Misconceptions that Christians have about the faith

Datak

Feb 7, 2015
✟7,641.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Non-Christians are often fed misconceptions about Christianity by people of their own particular faith (an example of a misconception being proliferated by people of another faith might be the often-cited "Christians are polytheists" which many Muslims assert without the need to even ask a Christian) but it is also true that Christians may have misconceptions about their own religion, told by other Christians; people of any faith are likely to have this problem.

I'm asking what misconceptions Christians have about the faith as I feel it would enlighten me as a non-Christian and even perhaps other Christians. While debate is welcome, I do not wish this to become a dispute. This thread is not for disagreements between Christians of different stripes (e.g. denominational differences) but for beliefs Christians may have that can be labeled "un-Christian" or even heresy that some Christians might actually believe. If debate does occur, it will give me the green-light to research it myself and gain a better understanding, and help me avoid accruing false beliefs that I hear from Christians in the future.

Thanks for your participation!

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Non-Christians are often fed misconceptions about Christianity by people of their own particular faith (an example of a misconception being proliferated by people of another faith might be the often-cited "Christians are polytheists" which many Muslims assert without the need to even ask a Christian) but it is also true that Christians may have misconceptions about their own religion, told by other Christians; people of any faith are likely to have this problem.

I'm asking what misconceptions Christians have about the faith as I feel it would enlighten me as a non-Christian and even perhaps other Christians. While debate is welcome, I do not wish this to become a dispute. This thread is not for disagreements between Christians of different stripes (e.g. denominational differences) but for beliefs Christians may have that can be labeled "un-Christian" or even heresy that some Christians might actually believe. If debate does occur, it will give me the green-light to research it myself and gain a better understanding, and help me avoid accruing false beliefs that I hear from Christians in the future.

Good point to make. What I have found lately is a lack of biblical support for the following most popular Christian doctrines:

Everlasting Torment: - whereas there is prophecy in Revelation regarding those who worshipped the beast and persecuted the faithful to God, their smoke goes up forever. But this is stated about those who worshipped the beast. All other references to those who are not given everlasting life describe everlasting destruction. That is: everlasting life vs everlasting death. Not everlasting torment.

Substitutionary Atonement: - the idea that because Adam and Eve cause damage to God's creation, that mankind owes God, or that God cannot forgive mankind unless a man makes an equivalent payment. Whereas the scriptures never explicitly state this, and as I am researching it now, seems to have evolved over the last thousand years or so, having been introduced by St Anselm of Canterbury.

Saved by faith: - that those who believe certain things and have performed certain rituals are saved while those who don't believe certain doctrines and perform certain rituals aren't. Jesus said "Not everyone who calls me 'Lord, Lord' will enter heaven, but only those who do the will of my father in heaven. They will say 'didn't we do wonderful things in your name? and I will say to them 'Get away from me, you people who work iniquity". And, if you look at His description of the criteria of His judgement as specified in Matthew 25:31, you will see He is describing that He will take those who are going to make the next world into heaven and He will discard those who will make it into hell.

There are other things too that Christians seem to believe that don't seem true, as I encounter from time to time, but these are the major ones that come to mind right now as I have found to be most common/popular and those that cause the most harm to Jesus Christ's campaign that is "In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence." - and "But the time is coming —indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way."

I do have very good reasons to say these things, and I can produce scripture and perspective on scripture that demonstrates these doctrines have been introduced after the bible was written, and therefore are doctrines based on the bible but not necessarily derived from the bible. I also have confidence that scriptures produced in support of these doctrines can be explained without need for these doctrines. That demonstrates to me that these doctrines are not necessarily true, and because they seem to contradict the actual message that the scriptures produce, I consider controversial and to preach as matter of fact is misleading.

Popularity does not define the truth, nor does a rubber stamp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

As Graceandpeace mentioned that can get complicated because even among implicit/explicit Nicene confessors there are plenty of differences and expectations.

I would point most specifically to misconceptions over points of theology. An example would be the Trinity. The doctrine of the Trinity is very well defined within historic Christian teaching, though there are chiefly two different approaches differing between the Eastern Churches and the Western Churches. But it isn't terribly uncommon for Christians to be confused or to have misconceptions about the Trinity. I've frequently encountered Christians who, as it turns out, have a view of the Trinity that is quite heterodox. Through being improperly taught in their church or otherwise, they've come to think of the Trinity in Modalistic terms, so rather than being Trinitarian, they are Modalist.

A frequent example that shows up more often in discussions I see is a lot of misconceptions and confusion about the historic teaching that Mary is Theotokos (God-bearer), the mother of God. Largely due to explicit or implicit fear or prejudice against Roman Catholicism and anything seemingly "too Catholic" this is often deeply misunderstood. So when I, a Lutheran, or another traditional Christian refers to the Blessed Virgin as "mother of God" or as "Theotokos" we are meaning that Mary, being the mother of Jesus Christ, had God Incarnate in her womb and gave birth to Him, and raised Him as her real and actual child, because He, being human, is her child. But the misconception is that it elevates Mary to the position of godhood or demigodhood, that it is saying that Mary is above God, and gave birth to to the whole Trinity. Which it has never meant, it has only ever meant that Mary's child, Jesus, is really and actually God. I have found that this misconception can be very difficult to break through because certain prejudices are very hard to overcome.

Another I notice is confusion about what is meant when we confess faith in "one holy catholic Church" (Apostles' Creed) or "one holy catholic and apostolic Church" (Nicene Creed). It's the word "catholic" that befuddles some, because many are only familiar with catholic referring to Roman Catholicism, rather than in its historic meaning as referring to the catholicity of the Christian Church, that the Church exists spread out all over, sharing together in a common faith and Baptism in the unity of Jesus by the Holy Spirit.

Misconceptions can often also abound in regard to the Sacraments. Many non-Sacramental Christians imagine that the traditional understanding of the Sacraments of Baptism and the Lord's Supper as efficacious means of grace means that these are "works" to be done in order to merit favor with God; but that isn't the historic understanding. While differences of opinion exist among traditional churches concerning the nature and meaning of these two Sacraments, there remains a shared belief that they are efficacious channels through which God has promised to operate in order to accomplish what He has said He would accomplish. That is to say, in Baptism we are promised forgiveness of sins, union with Christ in His death and resurrection, etc and God, therefore, in Baptism accomplishes that which has been promised in it. Likewise, in the Lord's Supper there is the promise of Christ's body broken for us, and His blood shed for us, therefore here there is indeed the body and blood of Christ broken and shed for us, and God does what He has promised by it. As such Baptism and the Lord's Supper are not understood or seen as things we do for God, but things God does and promises for us, they are the Gospel in visible form.

So those are some misconceptions, either about Christianity itself, or about more traditional forms of Christianity specifically.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Datak,

From what I see, one misconception among Christians is that the Bible has to be an utterly inerrant work in order to be respected as the Word of God. I don't think this has to be the case. All the Bible really "has to be," at minimum, is a human product created, even derivatively, by way of motivation provided by God. The motivation doesn't necessitate a download of exacting data into human brains. All it requires is His imposition upon the writers to act for sake of truth and be as truthful as possible when doing so.

2PhiloVoid

Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟61,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[QUOTE="Datak, post:

I'm asking what misconceptions Christians have about the faith as I feel it would enlighten me as a non-Christian and even perhaps other Christians.
![/QUOTE]

What is perhaps misunderstood by many Christians is that trying to debate doctrine with non-believers is futile. While you may have a whole head full of questions and thoughts regarding Christianity you will be searching the rest of your life and make no progress. Things of the Spirit are foolishness to one who is unsaved and no amount of head knowledge will suffice. You must be born again. You can discus or debate Biblical matters til the cows come home, but you will be left with nothing unless/until you accept Christ as your personal Lord and God.
That's the plain and simple truth of the matter. But you are free to search if you wish. Perhaps in your search The Father will reveal His Son to you. It is only by the indwelling of The Holy Spirit....Christ in us...that we are given understanding of spiritual matters. By your own confession you do not have the indwelling of The Holy Spirit. But God gives each of us just enough faith to believe unto salvation. That and only that faith is all you will ever have unless you act on it and accept Christ.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While popularity is not the basis of Bible Truth, the three items you have mentioned are certainly not misunderstandings, but are held by most Christians to be Bible Truth. Without substitutionary atonement there is no Gospel, without saving faith there is no salvation, and with eternal torment there is no Hell. Since you have already decided that these are false teachings, there would be no point in going further.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I suppose one of the most deeply entrenched ones is a soul which floats up to heaven at the moment of death, whereas the Bible speaks of a bodily resurrection at the end of time.
There's no conflict here either. When a Christian dies, the body goes to the grave to await the resurrection, while the soul and spirit go to be with Christ. At the Rapture/Resurrection, the Lord brings all the saints with Him, reunities them to their resurrection bodies, and takes them back to Heaven.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Datak,

From what I see, one misconception among Christians is that the Bible has to be an utterly inerrant work in order to be respected as the Word of God.
If the Bible is a direct revelation form God, then by definition it must be inerrant in the autographs. God is perfect, therefore His inspired Word must be perfect in every detail. Even Muslims believe that their Koran is inerrant, how much more Christians who have the truth and Christ.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While popularity is not the basis of Bible Truth, the three items you have mentioned are certainly not misunderstandings, but are held by most Christians to be Bible Truth. Without substitutionary atonement there is no Gospel, without saving faith there is no salvation, and with eternal torment there is no Hell. Since you have already decided that this are false teachings, there would be no point in going further.

This is not the proper place for Christians to debate doctrine anyway, but yes I have welcomed OP to investigate my claims. If OP decides to do that, then it will become evident that these are controversial doctrines. Your response here reflects an inability for you to imagine that there is a different view on God's purpose and conclusions of the facts than what you have become conditioned to believe. But actually neither Substitutionary Atonement, Requirement of Specific Belief, or Everlasting Torment are necessarily implied by scripture. Contrary to what you have said here, they are not necessary doctrines for understanding God's purpose and actions, but instead what it reflects is that you have not been exposed to a point of view of the scriptures other than what you have chosen to believe.

I would rather encourage you to do some research into these doctrines and alternative perspectives instead of closing your mind to it, because being informed will strengthen your position, whatever that ends up being. Plus, it is not for you to decide whether I continue in faith or not, it is His.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ad hominem remarks do not contribute to the truth. The fact is that J.N. Darby was a genuine Christian (a born-again believer) and Dispensational truth is found in Scripture and confirmed by the writings of some of the Early Church Fathers. I would challenge anyone to call it "heretical". Darby did not "invent" anything, and this is just a regurgitation of anti-Dispensational propaganda. It appears that you know next to nothing about this system of Bible interpretation.

You aren't going to find anything distinctly Dispensationalist in any of the writings of the Fathers. Though I've seen some intentionally misquote the fathers. The favorite being St. Irenaeus who is misquoted (indeed the same quote floats around the internet on Dispensationalist websites). Problem, of course, is that if anyone were to bother and read the actual writings of Ireneaus they'd immediately see how he is being misquoted.

At best it can be said that a number of the Fathers were Millennialists, and insofar as Dispensationalism is Premillennialist there is a superficial similarity with ancient Millennialism.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Datac. Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ our Saviour, and our Christian brothers and sisters.
In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus gave us some good advice: " The first and great Commandment is
Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself."
On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets, verse 40. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told:
" ask and you shall receive," we ask God for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all love and Joy with our neighbour: all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. God sees our loving efforts, and God will approve and bless us. Love is very catching, and a Christian`s weapon is love and compassion. Love will always save us from all enmity and nastiness and wrong behaviour. The Bible tells us to " Repent and to be Born Again," we give up all selfish wishes and wants, and start loving and caring. People will treat us, as we treat people, with kindness and always friendly words. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on being loving and kind. The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. Christianity is always following Christ in all we say or do, our lives will be worth living, in Love and Joy.
I say this with love, Datac. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ. P.S. We will never know a life living more joyful
and filled with love and compassion.

Upvote 0

As a former atheist, I suggest doing what I did ... go through the teachings of Christ (many of which can be found in Matthew chapters 5, 6 and 7) and see how today's professing Christians line up with what Christ taught. If you do this, please get back to me and let me know what you think.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

Folks, this is not the forum to debate denominational differences or to attack the beliefs of other Christians. The OP does have this:

This thread is not for disagreements between Christians of different stripes (e.g. denominational differences) but for beliefs Christians may have that can be labeled "un-Christian" or even heresy that some Christians might actually believe.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Good point to make. What I have found lately is a lack of biblical support for the following most popular Christian doctrines:

Everlasting Torment: - whereas there is prophecy in Revelation regarding those who worshipped the beast and persecuted the faithful to God, their smoke goes up forever. But this is stated about those who worshipped the beast. All other references to those who are not given everlasting life describe everlasting destruction. That is: everlasting life vs everlasting death. Not everlasting torment.

Substitutionary Atonement: - the idea that because Adam and Eve cause damage to God's creation, that mankind owes God, or that God cannot forgive mankind unless a man makes an equivalent payment. Whereas the scriptures never explicitly state this, and as I am researching it now, seems to have evolved over the last thousand years or so, having been introduced by St Anselm of Canterbury.

Saved by faith: - that those who believe certain things and have performed certain rituals are saved while those who don't believe certain doctrines and perform certain rituals aren't. Jesus said "Not everyone who calls me 'Lord, Lord' will enter heaven, but only those who do the will of my father in heaven. They will say 'didn't we do wonderful things in your name? and I will say to them 'Get away from me, you people who work iniquity". And, if you look at His description of the criteria of His judgement as specified in Matthew 25:31, you will see He is describing that He will take those who are going to make the next world into heaven and He will discard those who will make it into hell.

There are other things too that Christians seem to believe that don't seem true, as I encounter from time to time, but these are the major ones that come to mind right now as I have found to be most common/popular and those that cause the most harm to Jesus Christ's campaign that is "In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence." - and "But the time is coming —indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way."

I do have very good reasons to say these things, and I can produce scripture and perspective on scripture that demonstrates these doctrines have been introduced after the bible was written, and therefore are doctrines based on the bible but not necessarily derived from the bible. I also have confidence that scriptures produced in support of these doctrines can be explained without need for these doctrines. That demonstrates to me that these doctrines are not necessarily true, and because they seem to contradict the actual message that the scriptures produce, I consider controversial and to preach as matter of fact is misleading.

I'm a Christian and besides your first point, I have no idea exactly what you mean with your other points.

Seems very vague to me. I hope you can clarify and be more specific because the OP really deserves a clear understanding of what you are saying. I wouldn't mind a clear explanation either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a Christian and besides your first point, I have no idea exactly what you mean with your other points.

Seems very vague to me. I hope you can clarify and be more specific because the OP really deserves a clear understanding of what you are saying. I wouldn't mind a clear explanation either.
It's a fair comment, however to do this for you here will be against the forum rules and because there is going to be so much desire for Christians to respond to me, and I will desire to respond to them, it probably will get the thread locked. The rules here allow OP to converse with me on this thread, but nobody else.

So I welcome OP to do that, because it is natural if someone has become accustomed to seeing something in one way only, and accepted that it looks that way, to be told it actually looks different, well you are evidently surprised.

I am going to PM you about this though, because I think you want to know and deserve to know, that God is gracious, loving and kind, and that He has never desired to punish His own son. His son brought Him joy, because He is the one who reconciles us to God, and He is the propitiation for sin!

I will just say while I am saying here, nobody is chosen for everlasting life because they have said Jesus is their Lord, but because they have accepted Jesus as their Lord. They will obey Him, they will repent when He tells them to, and He has promised to forgive them. That is the only way that propitiation can work. There is no "undo" key in life, there is no way to balance the scales. Forgiveness is the only way to live with past wrongs.

Upvote 0