Misconceptions about Evolutionary Creationism (or Theistic Evolution)

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟17,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
ok. I've read the essay you've presented from Matthew Dowling.

Now, here is an article some time back by Mano Singham, and I think he does a decent job of describing the intrinsic, conceptual problems with asserting that Intelligent Design, or even Creation Science, is science and not pseudo-science. The article is a little on the older side now, but it gets at the heart of the problem. Of course, it's also not the last word on this debate and there is so very much more that could be added from my sources. But for now, this article will suffice as an ice-breaker ...

... where I.D. is concerned, we're in an open, ongoing discussion, despite what Philosophical Naturalists or Philosophical Design advocates may want to aver for otherwise:

Singham, Mano. "Philosophy is essential to the intelligent design debate." Physics Today 55, no. 6 (2002): 48-50.​
Ok. I've read the article you provided. There are some issues with the points that Mr. Singham's makes, but we'll just bat these points around and, quite frankly, I'm not an expert in the nuances of these issues.

My point is that those who are the experts, who could provide alternative views, are being silenced. I.D. people are not published in Physics Today so they can't respond to Mr. Singham's four points. Here is another article from Physics Today just a few months after they published Mr. Singham's article.

Intelligent Design Tangles Science and Religion​
Again, the negative slant of connecting science and religion. At least since 2002, for twenty-two years, Physics Today has not published ONE article that provides a favorable view on I.D. This only proves what I stated that Christian scientists, who might provide alternate explanations are being silence and discredited. This is happening with Climate Change. Same thing. If you don't believe in global warming, you're a "Climate Denier" and you will not be published. If you cannot publish, then you perish. Simple rule.

Quite frankly, if it wasn't for the Internet we wouldn't even hear about I.D from these scientists.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok. I've read the article you provided. There are some issues with the points that Mr. Singham's makes, but we'll just bat these points around and, quite frankly, I'm not an expert in the nuances of these issues.

My point is that those who are the experts, who could provide alternative views, are being silenced. I.D. people are not published in Physics Today so they can't respond to Mr. Singham's four points. Here is another article from Physics Today just a few months after they published Mr. Singham's article.

Again, the negative slant of connecting science and religion. At least since 2002, for twenty-two years, Physics Today has not published ONE article that provides a favorable view on I.D. This only proves what I stated that Christian scientists, who might provide alternate explanations are being silence and discredited. This is happening with Climate Change. Same thing. If you don't believe in global warming, you're a "Climate Denier" and you will not be published. If you cannot publish, then you perish. Simple rule.

Quite frankly, if it wasn't for the Internet we wouldn't even hear about I.D from these scientists.

It is the height of logical inconsistency to admit on one hand that you don't understand the nuances of the issues involved, but on the other to all too firmly assert that the kick-back among the secular crowd "proves" that there is persecution.

No, I'm going to save the term "persecution" for when I see Christians being banished from their own countries of birth, beaten in the streets for their faith, sent to prison for expressing peaceably their faith, and/or martyred.

But to say that being criticized and prohibited from publishing in secular journals and book houses for particular reasons specific to science isn't really "persecution." For you to claim that it is is an inflation of the term. And additionally.....................and here's the kicker, EVEN IF secular scientists concede to the conceptual measures that some design is present here or there, those markers don't in any direct way point to the God of the Bible. As you should already know, Skeptics bring in the obvious counter explanation that, for all anyone knows, it was the Flying Spaghetti Monster(s) who came to earth and created the earliest life forms. (Skeptics love that Meme!!)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And yes, I quickly read your return article by Jim A. Van Vechten. All it does is question the finality of atheistically leaning evolutionary theorizing; that same questioning is something I'm more than happy to do and always have done.

By the way, are you familiar with the difference between Methodological Naturalism and Philosophical Naturalism?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟17,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It is the height of logical inconsistency to admit on one hand that you don't understand the nuances of the issues involved, but on the other to all too firmly assert that the kick-back among the secular crowd "proves" that there is persecution.

No, I'm going to save the term "persecution" for when I see Christians being banished from their own countries of birth, beaten in the streets for their faith, sent to prison for expressing peaceably their faith, and/or martyred.

But to say that being criticized and prohibited from publishing in secular journals and book houses for particular reasons specific to science isn't really "persecution." For you to claim that it is is an inflation of the term. And additionally.....................and here's the kicker, EVEN IF secular scientists concede to the conceptual measures that some design is present here or there, those markers don't in any direct way point to the God of the Bible. As you should already know, Skeptics bring in the obvious counter explanation that, for all anyone knows, it was the Flying Spaghetti Monster(s) who came to earth and created the earliest life forms. (Skeptics love that Meme!!)
It's not inconsistent to say I don't believe in evolution based upon what a bunch of secular scientists tell me. I've been around the block. And even in your article, the author admits that they don't have all the answers but are making assumptions. And, yes, it is persecution if you cannot publish you will not be accepted into various groups or keep your job at universities. Livelihoods is at stake. It is no different than some Chinese who accept Christ who will lose their job and housing. History tells us Nicodemus was kicked out of the synagogue for simply believing in Christ. Same exact thing. This is what Christ warned us of.

I don't believe you can prove one way or the other in the existence of God through science and genetic markers. But to try to argue that genetics proves evolution, well, that's a total fabrication made up by "scientists" who can't even tell if a person is a boy or a girl. Perhaps if they looked at their DNA.

Unfortunately, Christians take this dribble as gospel.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not inconsistent to say I don't believe in evolution based upon what a bunch of secular scientists tell me. I've been around the block. And even in your article, the author admits that they don't have all the answers but are making assumptions. And, yes, it is persecution if you cannot publish you will not be accepted into various groups or keep your job at universities. Livelihoods is at stake. It is no different than some Chinese who accept Christ who will lose their job and housing. History tells us Nicodemus was kicked out of the synagogue for simply believing in Christ. Same exact thing. This is what Christ warned us of.

I don't believe you can prove one way or the other in the existence of God through science and genetic markers. But to try to argue that genetics proves evolution, well, that's a total fabrication made up by "scientists" who can't even tell if a person is a boy or a girl. Perhaps if they looked at their DNA.

Unfortunately, Christians take this dribble as gospel.

And unfortunately, some Christians also think that the term "evolution" itself somehow conceptually PRECLUDES God's involvement, when it does no such thing. If they do so, it is often because they not only have a misconception about the term itself, but also as to how mainstream science works (by which I mean to refer to the application of Methodological Naturalism).

Anyway. The upshot of it all is this: personally, as a Christian, there is nothing in my theology requiring me to insist that other Christians interpret the first 11 chapters of Genesis in the same way I do. If other Christians read those chapters and feel the 'need' to interpret those more literally, then that's fine by me as long as they don't begin to start throwing mud balls at me. If they do, all I'll do in return is suggest some additional reading material (books or journal articles) they might engage and see if they can clearly refute it.

In fact, as a starter, I might suggest they read something like:

Hoffmeier, James K., Gordon John Wenham, and Kenton Sparks. Genesis: History, fiction, or neither?: Three views on the Bible’s earliest chapters. Zondervan Academic, 2015.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You say you're a follower of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. I take you at your word. But what exactly are you basing your faith on? A flawed document that you believe might not be true in spots?
Ultimately, I'm basing it on God. I take the Bible seriously because it points me to God, even though yes, it's a flawed document -- I don't believe in God because of some kind of prior faith in the Bible. What would be the basis for that faith? That certainly doesn't resemble Biblical notions of faith. When gentile responded to Paul's preaching and started to follow Christ, what were they basing their faith on? On an infallible book, or on the preaching of a fallible human?
If we want to believe it's like "Of Mice and Men" or "Great Expectations", or even the Book of Mormons, then we have nothing to base our faith on.
Those are the only two choices you see? Inerrant or fiction? You've never learned anything important from a fallible but pretty accurate book?

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟17,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ultimately, I'm basing it on God. I take the Bible seriously because it points me to God, even though yes, it's a flawed document -- I don't believe in God because of some kind of prior faith in the Bible. What would be the basis for that faith? That certainly doesn't resemble Biblical notions of faith. When gentile responded to Paul's preaching and started to follow Christ, what were they basing their faith on? On an infallible book, or on the preaching of a fallible human?

Those are the only two choices you see? Inerrant or fiction? You've never learned anything important from a fallible but pretty accurate book?
I certainly learned a lot from this conversation.

Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟17,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
And unfortunately, some Christians also think that the term "evolution" itself somehow conceptually PRECLUDES God's involvement, when it does no such thing. If they do so, it is often because they not only have a misconception about the term itself, but also as to how mainstream science works (by which I mean to refer to the application of Methodological Naturalism).

Anyway. The upshot of it all is this: personally, as a Christian, there is nothing in my theology requiring me to insist that other Christians interpret the first 11 chapters of Genesis in the same way I do. If other Christians read those chapters and feel the 'need' to interpret those more literally, then that's fine by me as long as they don't begin to start throwing mud balls at me. If they do, all I'll do in return is suggest some additional reading material (books or journal articles) they might engage and see if they can clearly refute it.

In fact, as a starter, I might suggest they read something like:

Hoffmeier, James K., Gordon John Wenham, and Kenton Sparks. Genesis: History, fiction, or neither?: Three views on the Bible’s earliest chapters. Zondervan Academic, 2015.​
Is this one of the books you recommend? It is no wonder you hold the views you do. I find it difficult to read material by writers like Sparks (one of the three views) who doesn't believe there was a Garden of Eden, no tree of life, no world wide flood, etc. It boggles my mind how Christians can simply disregard or dismiss parts of the scriptures as myths or stories made up. It is no wonder Christianity is in the state it is in when Christians doesn't know what God states.

Here is a review of this book by The Gospel Coalition-hardly a radical publication.

Genesis: History, Fiction, or Neither?: Three Views on the Bible’s Earliest Chapters​

Unfortunately, a young earth model is not included in the three views.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this one of the books you recommend? It is no wonder you hold the views you do. I find it difficult to read material by writers like Sparks (one of the three views) who doesn't believe there was a Garden of Eden, no tree of life, no world wide flood, etc. It boggles my mind how Christians can simply disregard or dismiss parts of the scriptures as myths or stories made up. It is no wonder Christianity is in the state it is in when Christians doesn't know what God states.

Here is a review of this book by The Gospel Coalition-hardly a radical publication.

Genesis: History, Fiction, or Neither?: Three Views on the Bible’s Earliest Chapters​

Unfortunately, a young earth model is not included in the three views.

Yes, that is one of the Christian books among dozens upon dozens upon dozens I have, or have read, that I recommend.

What I find funny is that you say you think it is no wonder I hold the views I do, when you don't know the half of it. Fellow Christians who have a penchant to criticize and "warn others about me" should really be thanking the Lord that I'm not an anti-christian atheist. With as much as I know, I'd be one of the worst ones if I were. As it is, I live and let live as long as other Christians don't start punking me. If they do, then they should know not to swim in the intellectual ocean of education ...

But as it is, and in a similar fashion to what @sfs has stated in his latest posts just above, Jesus still worked in my life to bring me to Him, even if I have a very different Epistemological outlook on how the Bible is to be assessed as historical and as to how it can even "be" the Word of God.

So, with that, I'll just say, be blessed in your own faith in Christ and maybe, if you get a chance, consider putting a dash of Romans 14 salt on the issue of Evolution.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Note that none of this has anything to do with evolution. I accept evolution because it is by far the best explanation for a wide range of empirical data. I don't think the Bible is inerrant or expresses a single theology because I've read the Bible. One can believe in an inerrant Bible and still accept evolution.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Note that none of this has anything to do with evolution. I accept evolution because it is by far the best explanation for a wide range of empirical data. I don't think the Bible is inerrant or expresses a single theology because I've read the Bible. One can believe in an inerrant Bible and still accept evolution.

And I would say the same thing as you.

Upvote 0