear? I remember when the test bombing on the Island Bikini Atoll blew up modesty and women started to run around in bikini's....all media stuff encouraged it. Now...they w

Have bikinis made the beaches violent, dangerous places to go to as a result?
Although string bikinis don't really interest me, if a woman wants to wear them that is her right.

Even bikini clad girls were a part of the welcoming party when CHOGM was held up on the Sunshine Coast in 2002. Nobody complained about them, although I remember some feminazis and commie groups wanting a boycott of the meeting for fear of terrorist attacks after the Sydney Hilton was bombed back in 1959.

What both irks and amuses me are double standards applied to beach attire. I would have thought that in these days of equality and enlightenment that society would have gotten over them by now.

I remember the cartoon of the shapely bikini clad woman being yelled at by an irate beach male beach inspector with distended breasts and an overhanging belly for being 'obscene'. Ugh!! :sick:

Crashedman

Upvote 0